Organizing the Kitchen Pantry is Not as Easy as it Sounds

Portland, Connecticut
I have finally gotten my kitchen pantry organized, well sort of organized. I started with the bottom drawer and put in all the soups and other canned goods. That worked well. The next to the bottom shelf was the baking goods. That is when I found out I had three containers off flour, two of brown sugar and at least three containers of chocolate chips. I have more baking supplies than will fit in this drawer and it is large. I continued through the other three drawers and ended up with the top drawer being a mish-mash of items that wouldn't fit in their correct drawer, sigh!! So much for organization!! I did throw out all the outdated items, none of them was very outdated but honestly, I need the space so I just chucked them which I feel is so wasteful. I am getting the cleaning urge so I suspect that I am going to be chucking a giving away a lot more over the next few weeks. How is your first full week of September going?
ours is going good so far.Just started.Hope the rest of the week will be fine
• Portland, Connecticut
For us I guess the track that Hermine takes will influence things.
@BelleStarr Not doing anything here.Except on the coast.Was hoping to get some rain here
did'ja know that'cha can freeze some 'f that flour? my first week 'f september's been a bit 'f a pain...literally 'n figuratively.
• Portland, Connecticut
unfortunately, I have less room in my freezer than I do in my pantry lol. Thanks for the suggestion, it is a good idea.
@BelleStarr bless yer heart :D yer welcome!
@simone10 (22242)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I have had a good week so far. I can't wait to see what this week holds for me.
• Portland, Connecticut
We have a cool day today but we have horrible heat coming back. This is the summer that will never end!!
@simone10 (22242)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@BelleStarr I know, it really does seem to be that way, doesn't it? We are supposed to have another cool front coming through. I'm not sure how long it will last but I'm going to treasure it.
@epiffanie (8320)
I am also organising my pantry .. but it's only happening inside my mind
• Portland, Connecticut
lol Well so far my bedroom is also just in my mind!! lol
@epiffanie (8320)
@BelleStarr same here
Well, darn. Now I need to organize the pantry. Did not have that on my list, but do now. I bet we have quite a few things in there that are rather old by now.
• Portland, Connecticut
lol Oh dear, I plan to tackle the closets next, should I issue a warning?
@BelleStarr Well, since husband and pup will travel to Florida this week to visit his mom. I make him take Molly since he does go off on short trips with his old fraternity brothers. I clean every inch of this house without interruption and have so much fun. The closets here will be neat as can be, like yours.
That sounds good, a big job/chore done. I find what works best here is keeping all unopened cans and glass jars on shelving in our basement, and only opened stuff in the cupboards. That just leaves open cereal boxes, bags of pasta, which I store in plastic containers, and my baking and cooking additives. I have a beautiful tall pantry, and surprisingly enough, its not chuck full, but full enough that you can manoveur thru it, and that's just the open bags of pasta, rice, cereal, freezer bags and so on.
• Portland, Connecticut
I have bad knees so going up and down stairs to get my closed cans etc would not be comfortable. Luckily I have a very good size pantry cupboard.
@thelme55 (12515)
I have to clean my pantry as well and buy some canned foods and some other ingredients for my baking cakes. Thanks for reminding me.
• Portland, Connecticut
Your welcome. I am in the mood to bake so I got nuts and other things I like to use.
Now you know you have duplicates of things you'll be able to get rid of the extras over time which will give you a bit more space.
• Portland, Connecticut
Yes as I use some I can combine the flours and chocolate bits together.
@cahaya1983 (10185)
I feel you, lol. I need to start browsing through those nicely organized pantry pictures on Pinterest for inspiration right now!!
• Portland, Connecticut
lol I can't if I look at Pinterest I don't come out for hours lol
Not an easy job but we'll worth it when it is all done.
• Portland, Connecticut
lol Yes but if only it would work out so that I could have things organized the right way!!
You are right, not that easy to organize the pantry.
• Portland, Connecticut
I always start out good and then it rather goes to pot!! lol