Why I comb my Broom

Greece
In spite of owning a decent vacuum cleaner I must confess that from time to time I prefer to use a broom. Call me old fashioned but sometimes it seems such an effort to get it out, plug it in, step over the lead and the pipe and cylinder and lug it around the furniture. I have two brooms for the job, one stiff one for the rugs and another soft one for the floor. My floor is tiled and there is no wall to wall carpeting to deal with. So the brooms make for light work in my situation. The only problem with brooms is that, unlike the vacuum cleaner which collects the dust in a bag, the brooms sweep most of it into a dustpan and the rest gets stuck in the bristles. I like my brooms to have clean bristles, not clogged up with dust and worse. So this is my tip for the day. Get yourself a good strong dog comb, one with wide metal teeth and comb the bristles. The dust and fluff and whatever else comes out like magic. After that I wash the bristles clean. They come up like new. You don’t need a new broom to sweep clean, just a dog’s comb and some soap and water.
In our house we have to 'comb' off the hair. We all have thick, healthy long hair and three cats. One is a long hair. We do have our share of hair. My grandmother used to like to use the broom because she was sensitive to the electricity. She'd have me connect the cord to the electrical outlet when she did use the cleaner.
• Greece
We have three cats, two with fairly long hair and it takes a rubber glove to remove the fur from their favourite spots.
@41CombedaleRoad .....Same here. He is a beautiful animal but hairy. LOL
If I didn't have carpets I'd use a broom too. You are right, it's such a hassle getting the vacuum out.
This is a great idea and I thank you very much for sharing. I also prefer to use an old fashioned broom, it's faster and easier.
A good tip.
I mostly use a vacuum cleaner but for the tile floors I like a broom. Thanks for the tip.
great tip! i've a weird lookin' gadget fer cleanin' those bristles here. e'en works'n the vac's bristles, lol. a good broom 'll last 'cha a lifetime if'n tended proper :)
Your experience will be prized by those who use the brooms .I have no vacuum cleaner,because my floor is made of blocks of wood.
@sol_cee (15323)
• Japan
Mom used to threat us with broom spanking if we're naughty.
@AutumnSnow (4584)
I do this with the broom that I use for the kitchen and the bathroom. Because you think about it dirt and dust and animal fur get caught up in the bristles of the broom and the next time you sweep the floor your just spreading that dirt back on the floor. I also spray my broom with lysol spray after each use.
A useful piece of advice! There are also brooms with plastic 'bristles', You clean them by simply putting them under a tap.
@responsiveme (16012)
We use the vacuum cleaner rarely but sweep daily with a broom.We have bare floors.