Tofu is my new play dough

@sallypup (27120)
Moses Lake, Washington
I'm discovering the joy of tofu. You think I'm being a joker? The food irritation is about gone. Time to play. Let's see. What do I do with this stuff besides fry it in olive oil? Tonight we made a sauce with a chunk of tofu. We had a barley brown rice pilaf with chunks of green peppers and onions. I put in fish sauce with that pilaf for saltiness. Onion and ginger and a little vinegar and a teeny bit of sugar in with the blended tofu. And garlic. Must have garlic to wake the mouth up. Anybody else discovering the joy of tofu?
@XinfulThotz (4187)
• Singapore, Singapore
Add cut tofu into tomato soup.. simple & nice..
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@XinfulThotz The canned American tomato soup that I grew up with was so sweet. Maybe I'll try to make my own.
• Singapore, Singapore
@sallypup you must be a great cook...
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@XinfulThotz No. I just like to play in the kitchen. I like to use fresh and basic ingredients if possible. I make pie crust too well! It is healthier for me to stop making cookies and start making dishes that feature tofu and other bean dishes.
@louievill (18668)
Tofu is a good component of spring roll filling if you want less meat. Small thinly sliced pieces of unfried tofu could also be added to your favorite vegetable soup.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@louievill Thanks. Great ideas.
@louievill (18668)
@sallypup welcome
@ms1864 (6986)
• Bangalore, India
I love tofu! ...and the way you are gonna make it sounds delicious!
• Singapore, Singapore
You may want to try throwing in a few pieces of fried tofu into curry. Taste great!
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DominicHzd Excellent idea! Thanks.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Thanks @ms1864 Good to hear from you. I like how tofu has a clean test without grease. No after taste in my mouth except for the spices that I plan to add.
I bought it and it was so wet and gross I could do nothing with it. I heard you fry it but that came out gross. I would love to learn uses for it. The protein is too good to pass on.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@sharon6345 First of all you take the block of tofu out of its liquid. Let it drain. Then carefully fry chunks. I usually cut the block into thinner pieces. If you like spice, ginger and garlic are good with tofu. Or a terayaki sauce. Next week I plan to use some when I make stroganoff. Canned condensed mushroom soup has a nasty consistency and very little nutrition and folks use it every day of the week.
• Singapore, Singapore
@sallypup Kudos! Terayaki sauce on tofu is Awesome. Tofu can be flexibly used to create all kinds of dishes.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DominicHzd @DominicHzd I think I am going to try to make my own terayaki sauce cause the commercial stuff is so sweet. I find that ginger is great spice plus its supposed to help the digestion.
No I am going to stick to meat for a number of years yet lol.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@TRBRocks420 That's how I felt too but I'm not great with doctors and I can't find a decent doctor so I'm working on a do it myself health project now.
@Rohvannyn (3118)
I still eat plenty of chicken and sometimes lamb, but I do like tofu.
• Singapore, Singapore
Cut the tofu into cubes and cook with the chicken soup, add seaweed when its about to be done.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@DominicHzd Good to hear from you. I believe seaweed has tons of minerals in it that helps a person to be strong and healthy.
had it in soup a few times
No - not a big fan of tofu. I know it can be doctored up to taste of just about anything. Glad you're enjoying your experiments.
@responsiveme (16247)
No, it is not easily available here.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@responsiveme No tofu in India?
@sallypup In India yes..not in the small town where I live
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@responsiveme I get it now. Thanks.
@Rohvannyn (3118)
Oh, and I forgot, tofu flavored with Chinese five spice. That was interesting.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Rohvannyn That's a spice that I've not tried.
@Rohvannyn (3118)
@sallypup It's kind of sweetish, because it has cinnamon and clove in it, along with five other spices. Not hot or anything.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Rohvannyn I need to look for that. I've had clove hard candy and couldn't abide the strong taste.
They say we eat with our eyes first, but after that it's taste and texture, none of which tofu has....you can have it all with my blessings.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@AbbyGreenhill Do you use condensed soups in your recipes?
@sallypup Nope. We don't eat much store bought soup - I make turkey or chicken noodle, or bean soup.
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@AbbyGreenhill Just call me curious. Raw turkey parts sure can be slimey and slippery. Same with chicken.
I love fried tofu with green onions. It's delicious. :)
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@infatuatedbby Great idea. I'll put green onions on next week's menu list. Thanks.
@sallypup Actually scallions but just as good.
Several people who read the post on Diep Tran and Good Girl Dinette remarked how tasty her tofu snack looked. And for those of you who’ve eaten it, you know that it’s true. I couldn’t agree with you more! I kept thinking about it yesterday so I made my own
@mom210 (6761)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I am, we recently started purchasing the tofu noodles and they are really good!
@sallypup (27120)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@mom210 Interesting. I should search around and see if I can them. Good to hear from you.
@Rohvannyn (3118)
I'm rather a fan of tofu, oddly enough. I like it as a sandwich - two slices of wheat bread, a thick slice of tofu, and brown mustard. Surprisingly good. I also like baked tofu, smoked tofu, tofu in miso soup (try some of that sometime, it's good) and yes, deep fried tofu.