A Visit from a Raccoon

@RubyHawk (25326)
Atlanta, Georgia
I had a doctors appointment today. It was just a checkup. All is well. We stopped to visit with my son on the way home and he had a strange story to tell. The night before he woke up suddenly when something jumped on his chest. He opened his eyes and saw a raccoon staring him in the eye. He said he jumped up and screamed like a little girl. His scream scared the racoon off and it ran into the bathroom. When he got it out of there it ran down the hall into the kitchen. He called his brother to stand in the hall so it wouldn't run down the hall again and propped the door open and laid a trail of grapes directing it to the door. The story was so funny the way he told it, but I was glad it didn't happen to me. It would have scared me out of my wits. He said the intruder must have gotten in the attic and came on down for a visit.
Yes, that would be pretty scary. I know Rooger would have attacked it.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@TRBRocks420 he probably would have, dogs don't like wild animals.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@sallypup When we lived in the house, raccons climbed the window screens but we never found one in the house. We had to be careful never to leave the trash can outside. They would turn over a trash can and scatter trash everywhere looking for food.
@sallypup (27114)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@RubyHawk That is one beautiful memory. Just like books that I read when I was a kid. That night that I faced that raccoon and all those bloody chickens, that woke me right up.
When we lived in the old farmhouse, my sister and I slept in a 'sleep-out', an enclosed back verandah. One night something landed on me and sprung off again. It was probably a possum - which are different to your opossums.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I've never anything like that happen to me other than once when we lived out in the country, I set down and reached into a magazine rack that was hidden by the end of the couch and picked up a snake. I probably screamed worse than a little girl and ran out of the house. I wouldn't go back in the house until my husband came out with the snake hanging over a broom handle.
@RubyHawk That would pretty much freak me out too - just the shock of suddenly having a snake in my hand.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@JudyEv It certainly freaked me out. I kept my eyes open after that, but never saw one in the house again.
Oh my goodness I hope that nothing like this will ever happen to me.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
So do I, do you have raccoons in your country?
@RubyHawk No, we do not have raccoon here, we have badgers, foxes, ferrets, deer and boars in the wild.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@LadyDuck We have all of those, I'm not sure we have boars. We also have wolves, coyotes, panthers, rabbits, squirrels, beavers, snakes, and more I'm sure. Those are the ones I'm thinking of now.
That would have scared me so bad I would have needed to change the sheets. I'm glad he got it out okay.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Me too, I believe it was difficult to get it away from the hall and out the door. If it had gotten hidden in a bedroom he would have had a problem.
@RubyHawk I'm glad he got it out and didn't have to worry about it getting into a bedroom.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@just4him Now that would have been bad.
@MattMeng (3261)
• Hangzhou, China
That would be very dangerous then.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It could have been, but my son said the raccoon didn't make any move to harm him.
@MattMeng (3261)
• Hangzhou, China
@RubyHawk It is rather lucky.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@MattMeng Yes it was.
oh my! i bet that he did scream like a girl, poor fella! that'd be most disturbin' to waken by somethin' furry jumpin' on one's chest. i'm glad he'd some help to get the lil darlin' outdoors. hopefully he's looked'n the attic to see if'n there's more 'f 'em - 'n found the entry spot.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I'm pretty sure he did. I don't believe he wants to go through that experience again.
@RubyHawk i bet not! mercy, what a fright!
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@crazyhorseladycx I can imagine the scene, and it ain't pretty.
That must have been quite a scare for them both.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
My son's scream probably scared the raccoon out of it's wits.
@Macarrosel (7572)
OMG! I cannot imagine myself seeing an animal jump in my chest.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I can't either. I would have screamed my head off.
At least mine stay in the yard. I would kind of freak though if I woke up and my cat and a raccoon were both sitting on my chest staring at me...
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
So would I. Especially when in a sound sleep.
Thank goodness we don't have a raccoon here. How did the raccoon entered his room?
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
He had no idea. Probably a lose board in the wall or attic.
That would be the ticket to enter me to the mental ward.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I would say so.
That would probably startle me too...
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I think it would scare anyone to wake up with a raccoon sitting on their chest.
@CRK109 (14465)
Wow! I've never heard of that happening to anyone before! Thank goodness he wasn't hurt!
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I've heard of wild animals getting in the house but not jumping on the chest. That was one brave raccoon.
@CRK109 (14465)
@RubyHawk No kidding! Strange behavior for a wild animal. Unless it had somehow been domesticated by someone. But still...scary stuff!
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@CRK109 My daughter in law thinks it might be one that comes sometimes and eats with my granddaughters cats.
@Butchcass4 (6031)
O my what a way to be woke up. I would probably have had a heart attack! Our old buddy Star (our cat who is in heaven) used to do stuff like that. I could feel him walking up my legs, back and then I knew he was starring at me and I'd say "What"? He would eventually move on. But to have a wild animal on your chest starring you in the eye thats a whole different ball game, Wow. I think he handled it very well. Thanks for sharing
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I think he handled it well too, I would probably have fallen over in shock.
@RubyHawk I believe everyone in my neighborhood would have heard me screaming causing them to come to my house to see what was going on. LOL
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Butchcass4 They would have probably called 911 on me.
@mom210 (6761)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Ok how in the world did it get into the house? I do not like any uninvited creatures in my house
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It must have found a loose board to squeeze in through the attic.
@mom210 (6761)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@RubyHawk They are sneaky little guys, they can get into almost any places. We have one we have been battling to keep out of our chicken coop. He is presenting quite a challenge.
@Bluedoll (17069)
Well I guess little animals can be scary. I'm not fond of black cats with a white stripe down their back.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Those little pests are the worst of all. They used to sometimes visit with our dogs.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Bluedoll I don't believe animals care a thing about our lids, they're after a meal.
That would have frightened the life out of me too
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Oh, me too, I would probably have fainted.
@LoriAMoore (4790)
Oh my word, it was actually on his chest! Eeek!
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
It was, I would have thought I was having a nightmare.
• Eugene, Oregon
What a scare! He was lucky he was not bitten as they can carry rabies.
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I asked if if he was scratched anywhere and he said he wasn't. I reminded him about rabies too, but he said this raccoon was a normal raccoon. no craziness or anything. it was just exploring.
@EddieHands (37845)
Wow that must have been scary, and also not knowing how the racoon got in! Blessings
@RubyHawk (25326)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I hope he doesn't have a nest of raccoons in the attic, but my son said if they were he would have heard them. He thinks it was just the one.