Yes, Bribery Is Still Taxable

I wrote about this a couple of years ago on a different site. It’s still in the IRS rules in Publication 17. I still can’t believe this is in the IRS handbook. If you receive a bribe, you have to include it in your income. You cannot deduct illegal bribes or kickbacks. I wonder how many people in a year do these two things. If someone claimed these items, my guess is they would be in deep doo doo trouble.
@simone10 (21646)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I never knew that existed, let alone is in the handbook. I think anyone who would do this would be in big trouble, like you stated.
or ill gotten gains, then you end up in the rock like that one gangster who's name escaped me, during probation or something, since they never got him for moving booze, they got him for not paying his taxes lol, al capone?
Yes, I believe that it was Al Capone/
@BettyB (4205)
• Summerville, South Carolina
So many rules and laws are never removed when they outdate. It's still legal to beat your wife in South Carolina as long as the stick is no thicker than a man's thumb. That's where the saying 'rule of thumb' came from.
@BettyB, Seriously, that stupid law is still on the books over there?
@OreoBrownie (3653)
• Commerce, Georgia
I didn't know that. I never even knew what a kickback was. I'm still not sure. I guess it is getting something in return for something.
@epiffanie (10447)
LOL ..big trouble ..
@RubyHawk (30532)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I think that's one rule that no one follows. Who would have thought it.
I'm sure they would.
• Preston, England
it is apparently still in the law here that we can shoot the Welsh with bows and arrows from the walls of Chester without fear of legal reprisal - no one is rushing to do it though - some laws just get forgotten on the statute books but it would be dumb to try to break them anyway
@vandana7 (68969)
It refers to International bribes. They are paid for arms deals.
Dang, I thought it was illegal to bribe ..... k, maybe only if it's a politician ..... I better tell the furmily they must stop bribing me besides, I bought that food for them so it's not really a bribe, right? For some reason the idea that they even mention bribes tickled my funnybone.
@PatZAnthony (13234)
• Charlotte, North Carolina
Wow! Who knew? Guess anyone who read that section of the handbook might-
@theBlock (2757)
@Susan2015 The IRS knows what it's doing. They know bribes are prevalent throughout the U.S., especially the govt., and they want to capitalize on it.
@responsiveme (18023)
WHAT ???