Salt in a sock for earache?

@Jackalyn (6837)
Oxford, England
I had earache yesterday. I am staying with my parents. My Dad suddenly said "salt in a sock!" This is apparently what my Grandma used when he was young. You put sea salt in a sock and then warm it in a dry pan. Now I have googled it it seems others know about this remedy, but I had never heard of it, have you? I may try it later.
And when it's already warm , you wear it ?
@Jackalyn (6837)
• Oxford, England
I think you press it to your ear!
@Jackalyn Oh i see . Thanks for clarifying .
@crossbones27 (21176)
• Redlands, California
Never heard that before. Thanks for the tip. I have not had an earache since I was 5, but used to get real bad ones back then. Sometimes it feels like one is coming on, but goes away real quick. Not sure what that is about. lol
@amnabas (10315)
• Karachi, Pakistan
Yes I have heard it it soothes the earache.
@Hate2Iron (8022)
I was wondering too... what do you do with it once it has been warmed up??
Oh yes - that was a common remedy when I was a child, though we used ordinary salt.
That's a new one on me too.
A couple of colleagues were nattering about earache remedies this week and one mentioned using an onion. Now I have two remedies to try the next time I have earache, but I get them so rarely that I'll have forgotten both of them by the time I'm writhing around in agony!
@teenspirit (1611)
• Israel
its the first time that i heard it....
Yes I have done this and it works, what it does is the salt pulls the blocked water from the inter ear that is causing the pain.
I never heard of that remedy before. I hope your ear ache is better now. For me, I would use my palm as a suction and try to make my ear ache better.