Out with the old, in with the new...

By Yuki
@yukimori (9066)
The delivery guys showed up at our apartment first thing this morning with our new washer. My husband had taken the kids out to the store to get donuts for breakfast, so I went out and chatted with them while they unwrapped it and got ready to bring it in. My husband and the kids got back in time to watch them take the old machine out and bring the new one in. The kids thought the harnesses they use to carry the machines were pretty neat--they each put one on, then they attach the harness to a strap that goes under the machine to make it easy to carry. They even hooked up the new machine for us so we didn't have to do it ourselves. I already had a load of wash started by the time my husband came back inside from signing the papers. The new machine is super quiet, and the kids love being able to watch the clothes spin around inside through the door. Me, I'm just loving the fact that it's not leaking all over the place, making atrocious grinding noises at random, and being able to run a full load of laundry. With the old machine, I could only fill it half full or the spring holding the tub in place would come loose and it would slam into the side of the washer when it was spinning. We ended up going a bit over budget to buy the machine my husband picked out, but I think it's going to work out okay. I decided to finance the extra through PayPal Credit, so I have six months with no interest and no payments. We'll have it paid off well within that time frame. The only real complaint I have is that I have to switch laundry detergents. We've been using the Kirkland Signature powdered detergent from Costco for years, but the new machine requires high efficiency detergent. I found a liquid one at Costco that has a mild citrusy scent, so I guess we'll see how that works out. How's your Saturday been so far?
@Mike197602 (13754)
I need a new washing machine...but doubt the landlord will get me one any time soon My saturday was up and down. Worked 7-3 then went back to the optician I just got new glasses from as they are worse than the previous ones...told I was "under prescribed"...didn't know about that so had to look it up and wasn't overly impressed with the outcome. Then, I'd left my car in the hotel carpark as it's in the city center, when I got back to my car it wouldn't start as I'd run out of diesel
@yukimori (9066)
Ha, I wish ours were provided by the landlord. It would have become his problem to deal with if that was the case! That sounds like an overall frustrating afternoon. I hope you were able to get some diesel for the car without too much hassle and walking!
@Mike197602 (13754)
@yukimori 5 minute walk to a garage with a fuel can...I was more bothered about the eye test thing. I've been looking up about the accuracy of eye tests and am very surprised and a bit p'd off that things weren't explained to me as this wasn't cheap I spent nearly £450 in total with the test and frames and adaptive lenses.
@yukimori (9066)
@Mike197602 Oh, that's not too bad then. I don't blame you for being upset about the eye test. Is there any sort of guarantee offered on the glasses you received being the correct ones? Such a load of crap that you might be facing forking over even more money to correct what seems to be their mistake. Ugh.
We need a new washer too. It will happen sooner rather than later.
@yukimori (9066)
We were hoping to put the purchase off until our cross-country move in a year or two. Sometimes the machines force our hands before we're ready!
@Tina30219 (34467)
• Onaway, Michigan
@yukimori They sure do. When me and ex husband got one we had no choice because the machines where we lived liked to ruin clothes and they would notreplace our clothes if their machines ruined them so we got one from a rent to own place because that is all we could afford to do.
@yukimori (9066)
@Tina30219 Oh, yikes! I'm glad we didn't have to go that route... I probably would have gone to the laundromat over buying from a rent to own place, simply because their prices are so inflated. Apparently the one around here likes to try coming after people after their products are paid off, too.
• Midland, Michigan
They carried the washing machine on their body with the harness? They didn't use a dolly to transport the machines in and out of your home? If it's the way I'm understanding this, it doesn't sound too safe, harness or not. We've used a harness to get these types of appliances down the stairs but with a dolly.
@yukimori (9066)
Apparently the harness is designed to maximize safety when moving heavy machines. The only time we really move appliances with a dolly is when we're taking them from one location to another within the store. They had a 300-pound refrigerator on the truck that was scheduled for delivery after our washer on Saturday... I'll have to ask if they move those the same way they moved our washers. I know they were complaining a bit about the fact that it had to be carried up two flights of stairs.
• Midland, Michigan
@yukimori Is the harness worn by two people or only by one? If two, then at least the weight would be shared and maybe not so bad, but I don't see how the harness would stay secure since everyone has a different gait.
@yukimori (9066)
@MarshaMusselman Two people. Each has a harness, and there's a thick strap that goes under the appliance and attaches to both harnesses.
It really did seem like you needed a new machine, I hope it continues to please you. Mine is about 30 years old, but nothing wrong with it - fingers crossed.
