So my phone charges for data even if I use my own Wi Fi?

@EddieHands (37816)
Today my PC is quiet and not giving me problems. So I am happy to be here on mylot on it!I notice in my data usage it still takes up data even if I am not connected to the cell phone G4? Why the hell am I wasting data usage just because I am using a program? That really makes no sense, since I am on my home wi fi! That would be like saying I get data usage for using chrome on my latptop.. which is what this phone is telling me. No wonder google wants me to agree to even more apps, they probably all make money when you go over you data. Still makes no sense since I am hooked up to my home Wii Fi. I think I am going to call the company and have a word with them. I think we got many GB of data, but even clicking on facebook without sigining in, said it took data ? lol on my own home wi fi... same with using chrome on mylot. I am getting hungry now.
@rina110383 (24074)
Turn the data off. That would increase your phone bill. Mom will get mad.
@EddieHands (37816)
Yes good idea Kitty. I am turning it off! because I am using our home wi fi.. meow!
@rina110383 (24074)
@EddieHands (37816)
@rina110383 meow its off now. No more.datA.wasted. Plus. I dont like to.use my phone or.youtube much while out.meow.
@yukimori (9072)
Typically, it will revert to WiFi when you're on your home network. It shouldn't use data from your carrier's plan. Some of the phones measure data inaccurately--they'll show everything you do as 'data' usage rather than separating 'mobile' data and 'WiFi' data usage. The best thing to do is going to be to contact your carrier and verify your usage. It's also possible that it wasn't actually connected to the WiFi network for some reason. I occasionally have that happen with my tablet.
@EddieHands (37816)
It stopped.once I turned.datA. Usage off. But yes why would it track.everything I do? Will.they try to charge me just to open an.app? I hope.they do separate.the mobile.data.thing
Hope you can figure it out. When I am on WiFi, I turn the data off on my phone and make sure I am not using it.
@EddieHands (37816)
Oh I have turn the data off? I thought just going to my home wi fi..the bloody thing would know what to do.
@patgalca (14557)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@EddieHands It does know what to do when you are in your own home and you have entered your home wi fi on your phone. But the minute you are out of distance of that computer data kicks in. My younger daughter keeps her data off all the time and may turn it on for brief periods of time while away from wi fi.
@EddieHands (37816)
@patgalca yes I had to switch it off even with.ei.wi fi.it.was.counting data usage. Now I.got.it.off.and.can.have unlimited.from.my network. Meow. Yes..when.I.leave the.house.it.will.go.back.tk.cell.network.meow
@patgalca (14557)
• Orangeville, Ontario
A couple of years ago we had problems with getting charged for over-data usage. We called our provider who said it was my older daughter's phone. She was in Quebec at the time, at university, in a wi fi zone. So they did credit us the money back. There must have been some glitch somewhere. However, that dang girl is going over data all the time now. I know I sometimes forget to close the programs that are running in the background before I leave the house, but eventually I remember. My younger daughter knew she went over data this past month and gave my husband some money for it. She had been at her boyfriend's cottage where there was no wi fi.
@EddieHands (37816)
Yes I saw hiw to turn off datA so now I am on my own wi fi. I am.home a.lot.so.I.dont.think I wil.go.over. Wow she must play a lot.of.games or.stream and download.a.lot lol
@patgalca (14557)
• Orangeville, Ontario
@EddieHands She does watch a lot of YouTube.
@amandajay (18071)
• North Shore, New Zealand
On the Data...only when you need it.