Lesson 3. Anti-virus on Android Devices

Anit-virus image.
By DE
@DaddyEvil (15037)
What can I tell you? You don't need an anti-virus on an Android phone. Yes, there are many companies out there who are SCREAMING that the Android programming is unprotected! Those companies all have one thing in common. They are not needed on an Android device, but sure wish they were needed and are hoping to trick you into believing they are needed! As it stands, unless you change some parameters on your Android device, there is very little that can touch your Android programming. That is all there is to it! Google makes sure of that! Why would Google CARE if your Android device contracts a virus? Because Google owns the Android programming, just like they own the Google Play Store! Now, you can force your Android device to accept a virus, by either: 1. Inviting the virus onto your Android device. (You may have seen a pop-up on your phone's screen that says: Click here to stop a virus from infecting your (device)! And gives you a convenient button to click. Quick! Click that button!) And by doing so, you just authorized a virus to take over your phone/device! Congratulations! 2. By authorizing any app that you did not receive through the Google Play Store. (Most legitimate apps can be found on the Play Store. Download them from the Play Store, if you want them.) That is the best way to keep your Android system virus free! You are welcome to read some of the most recent research about anti-virus apps extant. Check this out, here: http://www.extremetech.com/computing/104827-android-antivirus-apps-are-useless-heres-what-to-do-instead
I only get my apps through the play store
@vandana7 (49751)
So what'sapp would it be available in playstore? So far, I have not downloaded any apps ...not even connected to Internet...learning.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
@vandana7 IDK. Let me look. Yes, WhatsApp is available, as is WhatsApp Messenger! OMG! vanny, I just looked through what is offered by the WhatsApp! We could use it to talk to each other person to person in realtime! My internet connection is unlimited! Is your internet connection also unlimited? WhatsApp does use your internet connection to make those calls, even if you are the one receiving the calls, and not making them. Both sides of the call add to your internet usage. NO money added unless you go over your internet limit. So no charges for me, how about you? I am all giddy with excitement!
@vandana7 (49751)
@DaddyEvil ... Not sure....cause only Indian sim card works in this... But will try ONLY IF YOU PROMISE ME YOU WILL NOT TEASE ME ABOUT ACCENT... I just drafted a 4 dimensional mail to Pony...seeking his help in correcting my accent...smh...did not send....thought I will send it with recording. smh...no power...smh
@vandana7 (49751)
Scary world...
@DaddyEvil (15037)
Well, it can be scary, vanny! It just got a little scarier for me when I discovered the information I told you about in the other comment! LOL!
@vandana7 (49751)
@DaddyEvil ...Yeah...I get to call you in your midnight and talk about Idli sambhar...wow...I do have some chance to make you miserable.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
@vandana7 No, once you begin speaking about rice dishes, I will hang up on you.
@Daljinder (14345)
iPhone user! Muwahahahahhaaaaaaaaaa.......... lol
@DaddyEvil (15037)
The same picture can also be used to describe Android users, Princess! But without the evil laugh! LOL!
@Daljinder (14345)
@DaddyEvil What (gasp) Giving up your Evil status already?
@DaddyEvil (15037)
@Daljinder I believe my name says everything that needs to be said there, Princess! LOL!
i keep this new-fangled phone'n a very tight leash. 't aint allowed to get 'nline 'xcept here'n the property 's far 's that might reach. i reckon that means i've no need fer avg/avira 'n the danged thingy then, eh? wait...i dunno what the heck an android phone 's?? sigh....i miss the good ol' days 'f a rotary dial 'n if'n ya didn't answer, folks jest called back later.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
(gentle smile.) I know and understand your frustration with your new phone, Crazy. Maybe I can help make this a bit easier for you? Maybe not, but I am willing to try, at least. Does your phone have the same type of screen that your new pc has? If it looks very similar to your pc screen, then it has a Windows program installed on it. That is called a Windows phone. (I dislike those very much!) Is your new phone an iPhone? (I know it isn't. I don't like iPhones much, either.) That only leaves Android programming for your phone to have, hon. Honestly, no you don't have it on a very tight leash. You believe you do, but you aren't understanding what that means when talking about your phone. Your phone is capable of going online any time it wants. If it can find a tower, then it could be online. If it can't find a tower, then if the Wi-Fi is turned on and you have Wi-Fi at home, it could go online if it wants. If there are no towers around you, then your phone is useless. It can't make or receive phone calls. (I know your phone can make and receive calls, so it is capable of going online, if it wants.) Now, since you phone can go online, that means it can reach anywhere in the world, not just your home or local area. Your phone is just like your pc. You can talk with people all over the world on your pc, right? So can your phone. You still don't need AVG or Avira on your phone. It doesn't need them, even though it can roam across the entire planet, should you want it to. Does this help at all, or have I confused you further than you were?
