Music Videos Shot In One Take – Peter Gabriel And Kate Bush – Don’t Give Up

Preston, England
A video from 1986 shot in one take despite its seemingly more elaborate set up. The wonderfully contrasting voices carry great emotion in a song about a man contemplating suicide as his wife talks him out of it over the course of a perfectly timed solar eclipse. The singers are turned slowly on a turntable as they hug each other through the darkness and into the light again, enabling each to face camera when it is their turn to sing, with Bush offering gentle heartfelt reassurances and hope to Gabriel’s intense despair. This is a song for anyone going through such dark thoughts and self-doubt. It is tremendously uplifting work. The video is quite simple despite its complex looking staging. Arthur Chappell
The official Don't Give Up video. Directed by Godley and Creme. # http://petergabriel.com In this proud land we grew up strong We were wanted all along I was...
@VivaLaDani13 (16103)
• Perth, Australia
@arthurchappell I've always loved this song. This was actually one of the songs I forced myself to listen to when I was feeling low. Cried every time.
@Drosophila (16862)
I hate to be depressing, but the premises is you have a wife first
• Preston, England
yes in his specific case though not giving up is a message to all @Drosophila
@Drosophila (16862)
@arthurchappell haha ya, on a morbid note I did know someone who took his own life just before he was due to get married. So ya, it strikes all people really. Thoughts goes out to all affected
wish they could clean up some of these old videos the fuzzy bothers my eyes now
• Preston, England
@Jessicalynnt the digital quality can be poor but for free downloads they are fine
@Hate2Iron (7325)
Gorgeous song and the two voices go sooo well together!
@responsiveme (14361)
thank you for the information..its a wonderful song.
Love Kate Bush. Love Peter Gabriel. Love this song.
So simple, but beautiful. The simplicity is definitely necessary for the message given. And, it really does not make one feel sad, but uplifted as you mentioned.