Sweden is Rude?

@noni1959 (3226)
My daughter Skype'd me to let me know how it is so far. She said the culture is so different there it gives you an isolated feeling. She isn't sure if it's just in Gothenberg where she is right now but said if you hold the door for them, say thank you, or offer help; rude stares and remarks are forthwith. A "transplant" person told her not to take it personally, that this is normal there. She said it's a huge culture shock but she is going to enjoy herself. I told her just go with the flow and stay being herself. What we think is rude, they don't.
You know, when you visit another country there are things that are shocking, just because they are different. I was extremely shocked in the United States when people asked "what do you do for living". This is something considered very rude in my country.
And in some Asian countries it is okay how much you earn. That was a bit of a slap in the face. :)
@JudyEv You are right, this is something we do not expect.Traveling to Sweden there are things that people should know. An example is that Swedish stare (YES!), they do not like to talk and they love their personal space. Also most of the Swedish speak a very little or no English at all.
@noni1959 (3226)
You are right. We all have big differences in our cultures. Where my daughter is she said most she has been around speak English. She told me she was stared at as she made her way to the hotel (had to walk two blocks from transit). This morning she said she is having a good time and and would love to go back.
@hereandthere (31150)
i can understand and accept the stare, but followed by a rude remark? such as?
@noni1959 (3226)
It's the basic stuff she was uncomfortable with like if she said thank you she got a stare and when she tried to open doors for others she got them taken out of her hands. As for remarks, they weren't necessarily rude except for the tone of voice used such as, "how long you staying?" and then they walk off without an answer.
@noni1959 it seems they are very self-sufficient people, but the part about asking and not waiting for an answer is strange.
@miniam (9241)
• Bern, Switzerland
Your daughter may just be having it hard because she`s new at the place,we Europeans are very friendly people in more ways than in other parts of the world.
@noni1959 (3226)
She is having a good time and isn't taking it personal. I think she was more jet legged so let it get to her a bit in the beginning. I'm looking forward to going to Europe.
@miniam (9241)
• Bern, Switzerland
@noni1959 Hope you can visit Europe some day,we are very pleasant people
@ourlot (995)
That seems taciturn, or minimalist communication. If all do that, and all do among themselves, it's the norm, and not rudeness.
@noni1959 (3226)
Good way to put it. I even see differences in our states. I came from California which is so different than here in Oregon.
Even when you know it is just the way they are it is still a bit hard to cope with.
Sad to hear this. Culture differences can make a trip a confusing one.
@noni1959 (3226)
It can. I am going to ask a lot of questions before I go international.
@noni1959 I found Quebec, Canada, to be a bit unfriendly. Who knew?
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I've never been outside of the U.S. other than Canada. So I wouldn't know what is rude and what isn't in other countries.
@noni1959 (3226)
I know some things in England since I have a friend there and one of my doctor's is from there. We talk about stuff like that. What we think is OK, others think is rude.
@Vjvals (932)
• Roseville, California
That's horrible because if it's worse than here then where's the opportunity for any humanity.
@noni1959 (3226)
I think what we think is rude really isn't. I'm learning how cultures are and sure they are friendly there. We have our share of rude people in the U.S.
That is very good advice.