I have been taking for months a med that is only a pain killer. A RANT.

Chile
A couple of days ago, I had to buy again one of the meds the doctor had prescribed. The pills are awfully expensive, so I decided to read online what they were for. After careful reading, I learned that they were only painkillers and that they would not help me with a polineuritis I have since my chemo. I grew mad. And I grew madder after I talked with my son in law who is a medical doctor. I wanted to know if said pills would help me get better. Nope! he said. So, what´s the use of them? Well, he answered, if you have too much pain, they will help. JEEZZZ!!! I can tolerate perfectly well the lack of comfort (I would not call it a pain) I have. But the amount of money I have to pay for them is not something easy to dispose of. I talked farther with my SIL and he said that he would try to get me free samples. And not to take them if I had to pay for them. Why doesn´t a doctor tell a patient why is he giving him/her a drug, specially since it is not cheap? I have had conversations with doctors in the past about drugs. I had to explain to my dermatologist once that I´m retired and that I did not have money for an expensive sun blocker. It turned out that any sun blocker for sensitive or baby skin served the same way. I´d sue them, if I knew I could win!
@sofssu (14481)
I can understand your annoyance.. I would feel the same way too if the doctors don't tell me that I have an option to take a pain killer or not.. especially when its so expensive;. I usually ask my doctors why I am given a particular medication.
I was to blame. This doctor seemsed so nice that I did not ask.
@sofssu (14481)
@marguicha It happens at times.. All of us forget ..
@sofssu It should be part of what the doctor is supposed to say
@dodo19 (31996)
• Beaconsfield, Quebec
It's a good thing you did some research and spoke to your son-in-law. There's no point in getting it if the medication won't help you get better.
Sometimes I forget to do some research online but most of the time I do. I don´t have money to spare in things I don´t need.
@CinnamonGrl (5740)
• Paradise, California
i know how that goes, you really have to be your own advocate, and look at the prescription inserts, because most doctors really do not take the time to explain.We have had home nurses and nurse pracitioners at various times, and they are so much better.
I hope I remember this experience. It has cost me money and there are other meds that do help my problem.
• Paradise, California
@marguicha I know, I got smacked in the face with this meds issue when my folks started having their medica problems. My dad was being way over medicated, one doctor not noticing what meds he was already on, etc. Honest to god they can kill people not paying attention to this stuff. Scary
@CinnamonGrl It is a shame indeed! And in my case, I had to pay for all that unneeded stuff as my insurance doesn´t cover it.
In the USA, doctors get kickbacks, money and gifts, from pharmaceutical companies if the doctors prescribe the company's pills to patients. They are pushing pills on people who do not need them. When I have a prescription that has multiple medications on it, I tell the pharmacist, after I have researched the medications, "I want this and this, but not this one or that one."
It happens everywhere. Maybe not gifts as such or money, but they are invited to "congresses" made up by the pharmaceutical companies. And who would say no to a stay in Cancun?
@marguicha They give vacations here too. Ridiculous.
Some of these people have absolutely no consideration for their patients really - at least no thought to the expense they are putting them to.
And besides that, I start to think I might have a worse ailment if the med is not working
Such a shame!
Each small package was over $20. I can eat well for 2 or 3 whole days with that amount.