Loving Your Enemies

@Dena91 (4645)
The past several weeks I have been teaching from the Sermon on the Mount, where Jesus is teaching his disciples, the scribes and Pharisees (religious leaders of that day) and the crowds who have gathered. This part of scripture is to teach them and us how we are to live our lives daily. Most felt by doing their religious duties, as the scribes and Pharisees did, that they were in good standing with God. I believe many today feel that as long as they go to church, say a prayer, give a little money that they too are in good standing with God. He had to show them how feeble their ways of living were. The Sermon on the Mount is found in Matthew chapters 5-7. As I am studying for our Sunday school lesson this week I am finding it hard to actually put into practice what God would have me to do. It is from Matthew 5:38-48, about loving our enemies. Here are my focal verses for the lesson, Matthew 5:44-45, "44 But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." It goes against everything within me to love someone who hates me, yet Jesus demands that I do so. Once I surrendered my life to Him, I am no longer my own but a representative of Him to those around me. It is my duty as His representative to live as He has commanded even when it goes against my very nature. I will admit after being saved for 25 years, I have become slightly better at loving my enemy, however there is much room to grow in this area. I am to love without limits to everyone, including my enemies. Just as Jesus did. Are there areas in your life where you know you need to grow more as a Christian? Thankful for His word, His mercy and long suffering with me, with us. Have a blessed day
@sol_cee (17375)
• Saint Vincent And The Grenadines
It takes a lot of everything nice to love a person who hates you.
@teenspirit (1611)
• Israel
there is a nice saying "Never hate your haters respect them because they are the ones who think you are better then them" It explain a lot....
There is so many other verses that contradict this though like the one that says not to dine with the devil. I don't think I will ever be capable of loving evil, but I do love god.
Oh yes, I think most Christians always have teachings that need to be practiced again and again. A lifelong pursuit it is.
@1creekgirl (11947)
I think no matter how long we've been a Christian, it's hard to live up to the teachings of Christ completely. If we ever feel we're there, that's a dangerous place to be. Great post.