To earn, or not to earn...THAT is the question!

By JJ
Don't get me wrong...I like to get money. I have never told myLot "Naw, just keep the money, I don't want it". (Well, that isn't strictly true, I have closed accounts that have a few bucks in them and opened a new one to start over, so in essence I was saying "Keep the money") And back when I first came here in '06 it was because someone had suggested a place to make a few bucks. But over the years, the money has taken back seat to just being here. I mean, I have spent an equal number of years on the Great Book of Faces posting, and not getting paid for that. And I'd do the same here if I wasn't getting paid...as long as there were other people here, and it wasn't a 'spam paradise' like it was for a few years here. I really do think it wasn't the fact myLot stopped paying that drove everyone away last time (although yes, many left because of that) so much as most of the real myLotters just didn't want to dig through all the spam to find anything to talk about. (Don't be offended by the 'real' statement...while we all like money, many of the members that have been here for years (as well as many that have joined in the past year) would probably still spend as much time on here as at facebook just to keep up with friends even without money involved) Yes, I have been known to give tips on how to 'earn' more here...so some people may think I am being two-faced if I say the money is not the important part, but those tips are for people that ask how to do it. I'm here for the company...for the discussions...even the arguments...that are here. I'm here to be social. The money is only a nice by-product of being here. Priorities...you gotta have 'em...and if your priority is just to say your mind, and to see what other minds have to say, you too will stick around for years...and not worry too much about the pennies. Let the money worry about itself...it's old enough to make its own decisions.
Nice post. I guess I'd stay if the money cut out completely but I do like the few pennies I earn.
I think lots of us would be around just to keep up with each other
@vandana7 (55228)
@JolietJake .. Friends who make sense are difficult to find easily.
@Morleyhunt (14912)
Agreed, the few pennies are nice. I am not here consistently, so making money is a minor consideration. It is the interaction that I enjoy.
Long ago, I stopped thinking about the money while I am here, and it seemed to make the money flow quicker somehow
Very nicely said. I have only been here a month and I have met so many wonderful people. I signed in each day to see what everybody is up to and what they are talking about each other. I like to give my opinion and encourage others who are having a bad day. I hardly ever even go on Facebook anymore. I never think of the money on here. It is just an added bonus.
Yeah, I've been seeing you pop up everywhere
@vandana7 (55228)
I left myLot because they changed the script size. I would have left it again, if allknowing had not taught me how to increase the script size. After that, I did join blogjob...because somebody I trust asked me to. But not tinycent. I would be here, even if myLot does not pay now, because script size is right, format is right. But if friends disappear, I might have to leave too...:(
I run my page at 125% just to make it easier for my eyes...for a while, if you increased page size, you couldn't 'scroll' past the first 20 responses, and that was a bit irritating
You are right, the money is old enough, so why to worry? Now that I have made so many friends and I enjoy the site I would stay anyway. I like to receive some money, but this is just an added bonus.
As long as there are people to talk to, there would be no reason to leave, but some people wouldn't see it that way
@JolietJake I know, especially those who ask how to make a living writing here.
I would go back here indeed even when it is not paying anymore to see if others are still here . But since i haven't seen many of my friends here , i came back only when you talked about it in BUbblews .
It was hard making a post there about it without actually naming myLot...I was hoping many of you that had been here before would know where I was talking about when I made it.
@JolietJake That is true , that's why i even asked you what you were talking about . But you answered me that it's myLot , thus , i came back here .
I spend more time here than i do on Facebook? Why is that? I think it's because I see real people sharing real experiences in life here. I was away in another country and could hardly be here in mylot when I was informed by a friend that it has stopped paying. I tried to stay but then I could no longer see my friends that I enjoyed talking to anymore so I also quit. I miss the good old days, suddenly.
I was here pretty much the whole time then, but it was indeed hard to find anyone...I saw Owl and Dawnald occasionally, but hardly anyone else
@jennyjoy (2044)
• Bangalore, India
It's good to be able to talk and get paid for it too.
@jennyjoy (2044)
• Bangalore, India
@JoliettJake thanks for the tip .could you tell me some more about how my lot works?
@jennyjoy (2044)
• Bangalore, India
@JolietJake That's even better.What an amazing site.Why didn't I stumble across it earlier?
@BettyB (4304)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I don't spend as much time here as I would like, but I usually manage an hour or two a day. Figuring an hour a day, I average $0.17 an hour. Yep! That's what keeps me coming back.
Wow, you should be able to afford to buy your own island in the tropics soon, eh? (I wish they had a better 'wink' emoticon, the one they have I dislike using)
I come back when I have time, but unfortunately I am sharing laptop now with mom. So, I may have to leave again and get interrupted.
if i had a choice between a mylot that paid and one that did not, but they had no other real differences Id be here, I like here better than facebook. so if it was facebook or here and here didnt pay Id still be here lol
• Grand Junction, Colorado
I left the old mylot not because they stopped paying, but for 2 reasons 1) almost everyone left and 2) to much junk to sift through. I checked back a few times but it had lost it's appeal. I just happened to get an email from someone at mylot and came back and checked it out, found out that many people were returning from the old days. Have been stopping in whenever I find time. The money is slow and it's of so little consequence to me, that if the majority stayed I wouldn't leave, even if they stopped paying. I like the interaction. I love to just read some people's post for the laughs that I get out of them. As I've said since I joined many, many years ago, I read far more than I respond too.
Money, money, money. It does tend to get people interested. For me, I wouldn't be here as much if I wasn't making money. I have several other sites I work on but the ones where I can make the most $$ are the ones I spend the most time on.
@ms1864 (6942)
• Bangalore, India
good advice.