Have you ever hitch hiked?

@Jackalyn (6655)
Oxford, England
In my youth I hitch hiked from London to Paris and in Jordan. Sometimes I hitch hiked in the UK. With a friend I felt safe. Christmas cards were exchanged and visits with one family we met that way for years. I would have been horrified if my kids ever did. The world has changed hasn't it? What about you? Have you ever hitch hiked?
@owlwings (39209)
• Cambridge, England
I used to hitch-hike a lot in my youth. My longest single hitch was from Cambridge to Penrith (about 250 miles). It was a Bank Holiday, so there were no lorries and, in those days, people didn't travel as much or as far on Bank Holidays, so I was expecting it to take me quite a long time to reach the Lake District but the first car that stopped (a Mini, as I recall) was able to take me (almost) all the way to where I wanted to go. I think that I caught a bus to Glenridding from Penrith. Later on, by the time I had a car, I used to pick up hitchhikers quite often but, by then, people - both drivers and hitch-hikers - were becoming aware of the dangers and it was less common. These days, one hardly ever sees anyone hitching.
@Jackalyn (6655)
• Oxford, England
Yes, not seen one for years and I even hesitate to pick up couples now. The last time I did so they were very sweet, but I was still nervous.
@owlwings (39209)
• Cambridge, England
@Jackalyn I remember the trick of putting the most appealing member of a group on the kerb whilst the others stood about trying to look as if they weren't associated. A HITCH HAIKU A smile and a thumb: All I can offer to ride. Fields and towns whizz by.
@Jackalyn (6655)
• Oxford, England
@owlwings Definitely I was that girl!
I have thousands of miles of hitch hiking experience, but I gave it up as a mode of travel several years ago. It's almost impossible to get a ride these days.
@Jackalyn (6655)
• Oxford, England
It is sad really as you could meet really interesting people.
I never had, but my husband did in college. He would hitchhike to go home for the holidays when in college. No way could anyone be assured they would remain safe hitchhiking today.
I never have. It would be too dangerous especially in this day and age.
@jonsky77 (48)
• Makati, Philippines
Yes when i was a teenager..got a ride from a coconut delivey truck..and 10 hour ride from a fish dealer truck.an awesome experience indeed..
@rusty2rusty (6769)
• Defiance, Ohio
I had hitched hiked years ago with my ex step father when it was starting to be unpopular back in the 70's. I would not dare do it now. To many crazies that can't be trusted.
@magallon (18090)
Isn't it dangerous to let hitchhikers into your car? It's difficult to trust anybody today.
@Jackalyn (6655)
• Oxford, England
Yes, It is considered so now, but many of us used to travel like that at one time or pick up hitch- hikers to make a long journey less boring. I would not do it now.
@magallon (18090)
@Jackalyn True... we have to be careful these days...
@Morleyhunt (19750)
When I was approximately 9, my brother and sister were 11 and 12...we missed the school bus in the morning. My mother told us to hitchhike to school...we did. Now a days, I think Family and Children's Services would have been knocking at her door.....
@Jackalyn (6655)
• Oxford, England
It is amazing how times have changed. There used to be so much trust.,