Endurance Class

Yep - I'm taking a class. Yesterday while I was out shopping, I got a call from my daughter's middle school. They wanted to know if I wanted to come to a parents' program held at the school the next morning about college preparations and blah blah blah. For the most part I literally only heard blah blah blah, but I said put me down as a "maybe". I actually wasn't intending to go - none of my parent friends were interested either as our kids are only in 6th grade. Then I decided maybe I should - you never know what you could get out of it - plus it was free. I at least had to give it a chance. I went. A bunch of handouts were passed out and class began. Oh this instructor was just AWFUL ! So much time was being wasted, her idea of funny was not funny, and she treated us like little school kids. She had us take turns reading out loud the various parts of the handouts instead of explaining the information about them. Can you say BORING ?! And where were the coffee and donuts ! So what does this have to do with "Endurance Class" as my title suggests? I have to ENDURE this nonsense once a week, for 2 hours, for the next 9 weeks. And I am only doing this because upon my completion, my daughter will get some "points" that may mean something when she applies for college one day. Are you having to "endure" anything lately?
I couldn't deal with something like that.
I DON'T want to deal with it, but I have to endure it. I'm bringing my own coffee and donuts next time!!!
@much2say can't you just not show up for the rest of the course? BY the way, are you bringing coffee and donuts for the others?
@Marty1 I was thinking about not continuing . . . yes, that is an option. But another parent told me in the last class (the one I missed) they said our kids would be accumulating points towards college for the parent's participation and completion of the class. Maybe I should just sign in each week and then leave . Coffee and donuts for the others . . . I will gladly takes orders .
Oh my gosh! That sounds like a pain! Do you have to bring your daughter along also or it's just a parent class for the next 9 weeks for 2 hours a day!
No kids. So I drop off my daughter, then drop of my son . . . and then I go back to my daughter's school in time to go to that class at 8:30am. Yah, it's going to be a drag for the next few weeks!
@much2say Oh my ! That is a lot of work.
What points for college? That sounds ridiculous. She will get into college with excellent grades, extra curricular activities, a sport, great SAT scores, and her own merit. That's bull! You can find out what you need to know on your own. Both my husband and I were college professors.
Oh, then I better look into this. I know there's some Presidential Fitness thing too that supposedly gives points towards college too . . . but I don't know effective they are since they are still in 6th (in my time nothing really counted til after 9th or even 10th grade). Hmmm, maybe these are just throw ons for your application - not for points - but just to make it look like you did something interesting - hmmmm. Thanks for the heads up - cuz I sure don't want to waste my time with this!!
@much2say My kids received awards from various Presidents and statesmen. I'm not sure if they tacked it on to their résumés or not. Colleges and universities only care about the high school years. I never heard of points. Here is a wise piece of info. Most bright college bound kids do everything I mentioned earlier such as top grades, excellorated classes, editor of the school newspaper, etc. colleges look for that, of course, but the thing that will get them into a top school or Ivy, is to do one thing that sticks out like a sore thumb. For example, one girl I knew did all that, but also wrote poetry and stories, was published, and had her work performed on stage. Her grades weren't top notch, but that extra sticking out like a sore thumb got her into Harvard. Just saying. The competition is stiff out there.
@DianneN That's what I thought . . . that's the way it was in my time too. I thought we would be getting some new piece of info through this class, but apparently it hasn't really changed - except that they are trying to fill the parents in much earlier (but this class is not what I call "informing"). In otherwords, do you very best and be at the top of your game with everything as much as you can . . . and then some. Doing more than the norm - whatever that may be (sticking out like a sore thumb as you said) would only help.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
Oh, it sounds like you are having so much fun–not. I hate it when someone treats us adults like little kids. Did you feel like saying, "I ain't going to read this crap out loud!"
I practiced my yawning skills . Actually I got reunited with one mom I haven't seen in a few years - she is the outspoken one with a pottty mouth. She sat next to me and was complaining "What is this sh**" but the instructor never heard her.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say I wonder if the instructor would have made her wash her mouth out with soap.
@RichardMeister She'd probably ignore it and change the subject. There was one group exercise we had to do . . . we had to talk about the changes we see in our middle school kids. One person wrote the group notes down (me) and another had to speak for the group. One parent mentioned how their kids were making smart a** remarks lately and I wrote down "being a smart a**" at the top . So when it was time for the speakers of the groups to tell the instructor and list the changes, our speaker said exactly that "Being a smart a**" . People laughed. The instructor was shocked this dad said that and she didn't write down what he said on the board! Then we secretly laughed that "Ooooooo, busted, he said the "a" word!"
Sorry the presenter was awful, but sixth grade is NOT TOO EARLY to prepare for college. In my book on college scholarships, there are three chapters listed under elementary school.
Oh, I completely agree with that . . . we are planting the seeds for college right now. I wouldn't mind a "real" college prep class for the parents (things are a bit different since our times). But this class was just stating the obvious - nothing new or informative. I could not believe she was asking us if we knew what a GPA was and how a higher GPA was important . . . it was quite obvious we all knew this stuff and we wished she would move it along . . .
