Ever sent a message in a bottle?

@5thHouse (1692)
Sheffield, England
A few years ago on the ferry crossing to Calais, I threw a message in a bottle into the sea. I never expected much to become of it, but the bottle was found by 4 other people. Each time someone found it, they added their own messages and returned it to the sea. The people emailed me to let me know they had found the bottle. This is a little girl called Janna from the Netherlands who found the bottle on the beach at Oostkapelle. The bottle was returned to the North Sea with a new message but I've heard nothing since. I wonder if it's still out there and if anyone else ever found it. It's nice to know it made this little girl very happy do discover a message in a bottle on a trip to the seaside.
That is really cool. I have never done it, but think that I may one day
@ms1864 (6986)
• Bangalore, India
I LOVE THIS IDEA!! I don't even live near the ocean to try this out. It would be so nice to receive a bottle with a message in it.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
I think that in our world of technology - emails, texting, messenger, etc -- there's something charming about communicating this why!
@ms1864 (6986)
• Bangalore, India
Charming...that is the perfect word for this idea.
@Meramar (2417)
I never threw a bottle into the sea, but I thought about doing so. It would be very easy, as I live on an island. Maybe, I will do it once in the future. It must be very exciting receiving a message from someone around the world. It remembers me a move I've seen several years ago called "Message in a bottle" with Kevin Costner and Paul Newman.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
I haven't seen the movie. I do remember the Police song, 'message in a bottle' though.
@Meramar (2417)
@5thHouse It's a very nice movie, but at the end I had to cry a bit. If you have the oportunity to see it, I only can recommend the film.
@hereandthere (31166)
i've read stories like these from news sites, but it's so cool to read one right here. i love that you made the bottle continue its journey. which one of those 4 messages next to janna is yours? i love how the picture was taken.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
Mine is the first one on the right.
@responsiveme (16379)
What a wonderful idea. I live far off from the sea or I'd have kept a look out:)
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
It was always exciting to know that someone had found it. I would have been so thrilled to have found a message in a bottle washed up on the beach when I was a child.
That is really neat! I have never done it. I watched the movie message in a bottle the other day and it was a great movie. =)
@CinnamonGrl (5807)
• Paradise, California
This is so awesome! I've never done a message in a bottle. But now you make me think I want to. I don't know when I'll be near the ocean again, but I'm going to keep that in mind. It's cool to find someone who got answers.
@saulgoodman (2656)
• Dundee, Scotland
Hello again The story of your message in a bottle is lovely. The chances are it will turn up on a beach Or be smashed to smithereens on the rocks and he lost forever. I have never put a message in a bottle but I think I might give it a go. Do you think it would be ok to use a plastic bottle? I would worry that if I used a glass bottle it would get smashed on the rocks as I mentioned above and some wee penguin would get a nasty cut. What sort of stuff would I put on the message. Name and email addy and a photo and instructions on what to do for whoever found it.? Aye. Think I will give it a go. Glass or plastic. That is the question.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
I think mine was plastic. An old water bottle, I believe. I put the message into a grip-seal bag inside so it didn't get soaked and unreadable. I guess Green activists would not think it was a very good idea to put plastic or glass into the ocean, but this is no time for political correctness! I will probably do another message in a bottle some time, if I ever find myself going overseas on a boat, which doesn't seem likely in the near future.
• Dundee, Scotland
@5thHouse they dont seem to be making too much fuss about oil companies leaving oil rigs in the sea when they are finished with them. I don't think a plastic bottle would worry them.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
@saulgoodman True! I will not feel guilty about my one bottle a decade
• Preston, England
I threw a bottle with a card an my address into the sea while on a ship in 1977 - never heard anything back
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
That's a shame. It would be rather amazing if you got a reply 40 years later, wouldn't it? Now, that would make a good novel /movie.
• Preston, England
@5thHouse it would be lovely to find it - I always wonder where it ended up
@EddieHands (37845)
Well i have never sent one, before but that sounds like a magical idea!
• Singapore, Singapore
@EddieHands indeed, i think its a magical idea too
@XinfulThotz (4187)
• Singapore, Singapore
it's a nice feeling. I only saw it in romantic movies. have not tried it though.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
I guess we always hope that some handsome stranger will find it and a romance will develop, like in the movies.
• Singapore, Singapore
@5thHouse handsome stranger... only in movies i guess
@Gillygirl (17329)
• Sutton, England
It's a nice thing to do. How lovely to have it found.I hope the bottle turns up again. I did send one many years ago but never heard anything.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
I guess it might not be considered very environmentally sound to be littering the ocean with bottles. I must admit, I didn't think about that aspect of it when I threw it in.
@Gillygirl (17329)
• Sutton, England
@5thHouse I guess it would be frowned upon more these days
@MissNikki (2689)
That is so cool! I remember as a kid doing that, but we didn't use email then so I think I just drew a picture and wrote about myself and put it in the bottle. LoL. I want to try it again now! What did you write in the message in your bottle?
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
I can't remember exactly what I said now but I think I just said I was from England and that I was crossing the channel, going on holiday to Normandy in France and enclosed my address and email address so that I could be contacted if anybody found it. I think the first time it just made its way back to England again but went a little further afield the next time. I am amazed the messages were still readable and the ink hadn't run too much.
@MissNikki (2689)
@5thHouse I love the idea.
That is such a cool idea. I have done it before but I never ever heard back from anybody. I often wonder where they would be or how far they made it. It is a fun thing to do.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
I think it's a great thing for kids to do when they are learning languages as they can write their message in different languages. I think I wrote mine in French as well as English as it was going over the Channel
@5thHouse That's a good idea. I never thought of that.
I wonder if anyone else found one with a message in it and what the message said. It is like a chain letter but it is a bottle passing around with a message not knowing who will find it next if they even will.
@FayeHazel (18027)
Oh that's so cool. I would do it - but I don't live close enough to either coast - loved the ocean though
@jennyjoy (1967)
• Bangalore, India
I've read about the message in a bottle, seen it in a movie.Now I know it actually happened in real life.How thrilling for you.