Bananas in Orange Sauce

@marsha32 (6779)
Did any of you have this as a regular food item when you were in school? We did and it was always my favorite thing!! My mom just got her friendship meal and she got bananas in orange sauce. I haven't thought about it for years, but now I really want some. My friends mom worked in the school cafeteria as a cook---you know, back in the days when everything we had for lunch was made from scratch. I can't remember what it was that the school used to make the orange sauce, but she told us as we became adults to just substitute orange juice instead of milk in instant vanilla pudding. It wasn't quite the same, but it was pretty close. I wonder if I can get my daughter to buy orange juice, bananas and vanilla instant pudding so I can make some for supper tonight. If she can't then I will be making a trip to the store myself!
I have never heard of such a thing before but it does sounds like it would be good. I will have to give it a try sometime.
@marsha32 (6779)
I like the banana and orange juice that you can buy at the store too.
@marsha32 I never heard of such a thing before I will have to check around and see if I can find some.
Does sound good. Maybe some banana pulp was added to the orange juice to thicken it.
@marsha32 .....Tapioca or cornstarch will thicken it.
@marsha32 (6779)
@celticeagle I think I tried corn starch once without any luck. It comes out good with the instant vanilla pudding. I'm still racking my brain on what it was that the school used. I just remember that it was something I would have had to buy at the specialty foods store.
@marsha32 .....Cornstarch is usually better used when cooking stuff on the stove. Did you see the tapioca? That would have to be I would think. Or, maybe gelatin.
@simone10 (22262)
• Louisville, Kentucky
I have never had that before but it sounds really good!
@marsha32 (6779)
It was so good, and all of the kids liked it too.
@simone10 (22262)
• Louisville, Kentucky
@marsha32 I'm glad that it turned out and everyone enjoyed it. I'm going to have to give it a try sometime.
I have never eaten a banana in orange sauce . But what we have is the plantain boiled in caramelized sugar . It is so delicious .
@marsha32 (6779)
a plantain is like a banana right? Bananas are good in a lot of things.
@marsha32 Yes, but it's the variety that is being cooked .
• Marion, Kansas
Around here it is always bananas in strawberry glaze or bananas with strawberries. We do on occasion have mandarin oranges with bananas in them. I am sure a little vanilla pudding added would be tasty. I like that much better than strawberries with bananas.
@marsha32 (6779)
at China Star I always get the bananas with the strawberries in sauce
@mom210 (5795)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I love this, we go to Chinese buffets from time to time and do find them there. They are soo good.
@marsha32 (6779)
Wish our China buffet had it!
All I remember is plain red jello. You guys had it better than we did.
@marsha32 (6779)
I don't recall ever having jello with school lunches....
I never had that sauce before. I am glad you enjoyed it.
@marsha32 (6779)
It was so good. My oldest daughter had forgotten about it too not having it since the last time I fixed it when she was still a child.
@amandajay (17827)
• Sri Lanka
I never heard this before... But it sounds great... It myst be delicious