Am I the only Vinyl Junkie™ on myLot?

By JJ
I don't necessarily mean the facebook group (there are over 20,000 of us there and I proudly wear a t-shirt from them) but I seem to be the only person I see here on myLot that still prefers his/her music on a vinyl format. These days, vinyl appears to be a 'hip' thing to many people, a 'fad' so to speak...but for many, vinyl still is, and always will be, 'king' of the music reproduction scene. Serious audiophiles know that you can't get the same kind of sound from a CD or an mp3 (or other kind of digital file) that you can get from a good turntable, cartridge, stylus, amp, and speakers. Yeah...it gets a bit expensive these days. For the serious listener, a good turntable/cartridge combination can run several hundred dollars. And you can't buy new vinyl cheap either, with most new albums starting around $20 and running upwards of $50 or more. But let's face it...it's an addiction, and I am an addict. A junkie. A Vinyl Junkie. And I wouldn't have it any other way.
Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
There are a few on here that do a lot of music discussions but I'm not sure that they particularly are into vinyl. I'm not a big music fan, anything I listen to is on youtube or the radio in my car or at work. I don't have any sort of stereo equipment.
If I took all my stereo stuff and sound equipment and sold it, I could have a fairly big chunk of change...but I can't even imagine life without it
@Mike197602 (13363)
• Worcester, England
@JolietJake plus it brings in money when you rent it out.
@Mike197602 The vinyl alone would probably bring in more than everything else combined if I sold them individually on eBay
@ilocosboy (34344)
Maybe yes, but you know, I have some vinyl records too but not using it because I am hooked to digital, but nice idea, maybe I should look back at those sounds.
@vandana7 (62332)
I will settle for anything that sings and lets me sing ...I am in that kinda desperation now...waiting for it to be five thirty...smh...dads can be ...DADS.
...what's with DAD?
@vandana7 (62332)
@hora_fugit ... he took away my speakers...because he wanted to hear Narendra Modi's interview / speech and I was in the kitchen with some dishes..screaming my guts out with the song. He was to return it...he is not at home..very clever.
@vandana7 locks?
Oh absolutely not as I ventured to a local 'old school' vinyl shop and bought 4 Neil Diamond albums for $15
Unfortunately I have to travel 30-40 miles out of town to find any shops. I've been doing quite a bit of purchasing through eBay lately
@JolietJake oh aren't you disappointed with some of the quality of stuff from eBay ? Sorry you have to travel so far for vinyl . . .
@enlightenedpsych2 I only buy from reputable sellers there, mainly stores
@cindiowens (3843)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
I haven't had vinyl in years. While I will admit the sound is greater, I'm just not that into it. I am into music though. I used to get so excited when my new albums would come in the mail. Remember that "club" you could join and get 10 albums for the price of one??? Those were the days.
BMG, Columbia Record Club, RCA, several companies used to do that.
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
@JolietJake I probably did them all. Some had better choices than others, although I can't differentiate them now. I think I was the most excited when I got my Rush-Moving Pictures. Then my mom threw it away because of the pictures on the cover. I bought it again and hid the cover. She actually liked the music, didn't know it was the same album, lol. Maybe I should tell her now?....NAH!
@cindiowens Love the instrumental 'YYZ' on that one
@nanette64 (17103)
• Fairfield, Texas
Even though I have a couple of boxes of vinyl albums, I have nothing to play them on @JolietJake . Dang it.
I got a good deal on mine, bought it used from a fellow vendor at a record fair I was selling at, gave him $40 for it and then spent a couple bucks replacing the stylus
@nanette64 (17103)
• Fairfield, Texas
@JolietJake That's a good price.
We're not vinyl junkies here, but we do have a pretty good selection of albums, as well as a good turntable. My husband and I never held on to the cassette tapes or even the 8-tracks, they didn't that they had the longevity that albums enjoyed.
I still have a few 8-tracks and cassettes, but they don't get much play unless I am showing them to someone.
@JolietJake Wow, your collection is huge!
We still have a lot of vinyl records but we never play them. We have a turntable but I shouldn't imagine it is very high quality.
I keep about 15,000 songs on my computer for when I supply music at events, but I listen pretty much to nothing but albums at the house
@Theresaaiza (10454)
Unfortunately, I wasn't born yet when Vinyls were a fad. I remember cassette tapes though but I'm pretty sure they pale in comparison to Vinyls. I love the idea of people like you keeping them alive, I, however, would not want to go back to cassette tapes though. :)
Last night my son told me, "music is way much better in vinyl!" That shocked me! He's 12! But I guess he's right. I was born in the cassette tape generation but we did have vinyls at home. Once in awhile my sister and I would play a record and just enjoy the music though they weren't in our generation. Those vinyls are still at my parents' house.
no space, no monies, as it is I listen to my music for free on youtube
Genre - Electronic Music Style - Acid Jazz Music - United Future Organization - Vinyl Junkie Released - 1993 Country - Japan Label - Brownswood Records © PHC...
@FourWalls (12903)
I don't buy new vinyl, but boy do I have a ton of old stuff!
I still have some vinyl in the closet. One turntable that works left.
@sugartoes (39235)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I still have ALL my cassettes that we've had for the last 30 or more yrs so I am a junkie on my cassettes like you are about your albums you play, I have like about 300 or more of all kinds of music back in the day & still sound just as good too.
haha dinosaur is right.
RAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!