Recycling Frustrations

Photo is mine
@BettyB (4270)
Summerville, South Carolina
I am a firm believer in reusing and recycling. For years we had curbside recycling. It was part of the community tax structure. When we moved, we could still get curbside recycling but we had to pay the trash company. As it was only eight dollars a quarter, no problem. As of September they upped it to fifteen dollars a month which is a drastic hike. Bottom line, they don’t want to bother with it. As I am not willing to pay fifteen dollars a month, I cancelled the service. I used to haul stuff to the recycle centers before we had curbside, I could do it again. Unfortunately all of the recycle drop offs that I used before have switched to accepting office paper, magazines, cardboard, and newspapers. None of them accept plastic. I can take it to the dump. They have recycle bins there, but its fifteen miles away. I’ll figure out something eventually, but for now it’s going in my son’s recycle bin. He still has curbside recycling.
That's ridiculous they want people to recycle, but then charge them for it, most people can't afford to let go of any more money. I think it should be free, a lot more people would recycle.
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
The companies charge us and then they get paid for the recycled material. Seems like a rip off to me.
there's no curb-side recyclin' e'en fer folks'n town here. i can understand yer frustration. used to've a dumpster out here, fer 'bout $40 e'ery 3 months. they went 'p to that 'mount monthly within 'bout a years time. i refuse to pay that much when we don't generate that much trash-trash anyhow. 'nstead, we hold 'nto 't 'til there's 'nough to justify a land fill run - droppin' the plastics/cans/steel 'n whate'er else can be recycled 'long the way. sadly, nobody'll recycle glass. that's gettin' tough coz i've now 3 cabinets full!
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I have a place to drop cans and cardboard. It's the plastic that's giving me fits. The dump is a ways away but I'll do that if I have to.
@BettyB do they've a place fer glass, hon? i figure they stopped such here coz folks were breakin' the glasses 'n leavin' a huge mess where the places t'were set out. the wally world here's got bins fer cans/cardboard/plastic. 'f course, we donate the cans to a church who's a huge trailer'n their parkin' lot - goes to the young'uns'n the community, not jest those that go to that church. the dump here ('long with the place that takes steel...) 'tis clear'n the other side 'f town, so i know what'cha mean :(
Recycling is mandatory here. At the apartment they have two dumpsters - one recycling, one trash. There is also a drop off location a block from where I live which came in handy throughout the move.
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Unfortunately most people will not recycle unless its mandatory. We'll the only ones on our block that recycle.
@BettyB That's a shame.
We have 6 different recycling bins, for plastic, paper, glass, batteries, tin cans and domestic garbage. There are a group of them for every 40 to 50 houses, so it's easy for everyone to recycle.
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Its like that where my sister lives. When they make it hard, people don't bother.
@BettyB You are right, even when it's easy some complain that you have to keep things separated and this is not easy.
@MattMeng (3281)
• Hangzhou, China
I am a firm believer in reusing and recycling too.
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We need to stop buying bottled water. That's what most of our plastic is.
@MattMeng (3281)
• Hangzhou, China
@BettyB The plastic bottles always recycled in China.
That is crazy, They should be trying to encourage people to recycle instead of raising the price so high that they know people won't pay for it. Shame on them.
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I think they're hoping most people will opt out so they don't have to bother with it.
@BettyB that is what it sounds like.
@Platespinner (19022)
We don't pay for curbside recycling, but opt to take it in to town ourselves (we also don't pay for trash collection since my husband is allowed to use the dumpster where he works). I find the recycling limitations very frustrating. We can recycle plastic, but only containers with screw lids (but the lids aren't recyclable) so a lot of plastic still ends up in the dump. They also don't take metal. So much goes to the landfill that should be recycled.
@BettyB Normally I wouldn't have a problem with paying to have the regular trash picked up, but it's rare that we have more than a bag a week and my husband doesn't mind taking to work with him so why pay for something that can be taken care of at no cost to us.
Same here.we recycle here.Many people do not or care to.
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Too many people don't care.
@BettyB yes,a lot there Betty
Recycling is a good program in theory because we as consumers really are clueless about how effective the practice is on or at a dump site. I was floored to see where all garbage ends up after following a recycling truck that had indeed had its workers separate trash into proper receptacles but once at the dump site, honestly all bags were thrown in one bin !
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I think a lot of that goes on, but at least some of it is getting recycled.
@BettyB yes a great some of it I gather depending on what city and how much effort is put in
It can be a problem can't it? We have a recycling bin which is emptied every fortnight although I usually only put it out once a month.
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
We end up with more in the recycle bin than in the regular trash. I'm putting my bin out just to see if they pick it up.
@sugartoes (35438)
• Greencastle, Indiana
I don't have a recycling place so we recycle what we can & sell what makes us money like alum cans & tin food cans scrap what will sell for scrap
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
I used to sell the aluminum but now I take it to a bin in the park. They're saving for some new playground equipment.
The bins we have here are huge. You could fit two people inside that thing. They collect the recycled material in those monsters twice a month. Not sure how much we are charged since my husband pays that bill. We have to pay extra for any yard waste pickup. If we have more than one garbage can of refuse, then we have to pay extra for any additional ones.
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Both my sons have bins like that. They're handy.
That's frustrating for you. We have to pay £40 a year to have our garden waste taken away, but paper and plastic is free.
@BettyB (4270)
• Summerville, South Carolina
Our garden waste is picked up the same time our regular trash is picked up. It's chopped up and composted.
• Midland, Michigan
That sounds like a plan if your son's bins have room. We went from bins like are in your picture to larger bins they can pick up with an arm of the truck. I usually have it filled by months end since now it's done monthly instead of bi-weekly. At least ours is still covered in our taxes. I think the only thing they discontinued accepting recently is plastic grocery bags, but we can take those back to some grocery stores to recycle that way instead. We do have a recycling center before the dump, so that's an option too. My sister brings hers when she visits since Detroit doesn't pick it up like we have here.