@DaddyEvil clear 's mud. aint'cha the fella who told me to set't to where't could only go 'nline whilst here't the house?? shut off all other options?? i dunno what the heck't 's outside 'f a motorola 3rd generation...whate'er the heck that's 'pposed to mean. takes great panoramic pics, 's long 's the sun aint shinin' brightly 'n ya care to see what'cher snappin'. nah, i aint thrilled with 't, but the hubs insists i keep the danged thingy :(
@DaddyEvil (15037)
@crazyhorseladycx Yes, Crazy, I am... I have a feeling you didn't understand what I was telling you then, either. It really doesn't matter. That is the point of this tutorial. You don't need to worry about catching a virus on your new phone. That is all I am really trying to tell you.
When I was using an android phone, I only got my apps from the play store.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
You are so wonderful! Did I tell you I really like your new avatar? You are beautiful!
@DaddyEvil Well, thank you. I wasn't aware I was beautiful till you told me so. What an eye opener!
@DaddyEvil (15037)
@toniganzon That is exactly what I was afraid of, Toni! SMH! Too many beautiful people don't realize exactly how beautiful they are until they meet me and I tell them I find them beautiful! After all, I am the perfect example of a beautiful male! When anyone else (male or female) are a match for my good looks, I KNOW I am in the presence of another beautiful person! Congratulation on being included in that very lucky and rare group, hon!
• Midland, Michigan
Well that's certainly good to know. I thought there was a possibility that I didn't need to worry about my android tablet, but I didn't know for sure. I think what you said probably holds true for computers too, that when you get a popup claiming you need help that's something trying to get in. It's best to get your security for computers directly from specific sites that you know or purchase the program in a store like Best Buy or even department stores that carry them.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
That is exactly correct, Marsha! Even that pop-up telling you it is going to lock your computer down is simply trying to access your computer! It does lock it down, but forcing a reboot into Safe Mode and then running Spybot Search and Destroy on your pc will get rid of it. I keep Spybot S&D on a flash drive for emergency use. Actually, as long as you know the providence of the anti-virus software site, you are usually good that way, too. I download directly from Avast.com and Avira.com for my anti-virus programs.
• Midland, Michigan
@DaddyEvil Is spybot a free program and if so, who makes it, I may want to have that on a flash for myself too. I keep getting a popup when mylotting that appears to be from firefox about a patch, but I already updated my firefox browser recently and the url isn't from mozilla, so I think and am pretty sure that's another hoax type of thing. My computer guy recommends Hitman pro, but I need to renew that before it can do a thorough search of my system.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
@MarshaMusselman If I tell you to treat the tablet exactly the same way you treat your smart phone, will that explain it? If not, I will give you directions you can follow. I am familiar with the Ellipsis. We sold those at the Walmart where I work. I gave several demonstrations to people who bought them.
@trivia79 (8001)
• El Segundo, California
i downloaded several apps outside the playstore. i want an apk file of them so i download in other website. is it safe? the site i used are somewhat popular so i think....hmmm
@trivia79 (8001)
• El Segundo, California
@DaddyEvil oh well, i think smartphones can never really be have a virus in it so i can say those apps are safe whether they came from playstore or not
@DaddyEvil (15037)
@trivia79 Uhm... yeah, there are some viruses that are made for Android devices, Adam. If you invite them onto your device, they can cause problems.
@trivia79 (8001)
• El Segundo, California
@DaddyEvil I will never give them a chance to penetrate my device, i have lot of videos there! ahaha, i mean precious files lol
Interesting as a norton person tried talking me into paying for a much higher priced coverage to protect my computer from getting viruses from my cell phone. I've been using an android cell phone for over 5 years and never got a virus so I said I will take my chances and went with the lower priced coverage. I use my ipod a lot those with the browser what do you say about catching viruses on that device?
@DaddyEvil (15037)
LOL! Your pc can't catch a virus from your cell phone, or at least not yet, Shaggin! Anything Apple is also well covered! There ARE a few things that can get onto either an Apple or Android product, but they are few and very far between! You realize I would never suggest using either Norton or McAfee, right? Neither one of those are the best you can buy, let alone the best you can get for free! Why pay for an anti-virus program for your pc when you can get a fantastic one for free?
