Time to Order Those Traction Cleats for Winter

Well, it is time for me to order new traction cleats. Due to all the walking of the dog who loves winter, traction cleats that I attach to the bottom of my boots keep me from experiencing a nasty slip-and-fall. I purchase Yaktrax™ for my boots. Yaktrax™ fit snugly over the bottom of my winter boots to prevent that slipping and falling due to ice under snow. If sidewalks, driveways, and streets have ice under that snow that falls heavily here, traction is a must. Our neighbor a few houses down from us broke her wrist last winter slipping on a patch of ice on her backyard patio. Our neighbor next door broke his leg shoveling the snow from his driveway two winters ago due a nasty slip-and-fall. Both neighbors were not wearing traction cleats when they slipped, fell and broke a bone, but they do now. The Yaktrax™ I order are not as extreme as the ones in the photo above, but the model I purchase sure does work in providing the traction needed for me to stay upright. Trying to hold onto prey-driven Molly's leash when she spots a squirrel or kitty cat, and she decides to give chase, makes traction cleats a must to avoid broken bones. Morguefile Public Domain Photo
I need to get me some traction cleats very soon too, it's almost that time.
Yes, with all those walks with Rooger, the traction cleats would be a good idea. I can buy them for $10 a pair online, which is a good price to me.
@Corbin5 That is a great price.
May I ask how much these cost? we get ice in Feb. nearly every year.
Not expensive at all. I buy the ones for 10 dollars, also called crampons. They have some that are really heavy duty, but the ones I buy work.
Online shopping from a great selection at Sports & Outdoors Store.
• Calgary, Alberta
@Corbin5 O, Canadian Tire here in Calgary are selling those. . . . and it is $14.00. Thanks for your post.
• Portland, Connecticut
Those sound really cool and if we were going to stay up north I would consider buying them but hopefully we won't have to deal with a lot of ice and snow in Florida !!
Yes, we would take off for FL too during the snowy months, but cannot due to my 95-year-old Dad being here. We tried last year, but had to return to snow and ice due to a medical emergency with Dad.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Corbin5 Yes I waited until my mom was safely settled in the nursing home to use our home and while it meant something to her to see me, I was there but these days while she smiles when she sees me, it isn't like she really needs me there.
@BelleStarr Well, we thought we could go to Florida for a month last January, but only made it 4 days there. My sister called, put me on the phone with doctors, and they said our Dad was "going through the dying process." Since I am Power of Attorney, home we came. My dad always rallies, even from the SARS virus he had when Sis called us at midnight in FL. So, Dad is now in a nursing home, but is really angry being there. Since I am POA, it is easier to just stay here for now and not travel anywhere. Dad recognizes my sister and me, but we are the only ones he recognizes.
Now that's a good idea. I hadn't heard of them before now. I can imagine they are a must have with Molly.
Yes, if she decides to run after a squirrel or kitty cat, I need traction big time!
@Corbin5 I'm sure you do.
@RubyHawk (19050)
• Atlanta, Georgia
Everyone who lives in a cold state should wear these during the winter, it would prevent a lot of broken bones.
I think so too. Our neighbors who suffered broken bones now wear them, thank goodness. The older I get, the more cautious I am about my bones.
@RubyHawk (19050)
• Atlanta, Georgia
@Corbin5 We usually have ice a couple of times during the winter. We try to stay in.
@bunnybon7 (31067)
• Holiday, Florida
glad you are so wise my friend. good for you
I have never broken a bone, and at my age, sure don't want that to happen to me.
They look and sound like something that would be good for me to use in the winters here.
Yes, they really do keep me from slipping on ice.
@Corbin5 My driveway becomes a skating rink in winter its very dangerous!
@shaggin I posted the link below for the ones that only cost $10 for a pair. Do not want you to slip and fall, my friend.
@thelme55 (10148)
I have not wore those kinds of winter shoes. There was not much snow in the place where I live.
Around here, they really are a must.
Traction cleats are good to have and use.
Yes, they do come in handy here.
We sure could use some of those here in our state.
Well, I buy the ones for $10 online and they work. The do not have spikes like the ones in the photo but are made of a intertwined coiled metal.
I had those gadgets once and they didn't want to stay properly on. I complained to the company and they refunded me my money.
Mine do stay on, so I suppose the ones I purchased were a proper fit.
@rina110383 (21987)
Glad you ordered a pair. It's really a must. Does Molly wear dog shoe cleats too?
No, Molly does not wear them, but those toenails of hers probably give her the traction she needs since she has not slipped once.
@IvySaysHi (4041)
I usually just wear whatever shoes I have which yes I have almost slipped in. any falls I have had were not too bad. I need to make sure we buy my son some good boots with good traction so he doesn't slip and hurt himself
Yes, winter sure is a dangerous season for kids and adults alike.
I gather that your winters can be pretty severe, so I quite see that the cleats are a must-have when having Molly on the lead.
Yes, as long as I do not walk on the hardwood floors with them, all is well.
I'd never heard of anything like this simply because we don't get that kind of weather very often plus, in my case, I don't have to walk my pup. Good to know though, I have a couple friends who might be interested in something like this so I'll mention it to them.
Yes, I wear the ones that do not have spikes, but coils of metal, and those are much cheaper and do work well.
• Preston, England
boots with a good tread and grip are essential in Winter
I have never broken a single bone, but the older I get, I think my bones are not what they used to be.
• Preston, England
@Corbin5 I often slip on snow and ice
@arthurchappell Well, just be careful out there my friend!
@Gillygirl (15232)
• Sutton, England
I bought something similar last year than didn't need to use them but I'm prepared for ice now.
Well, it is always good to be prepared. I am just glad they make those things!
@Gillygirl (15232)
• Sutton, England
@Corbin5 Me too, I've already fractured one bone this year I done want another.
@Gillygirl Wishing both of us no broken bones for the rest of our days!!!
@Platespinner (16879)
We don't get a lot of snow and ice, but when we do those would be handy to have. I took a minor spill last winter when I stepped on a patch of ice in the driveway (our driveway is steeply sloped so ice is doubly dangerous).
The link to buy them is in the comments here. I buy the $10 ones and they do work.
@Corbin5 I may have to invest in some. Of course that would guarantee we get Jo ice or snow at all this winter.
@Platespinner Well, I will not buy a shirt for the candidate I am supporting for the upcoming election because every time I do, my candidate loses.
@nanette64 (11953)
• Fairfield, Texas
I don't have to worry much about ice down here in Texas @Corbin5 but if I do get some, I make sure to salt my porches and steps. Now those could come in handy though with our 'john's'.
Oh yes, a "john" that breaks a bone due to our negligence will mean no money for us. Heck, we could be sued. I will buy several pairs of traction cleats for the guys and you get the salt ready! We need that money! We have critters to feed and stuff that needs fixing for heaven's sake!
@nanette64 (11953)
• Fairfield, Texas
@Corbin5 That would be our luck (sued).
@crossbones27 (13658)
• Redlands, California
Those are pretty neat. I would get some, but we rarely get ice here.
So good to hear you rarely get ice. We have "black ice" here that is hard to detect and once stepped upon, a bad fall could result.
• Redlands, California
@Corbin5 I learned about black ice in the Marines, scary stuff. The mountains here get some ice,but I hardly go up there. I do not think they get much black ice up in the mountains anymore though because it hardly rains or snows that much.