The Cost of Being Cheap

@tallawah (8731)
Kingston, Jamaica
I used to know a guy, (calling him Lloyd for this discussion) who was so cheap it was funny. Here was a guy that to save a bus fare (35c) would walk to his second job. Then the sole of his cheap shoes, ($15.00) would drop off. Here was a guy who saved and struggled and opened his own business and then got some very cheap company to do his web page, would hate the results, refuse to pay, get sued and pay as much as he would if he went to a real company. Lloyd never learned. Never matured to the stage of appreciating that if you underpay your staff they will steal. To avoid salaries Lloyd would impose upon his 'friends' . Over and over again, until getting an email from him was instant 'delete without reading' . No matter how much money he had, he never had enough and was always cutting corners, always losing.
@miniam (9236)
• Bern, Switzerland
It`s ok to save, but it`s stupid to save until it hurts,untill the original savings are wasten in things that sgould not have cost so much in the first place.
@tallawah (8731)
• Kingston, Jamaica
If you hire a good workman, then you get a good job. If you hire the cheapest.. well whatever they give you
@miniam (9236)
• Bern, Switzerland
@tallawah Cheap can sometimes be good, a tradesman getting started will work on the cheap to win clients
@tallawah (8731)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@miniam When you are so cheap as to cut corners... you don't do well.
I am very frugal but always go for the best I can afford when I do decide to buy something.
@tallawah (8731)
• Kingston, Jamaica
When you buy a good suit, and you take care of it, ten years later you are wearing it. When you buy a cheap Chinese knock off.. it won't last six months... if that long.
@miniam (9236)
• Bern, Switzerland
@tallawah 6 months? saw a sweater in a chinese shop i really loved,it was euro 8, l knew it will not last long,after having it on for 30 minutes,the hands/arms had srunk maybe 5 CM.Threw it away same day
@tallawah (8731)
• Kingston, Jamaica
@miniam I bought a pair of jeans. I was just walking and the seam tore. Just walking.
Some people are like that and they have to learn tough lesson after tough lesson. I am in the middle-I don't over spend but I also don't cut corners either. I don't buy things I don't need though either.
@tallawah (8731)
• Kingston, Jamaica
There's a point beyond being frugal; it's when one focuses more on the counting of coins than their usage.