@DaddyEvil I worry nothing will work as well to prevent viruses as Norton. What program do you suggest?
@DaddyEvil Wow that is awesome! Thank you for that info! I have two years of Norton paid. I hope Avast is still free and around then.
@simone10 (22445)
• Louisville, Kentucky
This is great information as I have often wondered if an anti-virus program was really needed.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
I am glad you like it, Sharon! If you didn't know, I am a cell phone and cell phone contract salesman. I sell contracts and phones for the major companies in my area of Missouri. I have done this for over eight years. I also see prepaid cell phones and their air time, in the same store. I used to own my own business selling, refurbishing and writing code for computers. I still sell computers as part of my living, too. I have to know what I am doing to give my customers the best deals and advice I can! I wouldn't have a job long if I didn't know what I was doing! LOL!
@simone10 (22445)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@DaddyEvil I didn't know all that about you. Your job sounds really interesting, especially with computers. My Uncle was kind of a computer guru to me and I learned so much from him. It was really fun. He passed away about 6 years ago and now I am on my own sometimes.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
@simone10 I am sorry to learn of your uncle passing, Sharon. None of us have to be on our own unless we want to be on our own. You always have myLot friends to fall back on when you need help. If I am capable, you only have to ask and help is there for you!
@marsha32 (4976)
Unfortunately when I use my phone to surf the net almost always that stupid message comes up saying I have a virus...the other day it started a download without my permission! I do have AVG free on my phone...would rather be safe than sorry...but I wish it would stop the other stupid thing.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
@marsha32 If that is the latest "free" app from the Play Store that you downloaded and you have deleted it but are still getting spammed, then it was carrying a rider app. It dropped off the rider or the rider disengaged itself from the app you downloaded just in case you deleted the "free" app, which you did do. That way, the rider can continue to send you crap and you don't know for sure what to delete. If you have the AVG app, you should run it. Even though I dislike AVG, it should still be good enough to find and delete your problem. If AVG doesn't find anything, then download Avast for mobile and run it. It WILL find the spammer if it is still on your device.
@ChesneyM (4995)
Glad to read this , even though I haven't encountered this situation yet.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
LOL! I know, Chesney! One of these days you will need this information, though. I am glad you are interested in knowing it! That will make it easier for me to explain when you do upgrade to a good smart phone!
@ChesneyM (4995)
@DaddyEvil I tend to turn off all internet connection in any smart phones I ever owned (I had an Iphone 3 once, now an Iphone 5, and a Huawei I think...). But that info you provided is very useful.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
@ChesneyM At the very least the information will keep you from worrying about getting an infection on any of your smart phones, Chesney! I am glad I can be of some service to you, hon!
@akalinus (10990)
Good information that I did not know. Thanks, DE.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
You are very welcome, Jo Ann! If there is something you need to know about but I am slow at posting about it, you could always pm me and I will answer you right away, you know.
@akalinus (10990)
Thanks for the advice. I think you are right, and sometimes anti virus can slow down the speed of an android phone specially if they don't really match.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
Yes, considering the Android Devices already have an anti-virus built into them, it makes sense that adding another one would simply slow your Android phone down...
• Pleasant Hill, California
I just take a lot of Vitamin C.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
OMG! Thank you, pony! I really needed a good laugh! (Things have gotten a bit tense for me today, so the laugh did me a LOT of good!) Uhm... be careful how much Vitamin C you take, though...
Search All Mayo Clinic TopicsQuality CareFind out why Mayo Clinic is the right place for your health care. Make an appointment.Meet the StaffFind a directory of doctors and departments at all Mayo Clinic campuses. Visit now.Research and Clinical TrialsSee
New technology is amazing.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
LOL! I LOVE jumping into the middle of whatever technology has just been unveiled! (Sometimes I don't understand what I am seeing, but I love to try to figure it out!) Did you not have any questions for me about phones, cell phone contracts or computers, Marie? (If you've ask any questions about my specialties somewhere else on myLot, I missed seeing them.) You do/did know I sell cell phones, both contract and pre-paid, as well as personal computers, tablets, televisions and the accessories for all of them as my way to make my living, right?
@acelawrites (8203)
I am not so techie when it comes to gadgets. Am just happy when it works well.
@DaddyEvil (15037)
You are not alone, hon! There are many people who don't know the tech side of the gadgets they use every day. (I know how a tv works, but I can't work on one or fix it. Nor can I build one even if I have all the parts to build one in my reach.) Most of us are happy when the tech gadgets work correctly when we turn them on!