Convenience and the phone

@dfollin (12769)
My mom had a cordless phone in the living room then she did not have to go far from her chair to answer the phone. But it has broken now and she gets really upset when the phone rings and she has to get up and go in the other room to see the caller ID on that phone and answer the phone. One day she said to me that she wished she had the caller ID on the TV screen and if she was watching a show that she was very interested in or busy doing something else she can not have to get up unless she sees the call is important. I asked her how much it would cost to get one and she said whatever it is it's too much, I cannot afford it. I then asked her if it was available from her phone company and she said that it was, that she knows this because it was offered to her when she first got the service included in her bundle. But when she re-upped her contract for another year it was not mentioned. I told her to call and find out, that is what she would tell me if tables were turned. But she didn't.
@shivamani10 (11187)
• Hyderabad, India
Why doesn't she go for a cell phone.? These people at the time of installation enter into contract assuming so many things but once the period is over they come back again to the base. They will not reduce the amount for 'unprovided' facilities.
@dfollin (12769)
She has a small free basic one via the government and she does not like them because her sight and hearing is not great, she does not even hear the phone when it rings in the other room when we tell her is when she gets up and looks at the caller ID and listens to the answering machine. They keep it on and listen to who it is if she does not recognize the number. Me and my kids have smart phones, she does not want one. She cannot operate it, doesn't even text on her phone and can barely see it. She keeps it with her when she goes out but keeps it in her purse and cannot hear it ring.
@topffer (36133)
• Hamburg, Germany
Cordless phones are not expensive. You should offer one to your mother as a gift.
@dfollin (12769)
I started to but my income is very small and it also comes in a set where the other cordless phone that was in her room and the other phone is a landline phone that has caller ID as well as the cordless phones, but it has an answering machine...... which she MUST have. So she wants a set! And because my income is so low she gets mad when I buy her something.UGH!