Smelly Visitor

@clrumfelt (5428)
We have been keeping some cat food out on the front porch because the neighbor cat has been staying there, and my husband looked out there and there was a skunk on our porch eating it! I guess we will not leave it out there much any more.
I get skunks out front here fairly often, I have to look outside before I let Scar out on his lead (usually 2 - 3 AM) because he wants to go after them, and I don't think they'll be quite as friendly with him as the raccoons are. It would be bad enough if he got sprayed, but they are notorious for carrying rabies as well, from what I have heard.
@clrumfelt (5428)
Yeah, there is one that comes in my yard regularly and smells the place up right at bed time. It was probably the same one.
@sugartoes (42524)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@JolietJake can I ask you a question? I understand having your cat on a tie out to keep it safe & all but the question I have is why do you have such a BIG latch on his collar? can't you find one that's a little smaller? it just looks so heavy for him. I hope this don't get my head bit off for asking ha ha ha
@sugartoes It's aluminum and not very heavy really...the reason for it is this is what he does to smaller ones. The lead he is on is wire reinforced, and he's broken it a few times as well...that boy is strong!
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
I sure know what you mean there @clrumfelt . I had 2 outside cats that came up to eat. Since then, I have 18 raccoon's, 1 opossum and hundreds of rabbits. Apparently someone or something put the word out.
@clrumfelt (5428)
They sniffed out the gravy train at your house.
@nanette64 (17934)
• Fairfield, Texas
@clrumfelt Dang-nabit; word travels fast.
Well, it was nice that the skunk had a good meal. As you said, it might be best to not put the food out there.
@sugartoes (42524)
• Greencastle, Indiana
yeah it's not good to leave pet food outside for OTHER animals to eat as it does attract other critters as you can well see for yourself.
@clrumfelt (5428)
Yeah we have learned our lesson. No more food outside for the critters.
@sugartoes (42524)
• Greencastle, Indiana
@clrumfelt you know for the ones you reply BACK to if you don't put their name in it they won't see it right? I just happen to see it when I was answering someone else.
@sugartoes I think circumfelt was replying to Erica. If she'd been replying to you, your name would have come up automatically - for instance I did not type your name here.
Skunks love food and not putting any out they don't visit
Like you, I wouldn't have been happy with that. Fortunately we don't get skunks in England.