Vintage Napier

Napier
@Inlemay (17031)
South Africa
Another one of the postcards that arrived was from the Napier area in New Zealand - this I didnt know until I read that it had arrived from @valmnz who is one of the few followers we have down under. "On 3 February 1931, most of Napier and nearby Hastings were levelled by an earthquake. The collapses of buildings and the ensuing fires killed 256 people. The centre of the town was destroyed by the earthquake, and later rebuilt in the Art Deco style popular at that time." Interesting enough the postcard sets a mood of a Vintage era. . . the mood is attributed to their great Art Deco Week which sets the scene of almost a moment captured in time. Imagine how awesome it must be to dress up and enjoying the old cars, the older buildings and a feeling from an age gone by. "Napier is the nexus of the largest wool centre in the Southern Hemisphere, and it has the primary export seaport for northeastern New Zealand – which is the largest producer of apples, pears, and stone fruit in New Zealand. Napier has also become an important grape and wine production area, with the grapes grown around Hastings and Napier being sent through the Port of Napier for export" Strangely enough we have a little town called Napier in South Africa named after Sir George Thomas Napier - not as Historically remembered as the Napier of New Zealand but just as quaint. Thank you Val for giving me a thought with sending this magnificent card to add to my collection. I absolutely love it! I love the stamp of the Abel Tasman Scenic Reserve - Awaroa Bay is beautiful! Postcard No 4 of the 7
ah and now i wonder how her book is going
@valmnz (13160)
• New Zealand
@Jessicalynnt The writing is almost over - thanks for asking :-) but then there's all the work ahead to prepare for publishing!
@Inlemay (17031)
• South Africa
@valmnz we are thinking of you while you are at it!
@valmnz Nice to know you're 'lurking' from time to time! Keep going. The end must be nearly in sight. :)
That's a beautiful backgrounder for the postcard sent to you by Valmz .
@Inlemay (17031)
• South Africa
thank you - I love it as well
@Asylum (48110)
• Manchester, England
Definitely quite a stunning postcard, although you must be getting fed up of postcards by now.
@Asylum (48110)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay You will have to build an extension to your house in order to store them.
@Inlemay (17031)
• South Africa
@Asylum or just have a FANTASTIC BONFIRE When I die!
@Asylum (48110)
• Manchester, England
@Inlemay You could probably open a Postcard Museum by now.
That is a great bit of history you shared with us about this area! I remember buying Napier jewelry here in the USA and now I have to search and find out if that jewelry is somehow connected to town or founder. Off I go!
@Inlemay (17031)
• South Africa
that would be interesting to know.
@Inlemay Well, the Napier jewelry was created by a James Napier in the USA. Maybe he is a relative of the Napier mentioned above.
@Inlemay (17031)
• South Africa
@Corbin5 probably, maybe all the Napiers are related? that would be a reasonable explanation dont you think ?
What a great postcard. We learnt a bit about Napier at school but I've forgotten all about it now.
@Inlemay (17031)
• South Africa
its just across the sea's to you - dont the Australians visit NZ - so close
@Inlemay It's still a long way from West Australia, not so far for the Eastern States.
@Inlemay (17031)
• South Africa
@JudyEv but closer than me . .
@valmnz (13160)
• New Zealand
Glad you like it. Our son now lives in Napier. I love all the art deco buildings there. But I've not yet been to art deco week.
@Inlemay (17031)
• South Africa
That is your next journey - to visit the ART DECO WEEK and dress like Greta Garbo
@valmnz (13160)
• New Zealand
@Inlemay too expensive. Accommodation and everything else goes up to astronomical prices. You need to book at least a year ahead it's so popular!
Beautiful card, this view reminds me so much Monte-Carlo and now I feel nostalgic.
@Inlemay (17031)
• South Africa
its quite the grand affair looking scene isnt it - love it totally
@Inlemay It's beautiful, I would have loved to live in those years.
@SophieY (864)
• South Africa
wow you have been busy with the postcards