Will you tell this lie?

@ivansin (579)
Hong Kong
I am a teacher. I do not want to tell lie. But...... If your nephew, 3 years old, asks you "My doll love me? Will my doll be unhappy if I do not play with him?" they what will you say? Will you tell lie to say "Your doll loves you. Your doll will be unhappy if you do not play will him."? Or you will tell your 3-year-old nephew the truth scientifically?
• Denmark
What has this question to do with your being a teacher? It has to do with common sense. Of course, you tell the child that the doll loves him. It's absurd to believe that a 3-year-old child can understand scientific explanations.
@ivansin (579)
I know children can understand the dolls cannot walk, cannot talk and no life. But I also know if I say that, they will be disappointed.
@ivansin (579)
Maybe, I think too much. Children should have their childhood. Thank you very much. I think I should do it with common sense and don't think too much. Thanks.
• Denmark
@ivansin You definitely should stop interfering with children's games. Why would you want to point out to a child that a doll can't talk? I've never read or heard a more absurd idea.
This os not a case of truth or lies. And even scientists know that eyes (and heart or the hypothalamus if you wish) make absolute scientific truth impossible. The doll will be happy to play with your nephew. If dolls did not have emotions (looked from the eyes of a 3 year old) then why would you buy toys? Yet toys are an important part of learning.
@ivansin (579)
Thank you very much. I think I lost somethings after growing up. You reminded me something. Thanks!
@ivansin I have been lucky. I have never ceased to be a child of sorts and I´m now 71. Maybe that´s why I became a writer in my native language.
@ivansin (579)
@marguicha Keep it up! The world needs this kind of writer. Children need you.
I have to agree with M.-L. The child is only three years old let him enjoy his childhood. He will figure it out soon enough. Tell him that his doll loves me. You don't have to tell him that the doll will be unhappy if he does not play with it. You could explain that the doll doesn't expect him to play with it all the time that it will still love him if he doesn't.
@ivansin (579)
You have help my nephew. Thank you very much!
@ivansin you are welcome.
Yes you should tell the child their doll loves them. When they get older they will lose their imagination soon enough-you don't want to take that away any sooner!
@ivansin (579)
You right! Yes, taking it away sooner is too cruel. I think I should not do it. Thank you very much!
@Cmackk (257)
• Cleveland, Ohio
Well he is 3 so I would lie lol, only because he still is a kid as he gets older u can start telling him the truth but children's childhood is what seems to be lost now a days , so I think it's ok
@ivansin (579)
Oh ya. I remember that my mum told this lie and I was very enjoy my childhood. I should say thank you to you for my nephew. Thank you very much!
@Platespinner (19306)
I would respond by asking the child what HE thinks.
@ivansin (579)
Yes, they can feel something I can't feel. I think I should see the world with child eyes when I play with and communicate with my nephew. Thank you very much.
@ivansin Sometimes knowing how to respond to a child can be tricky. We don't want to hurt them with the harsher side of life, but at the same time I have always been committed to being honest with my children. We played "pretend" with dolls when my children were younger, but they always knew it was pretend.
@ivansin (579)
@Platespinner The process should be very funny and sweet.
@Theresaaiza (10408)
nawwww, don't ruin their childhood. Soon they'll grow up and are finally able to tell reality from fantasy. There is a stage in every child's life where he has imaginary friends and this is normal. Instead of saying yes or no, explore the child's feelings instead. So reflect the question back to them. "Do you think your little doll will feel sad if you don't play with them?" Or "How would you feel if you don't play with them?" This way, you focus on their emotions. Children project their feelings on dolls. Many psychologists use dolls as a tool to explore what's going on in children's heads. So it's not really the doll but what they feel. And this is what you should be addressing. I am no psychologist but at least that is what I would say in this situation
@ivansin (579)
I think I should not do everthings and say everythings logically.Also,I should not ignore feeling and emotions. Thank you! And thank you everybody reminding me the important thing.
@Theresaaiza (10408)
@ivansin Children cannot comprehend logic straight away. Good if they do. But then he must be a wonder child if so.
@zarlamain (24146)
Just let him enjoy playing with the doll.