@yukimori (9066)
I'm really enjoying it now that I've had a chance to use it several more times. My only complaint is that it holds too much! If I run full loads in it, I have to split them in half for the dryer. Hopefully that won't be a problem for too much longer, since we're going to get the matching dryer after we pay off the washer.
@yukimori I don't have a dryer at all - I know that seems incredible to you in America.
@likun123 (298)
• Angul, India
My saturday is end up with a very memorable day
@yukimori (9066)
Sounds interesting!
@likun123 (298)
• Angul, India
@yukimori hnmm so much intresting
I bet the new machine will do a great job, and I do hope this one lasts a very long time!!
@yukimori (9066)
It has really good reviews, so I'm hoping it will last us at least 12-15 years. I ended up buying the protection plan for it, so it's pretty much covered if anything happens to it in the next 5 years.
Keep enjoying your new "baby".
@yukimori (9066)
I plan to! I left the house during the last load of laundry I did... came back to it beeping up a storm, so I dropped what I had in my hands and ran to see what was wrong... It was just letting me know that the cycle was finished.
Pity that myLot doesn't pay more . . .
@yukimori (9066)
It is, but I think the payments here are pretty fair considering how little effort I have to put in. PayPal allows you to use your account's balance to pay on your credit account, which is pretty neat. I'll probably just make a payment every time I get paid by another site or app until the balance is gone.
@skysnap (17805)
saturday went good. hope you have a good day.
@yukimori (9066)
Oh, it's an awesome day... I'm not having to deal with puddles in the kitchen anymore!
@bunnybon7 (36901)
• Holiday, Florida
not too bad. wonderful to get a new washer. liquid soap is not so bad. you will like it
@sallypup (27505)
• Moses Lake, Washington
Its been an odd day but quiet and mostly peaceful.
Yay to a new washing machine! We got a new dryer a couple months ago and a pre-owned washer (from my sisters) since she had boughten a new one when she moved. Now these new ones use high efficiency detergent.. I wonder what's the difference except it does cost a little more! Enjoy your new washer! Saturdays been laid back for me!
It's always nice to get a new washer and dryer. It is well worth the money you pay. My Saturday has been pretty quiet and laid back for the most part.
@topffer (34601)
• France
Apparently, you really needed a new washing machine. Not sure we have PayPal credit in France, and consumer credit has always been high here, so it is better to avoid it when you can. The problem is that you never know when a washer will die.
@yukimori (9066)
It was definitely time for a new one. The one that we had was given to us about five years ago, but the original owner bought it in the late 1980's. I'd say we got more than enough use out of it! We try not to make use of consumer credit, but in this case it let us get a bit better washer than we had been planning to get. As long as we pay it off before the end of the 6 month promotional period, there won't be any additional fees or interest charged to the account.
@topffer (34601)
• France
@yukimori 1980's ? I am not sure that your new one will last so long. Six months of free credit is a very interesting deal. Due to our laws, free credit rarely exceeds three months for consumer goods in France.
@yukimori (9066)
@topffer I think the general expected lifespan of washers and dryers is somewhere around 12 years now. I'd be surprised if it lasted as long as that old dinosaur did... although with proper maintenance I imagine it's possible. They just don't make them like they used to.
@Tina30219 (34467)
• Onaway, Michigan
Sorry to hear you have to switch laundry soaps with your new machine. I hope you don't run into issues like allergies to having to get a new one. Before my divorce we had a nice one as well you could stop machine in middle of wash if you forgot to add something then restart it. But ours went back we was renting to own it. As for my Saturday just sitting here doing some commenting a bored day here to cold out to do anything and raining.
@yukimori (9066)
So far, so good. We haven't had any issues with the new detergent, and the scent is mild enough that I can tolerate it--huge plus! It seems like rainy days are some of the best days to sit and write on myLot. Maybe a mug of warm soup or hot chocolate or tea to go along with it... mmm.
@Tina30219 (34467)
• Onaway, Michigan
@yukimori Yum now you got me going might have to make me a mug of hot tea I love hot tea especially green tea. Also good days for baking something as well. Glad to hear no problems with the new detergent that is always good.
How exciting to have a spankin' new washer! No more stress of just waiting for the old one to explode at any moment . . . now you can actually enjoy doing laundry (is "enjoy" a good word to describe it? ). I have to think back to Saturday. Oh - it was crazy as it was a full day for my daughter . . . drama and tae kwon do 2nd dan black belt training. The timing was uncertain with everything, so it was a bit difficult being the chauffeur.