About Babies, Peanuts and Eggs

Riga, Latvia
No I haven’t finally lost my marbles. This is just a heading to catch your eye. You already know how people are affected by things like allergies. For them it is always important to be sure that they don’t eat what they are allergic to or they aren’t around things that make their allergies worse. Well when I read this piece I just had to share it with you. One of the worst allergies is an allergy toward peanuts which if ingested can cause death to the person who is allergic. However help may be available for those who haven’t developed any allergies yet. In a research that was done in London it was discovered that by feeding babies peanuts and eggs it could be possible that when they grow older they won’t be allergic to these foods. In this interesting research over 200,000 children were involved. It was discovered that if babies who were between 4-to-6 months old ate eggs they were 40% less likely to get an egg allergy than children who started to eat eggs later in life. Babies who were between four-to-eleven months old and ate peanut butter were 70% less likely to develop a peanut allergy. The two most common childhood food allergies are those toward peanuts and eggs. Of course it is strongly advised to never attempt to feed babies whole nuts but to be fed smooth not crunchy peanut butter. Some other common food allergies are those toward soy, wheat, sesame, fish and seafood. Researchers believe that if these foods are fed to babies before the age of one they won’t develop allergies toward them either. Parents should first check the health of their babies before offering them each new food. More research will be done to discover what the best ages are to start feeding babies with peanuts and eggs. What do you think?
English News Lessons: Free 26-Page lesson plan / 2-page mini-lesson - Food Allergies - Handouts, online activities, speed reading, dictation, mp3... current events.
If that works it would really be a boon as peanut allerbgy seems really bad in people my dust allergy is not dangerous just horribly uncomfortable is all.
@divalounger (2275)
I think soy will be the next big food allergen--but I wonder if some of this comes from the GMO we have here--
• Riga, Latvia
I'm glad I no longer have to worry about babies because the GMO issue just recently was raised here in Latvia and from all of the imported products more and more artificial and chemical items get added to food here @divalounger
@RasmaSandra I think Europe is more proactive about the GMO issue than the US is--what a shame for us really
• Japan
It makes sense. I have read that it also applies to allergies to animal fur-- kids who grow up with animals often aren't allergic.
• Riga, Latvia
That is a good thing because what would it be to grow up without a pet @patatonicsca I got lucky as an only child living in small apartments I never had a pet but also no allergies. I would have loved to have a furry friend all of mine were stuffed.
There was an article that just came out on this top two days ago. What was the source for your information?
• Riga, Latvia
It is in my post -Breaking News English.