Racism - will it ever change?

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
What are your thoughts about this issue? I often wonder if it is a global problem. I have heard about the caste systems in India, prejudice against Puerto Rican people because they were once slaves, and some Chinese people who don't respect Koreans. How many Mylotters have been or know someone in your locale that has been discriminated against because of race?
@CinnamonGrl (5797)
• Paradise, California
I do. And in fact I didn't know that people move up here to get away from multiculturalism. I moved here after my husband and I separated, to be close to my folks. (Who didn't know either.) I found out later this area is chock full of racists. Between that and the heat in the summer I would like to move away someday. That said, I wonder if I could even escape racism anywhere. It seems to be getting bolder here in the U.S., it scares me..
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
It is frightening.
Humans will always indiscriminate against those who may be different in any way, shape, or form. It must be a human need to discriminate since humans desire to be "better than" in far too many areas in life.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
I agree. The "put you down" to "make me feel better" mantra is alive and well in the US. My neighbor and I were discussing a rare liquor I have. I only had a small amount, so she says, "you keep, you need it". She was referring to the fact that I am raising my grandson and my husband is recovering from a stroke. My mouth dropped - her car has been in it's parking space for over 2 years, just sitting there. Don't know what repair it needs, something is off though. My thought was Repair or Replace by now. I think she needed the liquor more than me . It would drive me crazy looking at a non-working car for that long.
@OneOfMany (9187)
Racism is a weapon that people are still able to use to express their dissatisfaction. You know what starts the trend more than anything else? Division. It's what happens when people keep to themselves or are afraid to blend in with another culture. If you act like a person and you destroy the division then there are less places for racism to occur. It's like how my sister-in-law annoyed me with her 'I'm a minority because I'm Asian' thoughts the one day. I told her the majority population distribution in the world right now is Asian, so how are you a minority in the world stage when you represent the biggest part of it? Also, half of her genetics is not Asian at all (European) so I'm not sure grasping the one part is healthy to begin with. I'm a product of two continents despite the one having been erased in my genetics, that doesn't mean it wasn't involved. How many people out there are also mutts and yet stick themselves in a category? Once you divide yourself from the whole, you are opening the door to racism.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Good post. Thanks
@shivamani10 (10706)
• Hyderabad, India
There is no racism in India. Even caste system is slowly fading out. But I do not know why should a race disappear and lost its significance.? Everybody has got the right to live.