Prince Charles and His Boiled Eggs

By Gill
@Gillygirl (17623)
Sutton, England
In the early 1980's my cousin worked on the Royal Pullman trains. Prince Charles was a frequent passenger and often took the night train. He was notorious for his fussiness. Charles liked boiled eggs for breakfast. They had to be boiled just so. Not a second over boiled or under boiled. Charles could tell and he would return any offending eggs to the kitchen. I asked my cousin if anyone else got to eat the eggs as it seemed such a waste. Apparently not! The eggs were thrown out of the train window. Many years later the news of Charles's wasteful habits with eggs hit the media. His aids tried to play the story down by stating they were used in the staff's breakfast. Yet according to my cousin they were always thrown out of the window. No doubt Charles didn't want to be branded as a litter lout. Can you come up with with any curious foibles of folk.
That does sound daft - were the eggs thrown out on Charles' orders, or did the kitchen staff do it on their own? My son in law was a private chef to an Arabian sheikh, and he tells a lot of stories about the wastefulness.
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
The kitchen staff, I don't think Charles knew what happened to them.
@topffer (36625)
• Singapore, Singapore
I never heard anything similar about boiled eggs. I regret the time when we had night trains : they do not exist anymore in France now. The daughter of a friend works in a famous hotel in Paris, and she told me that a staff was working in the kitchens during all the night to satisfy their clients. She told me that rich people from Arab countries where the ones who were usually ordering a dish at 3 or 4 am. And that lady Gaga was drinking only in her own mug, that she was bringing in her luggage.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Halle Berry talks to her therapist ever day. Don't know if that's weird
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
I guess it depends on why she's seeing a therapist.
• Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
@Gillygirl. Too beautiful, too smart, bad relationships.
Glad Prince Charles was outed regarding his wastefulness. I have read that many celebs are very picky about what is to be put in their dressing rooms before their arrival.
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
I have heard that too.
@hereandthere (33347)
i guess he has his own coach when he rides them, separate from others? it's awful when people waste food.
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
Yes he has his own coach with all the luxuries.
@Gillygirl do they know ahead of time if he's coming?
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
@hereandthere Yes they are informed by the Palace so time can be spent preparing.
I do enjoy my boiled eggs, soft, also BUT if Charles is that picky I suppose at his age and level of royal observance, the entitlement is there BUT instead of throwing them out since he didn't actually eat it, make others happy by offering already cooked eggs. Yes throwing out the train window was a waste I agree
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
For some reason the staff were not allowed to accept them.
@Gillygirl now see that rule is silly and so up tight aristocratic if I were there I would of taken every one he sent back and made the best darned deviled eggs you ever had and the staff would and everybody else would of loved em !
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
@enlightenedpsych2 I would enjoy them too.
I'm astounded that they were thrown out the window! Perhaps animals ate them.
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
Or worse people being hit by flying Charlie eggs as they pass the train.
@Gillygirl Lol! Too loose or too hard!!!!
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
@DianneN Uggh could be very messy if soft boiled lol.
I know it may sound wasteful but at least the earth was able to put all those shells and innerds to use, undoubtedly some small animal ate those eggs so in a sense it was not that wasteful. I'd rather see food thrown where birds and small animals can eat it instead of into a garbage can. But it was a waste of the staffs time to have to cook his food over again.
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
Apparently it is a typical thing that Prince Charles does. I never thought about food for animals. Good one!
I got that from my mom @Gillygirl she always said that if it's food it should go out back where the birds and other animals or insects could eat it. We never put food in a trash can.
An unfortunate waste
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
Yes it's dreadful
I guess if your are a price with almost unlimited resources, you can be as picky as you want. The rest of us can't afford that luxury!! lol I have to admit, hubs is just as picky about how his beef is cooked, if it is overcooked he sends it back to the kitchen no matter how many times they try!!
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
I don't like over cooked beef and would send it back but not several times lol
@thelme55 (15633)
What a waste! I hope some animals nearby have eaten the eggs thrown out the window.
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
It would be nice to think the waste had some benefit.
• Preston, England
that is pretty pathetic of him
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
Yes he can be pathetic at times.
Sorry, can't come up with a curious foibles of people right now. But just want to let you know that I had to look up the meaning of "litter lout" and found out that in the US or Canadian dictionary it is called "litterbug". So, I will go to bed knowing something I didn't know before I started reading this short post.
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
Yes I've heard the term litterbug.
@moirai (2311)
They threw it out?!? They should have just given it to me... Hehehe. And here I was thinking if I was cooking for him, I'd prepare lots of eggs boiled at different minutes so I'd get it right for sure. But I wouldn't want a whole lot to go to waste! Note to self: 1st word for the day: dillybob 2nd word for the day: foibles
@Gillygirl (17623)
• Sutton, England
I don't think they wanted to give the eggs to anyone. I hope nobody was hit by eggs flying from the train.