Is 13 microphones enough? (and other important thoughts)

See, this is why I didn't want credit. I keep thinking of more pieces of sound equipment I need. Well, maybe not need, exactly, but it would make life much easier at gigs. And what was the sense of having a 14 channel digital recorder if I didn't buy the extra cables and connectors to use it? And then I realized I didn't have enough microphone stands, so... And that one drummer...he has that odd snare rim, and my drum mic clips wouldn't fit it, so... And it would be so much easier to keep track of stuff if I bought at least one more equipment rack. And what if I have cables start shorting out during a show? (buys a dozen extra mic cables) Whomever approved me for credit needs shot.
@topffer (36363)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
You are crazy. The maximum of micros I have seen for a live orchestra was 6, and it was possibly already too many.
I need 6 just for the drum kit.
@topffer (36363)
• Djibouti, Djibouti
@JolietJake OMG! Everything is bigger in the US.
@topffer One for the snare, one for the kick drum, one for each of the toms, and two condensers overhead to get the cymbals...then three vocal mics...and then if the guitar (x2) and bass amps don't have direct outputs, I'll have to mic them... and I need a talkback mic for me..so 13 doesn't leave me anything if one goes bad...
My saying is go big or go home, so you won't get any argument from me here. I am sure that the new equipment will give ample coverage and catch it all perfectly.
Using the multi-track on the 22nd of October is when I'll find out if it was really worth it or not
@JolietJake What's the event on that day?
@Juliaacv Blanchard Bash, it's an annual Hallowe'en party with several bands I run sound at each year. This will be the first year I use the digital recorder instead of just burning a CD straight from the sound board.
@vandana7 (68473)
Yes, whoever approved you for such snake like arrangements need to be shot..I agree for once.
I do have a $500 limit at least
@vandana7 (68473)
@JolietJake ... Insanity incarnate...don't you trip with all those wires all around you...I hate them..
There always seems to be something. It's all normal. Keep trudging.
At least after this round of insanity I should be good for a year
@JolietJake .....Oh, if I know life at all, something will come up.
@ilocosboy (38680)
Looks like getting ready for some gig there. Or getting ready for some recordings.
Both. I have 4 gigs over the next 5 weekends, and I am going to record bands at one of them.
@ilocosboy (38680)
@JolietJake Rock and roll buddy,
@BettyB (4209)
• Summerville, South Carolina
If you're going to do it, do it right. Get what you want and need. You'll be happier.
The problem with a really good P.A. system is there is always something else you see and you go "Yeah, one of those would make it sound better"
Having credit is quite insidious. We start Needing things that we really only actually want.
I did need the cables, I spent a few hundred on the recorder last year but haven't been able to use it because I didn't have them. At least I am only using it for equipment, and using the money from gigs to pay it off.
lol sounds like an easy excuse to get stuff you kinda sorta wanted too anyways, lol!!!
Before you buy anything think to yourself do I really need this if not do not buy it. Of course that is hard to do.
You gotta give them some "credit" . . . they knew exactly what you were in for!
@crossbones27 (21983)
• Redlands, California
That is how they get you, be careful. Does sound like you are having fun though and that you can use them for your job. That is what I would tell myself anyway. lol