Pretending I am an electrician...

The house I have been helping rehab is coming along nicely, flooring has been installed in the living room, kitchen, and hall, and carpeting in the bedrooms. Did the ceiling in the kitchen where part of it had collapsed from a leak, and I think we're done painting for the most part. Today, I will be re-installing light fixtures and putting light kits on a few ceiling fans...and then I get to go under the house. Boss wants the 220 volt dryer outlet moved about 15 feet, and that entails going under in the crawl space (aptly named, you barely have room to crawl), adding some electric line to the existing line, drilling a hole up through the floor for the wire and putting the new outlet in. I hate going in crawl spaces. I've had to go under my house a few times working on things, and it's a dark, sometimes damp, spider-infested hell. Some people do it daily as part of their jobs...me? I DON'T WANNA GO THERE!!! But I can understand Boss...I know how to do it, and having me do it is cheaper than having a licensed electrician come in and do it. A lot cheaper. But it looks like after today or tomorrow, we'll have done all we can do getting it ready to rent out. A section of the living room ceiling still needs replaced, and a new picture window installed in the living room (there are 9 panes of glass and a wood frame that s in horrible shape, Boss is going to have it removed and a new frame and one large pane of glass put in it). And then I am done. NOT! Boss is also closing the deal on another house today. But at least this one won't need as much done to it.
We've never lived in a house where there is a crawl space, I like a basement so that the main floor is nice and warm. But our neighbour's house out here has a crawl space, and when we moved in there was a widow who lived beside us, and her kids were not very attentive. And although my hubs hates going into crawl spaces, for many of the same reasons that you mentioned, along with rodents (yes she had those too) he had the "pleasure" of going under that house on more then 1 occasion. I hope that you can post a picture later on of the home that you put back together and basically rebuilt. You should bring the Scar along with you, he could go under the house ahead of you and scope out any dangers.
I'm taking the camera today to shoot some photos of what we have done...I wish I had some 'before' photos to go with them
@JolietJake I think I recall a discussion with a picture taken in the kitchen, was the ceiling coming down in there?
@Juliaacv Yeah, I forgot I had that one.
Well, it is keeping you employed - and fit. But I hope you know what you're doing with the electricity. I'm sure you do but it isn't good if you don't. :)
I've done electric work for years, but I hate messing with 220...BIG zap if you aren't paying attention
@JolietJake Vince does little stuff too but is always super careful. I help by being super anxious and distracting him with stupid questions about safety till I get banished.
@JudyEv I get nervous when there are other people around, I am always afraid some idiot will flip the breaker back on not realizing why it is off...the dryer outlet has its own breaker and I'll probably put tape over it while I am under the house just in case
@Inlemay (16559)
• South Africa
My son would say - Watch out for the Blue wire!!
220 actually has two live 110 wires and one ground/neutral...twice as much fun!
@Inlemay (16559)
• South Africa
@JolietJake be safe anyway
@Inlemay I had to look up how to run a 220 line several years ago, I had a big electric heater I was hooking up and didn't have a 220 service outlet so I had to run the wiring from the fusebox myself...
Ask for more money to crawl down there. I do not like to go in narrow spaces infested by spiders. Send Scar inside first to fight with all the creepy creatures that hide down there. Good luck.
I think light is going to be the big problem...probably end up making a half-dozen trips under there to get things done right
@JolietJake Good luck, this is going to be a hard job.
@crossbones27 (19597)
• Redlands, California
Not a sound man anymore. That seems to be the story of our lives. What was that saying about the Jack Of All Trades. Kind of need to be these days. I am glad you guys sound like you are doing decent though.
I have picked up a few more sound jobs in the past couple of days, supplying tunes at a birthday thing at a local club later this month, then sound for bands at a two day festival at a local vineyard in October.
• Redlands, California
@JolietJake Nice, garage sound man.Not sure if I have heard that before. Tell bands that is cool to come from the garage. They all think they have to go on the voice. lol.
You must be very good at what you do. That is a lot of work. I couldn't do the crawl space. It would freak me out being down there in the dark with all those spiders and not much room to move around.
I hate crawl spaces, but Boss would probably electrocute himself, and then I wouldn't have anyone to sign my paychecks.
@JolietJake lol that is one way to look at it! :)
@sishy7 (27647)
I don't like the lot before cheaper... He better pays you good for all that trouble...
I wouldn't mind a raise...
@sishy7 (27647)
@JolietJake Yes, you deserve one after all that you've done that saved him plenty...
@sishy7 It's been several years since my last one and my 'duties' so to speak have expanded considerably...I'm going to wait until the first of the year for him to offer one on his own, and if not, I'll tell him I deserve one
@JESSY3236 (6538)
You should have had Scar go down there first to make sure no spiders are down there. lol I hate crawl spaces too.
ugg spiders, I'd be freaking out under there myself
Crawl spaces do seem scary. I read a book about a vagrant who lived in one. So you will be done in another couple of days? Great!