That Dummy Doesn’t Know Anything

Otis Orchards, Washington
Back in the late 1970s and early 1980s I housesat for an older couple while they went to Arizona for the winter. “Snowbirds” is what these people were referred to as being. Don’t ask me why since they weren’t going into the snow but escaping from it. “Southern-birds” or “hot-weather birds” or something like that would have been more appropriate. Anyway, to got on with it, these couple returned from Arizona one spring. The husband told me about their trip down into Mexico. They were looking for directions to someplace and pulled into a gas station. So the husband asked the man who ran the gas station for directions. “No comprenda,” the man said. The husband turned to his wife and said, “This dummy doesn’t know anything.” “How are we going to get directions?” his wife asked. “We’ll find someone who can speak English. I’ll just pull in here and fill up with gas while we're here.” Has soon as he said that the man started speaking perfect English. The husband said to me, “Here I called him a dummy practically right to his face and he could understand every word I was saying.” The moral of this story? Don’t go around calling people you don’t know “dummy” or “stupid” or “idiot.” They may be a whole lot smarter than you know.
• Portland, Connecticut
I have been the dummy on many an occasion since I understand French perfectly!!
@moirai (1343)
Haha. True. Also... say, you are with a friend and some foreign strangers in some room. Don't talk to your friend in your language and say bad things about the foreign strangers. You never know, maybe they understand you.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
This is true, too.
Yep - so true - especially these day when a lot of people are multilingual! This reminds me of my old ex-bosses family. Their parents were from Iran - and they knew perfectly well there were many Iranians that lived out here. They used code words because they said many liked to eavesdrop even on strangers conversations and of course they hated that. Their word for "idiot" was the Farci word for meat tenderizer . . . so if they wanted to warn another family member that someone was an idiot, they'd say "meat tenderizer" and no one else would understand what they meant.
@RichardMeister That's probably why they used "meat tenderizer" ! Nope, I haven't seen Jay Leno around . . . I could have sworn Hubby said he did once. But Burbank isn't all that far from us (closer than Thousand Oaks anyway). Oh my gosh did he really have Richard on . . . I can't really imagine what kind of a conversation he would have with Leno . . . I'll have to look that up. I know sometimes videos will be taken off of YouTube . . . there is a certain lip sync battle (with Jimmy Fallon) we watched many times, but that particular one is nowhere to be found now . . . it was so funny! I
• Otis Orchards, Washington
@much2say It was mostly car talk with Richard. He's into cars, too. He has a garage in California, as well. I understand Jay's garage is by (or at) the Burbank airport. As I watch his videos with all the strange cars he drives around I keep thinking nothing must surprise people in California. Jay was even driving one of L.A.'s electric buses and the guy who was overseeing it offered him a job driving city buses. Could you imaging getting on a city bus and Jay is driving it?
@RichardMeister Living here, yah, there are probably a lot of things that don't phase us so much . . . strange things can be seen on a daily basis! But I think seeing Jay as "my" bus driver would definitely be surprising. I just saw the beginning of the video . . . and yah, I see what you mean by Richard being jumpy or maybe having Parkinson's. He seems to be a bit shaky and can't stand still.
@cindiowens (3846)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
We have snowbirds here too. Usually from New York, Michigan, Ohio, or Canada. Fortunately, we speak their language.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
How about the French-Canadians who speak French? Do you get any people who speak French?
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
@RichardMeister Not commonly, but occasionally.
My ex in laws were like that. They were French and they would talk about me all the time while I was sitting right there thinking I didn't understand them. I never let on that I understood every word they said. They were so nice to me when they spoke to me in English but when they spoke about me in French it wasn't the same. lol
What a rude man. I wonder if he learned any thing.
• Otis Orchards, Washington
I don't know if he learned anything. He was a older man and set in his ways.
• Eugene, Oregon
That was a tactless thing to say. The other guy spoke better English than the rude man spoke Spanish.
@shivamani10 (9366)
• Hyderabad, India
I really could not understand what happened to these people? There are such people in Indian States of Tamil Nadu and Kerala also . They know the state language Hindi and do not prefer to speak in Hindi or English. Really a very peculiar mentality. This tendency is more in TamilNadu than in Kerala. They speak at least English as a final resort. But in Tamil State people won't speak even at the cost of financial loss or loss to their personal dignity.