@much2say The most important thing to do, make that the two, strike that three most important for a child in elementary school are: 1. Enroll them in enrichment programs for young kids at colleges during the summer. 2. Give them music lessons of some sort for several years. Make sure they practice daily. 3. Have dinner together (no TV or electronics) five times a week and chat.
@ElizabethWallace Fortunately we do live very close to a college . . . the kids already know their way around there . . . yep, next step is to have them see how classes work there! My daughter already plays flute - my son is interested in piano and we're currently looking for an instructor for him. We do eat dinner together and have the no tv rule.
@MarymargII (7744)
• Toronto, Ontario
Oh lordy- that sounds bad- but I know how you feel if it's helping your daughter out later- Make sure that part, at least is true! Would be horrible to suffer for nothing.
I guess I get a graduation and certificate out of it . If anything, I'm going to think of it as a refresher course - I GUESS. Maybe I'll myLot on my phone during that time !
• Toronto, Ontario
@much2say Now that's the spirit!
@MarymargII I survived. The entire course was boring as the first class . . . but eventually the instructor did bring out the coffee and some snacks (though sorry, they were kinda terrible ). In the end, I did graduate and the kids got to see me walk on stage for my "diploma" .
I don't know what college preparations are all about,however the class seems to be a torture.
It's to prepare our kids for college (yes, already!). This particular class is about understand the physical, mental, emotional changes of kids when they hit 10-11 years old and how to deal with the changes . . . and their studies - and what we as parents needs to prepare for in order to get our kids to college successfully. I wouldn't mind going to a class that actually has me coming out at a more knowledgeable person - but I think it must be the instructor's ways that make it so torturous!
@much2say Now schools are trying to involve parents more in their kids'education.If only they did it in a vivid and lively way.
@changjiangzhibin89 Oh yes, and this is what this class is supposedly about. We want to be very involved, but unfortunately, not with THIS class . I wouldn't mind if it were just straight information . . . I don't like these meaningless group activities and such.
@thesids (22455)
• Bhubaneswar, India
Jeez!!!! They are planning to pick up some of you for the Mars Mission... [no supply of food, boring lecture, forcing you to read out loud and explain...]
thesids! But hey, I did not sign up for the Mars Mission, but I think @CaptAlbertWhisker is up for it! If the class were any longer, there would have been NO survivors . Well all except the instructor who probably thinks she did a job well done .
• Calgary, Alberta
@much2say Did someone said Mars Mission?! I already gave up on that dream since they prioritized experienced scientist. My new jam is the seasteading project. There is a group of people who wants to make artificial Islands in a part of the Atlantic ocean that is not owned by a country and make a new country.
@CaptAlbertWhisker Wow, now that sounds doable! Very doable actually. It would certainly take less time to get there and the atmosphere is still of earth - that would be pretty cool. Hopefully they will not let in the likes of people who are unqualified to do their jobs (like the dumb instructor I had ).
're ya serious?? i fear i'd felt the need ('n acted 'pon 't) to jest get 'p 'n walk out. utterly ridiculous. i dunno how yer daughter could get 'points' fer such? the only thingy i've got to endure (which's daily, lucky me!) 'tis the hubs refusal 'f fixin' the front 'f this place...'tis nearly been a year 'n i'd love a much lower heatin' bill this winter 's well 's dry carpet when moisture falls :)
I think they have various programs everywhere at different schools - I don't know if schools get funding when more people participate - but they encourage folks to go to these things. I'm still looking into how these points work. I am told in tae kwon do there will be some kind of points too that will help on the college application (???). Oh that hubs! Winter is just around the corner, so he can still make it happen if he would. What will motivate him to get it done? I would think he would be thrilled with a much lower heating bill too . . .
@crazyhorseladycx Well, I don't know if this class will come in too handy . . . I know I can find all this stuff on the internet . Can you imagine how things would have been different if we had the internet way back when? Hey, so you got some rain!! We only had some cooler days - but now it's supposed to go up to 3 digits again. Seriously, you might as well move into the hothouse during winter, right? Do you have firewood already set out for the winter (I heard it had to be cut and be sitting out there to get all the moisture out of it to burn?)? Why am I thinking of the grasshopper and the ants story?
You are a good mom to do the for your daughter! Have fun!!
I hope so, but she better appreciate this one!
@much2say I am sure when the time comes she will.
Too early for these kids, I mean grade 6? they need a better and more happy oriented speaker to keep you folks bored. I wonder if they were moments you accidentally slept there.
This is why I sit in back of the class - I don't want to get caught napping (naw, I don't fall asleep ... especially now that she will bring coffee and donuts!!). Well, they encourage to "plant the seed" of college in kids as early as possible . . . apparently the graduation numbers in this country are pretty low .
@bunnybon7 (31069)
• Holiday, Florida
yes family hanging on not paying their way. lol
I hear ya! I know you've been enduring this for a very long time ...I just hope somethimg will change for the better for your situation and soon!!
Not sure what your looking for.As you can see I cannot endure this.9Idding(
I'd rather take a painting class!