Vegetarian Married to a Carnivore Can Be Trying at Times

Being a vegetarian for decades, and being married to a life-long carnivore, does have its problems. My husband is the carnivore; I am the vegetarian. Last night, my husband was frying bacon. When one has been a vegetarian for ages, like me, many of us vegetarians can no longer stand the smell of meat or fish. Many of us who are of the vegetarian-breed cannot stand the sight of meat or fish, nor can tolerate touching it. My husband will cook fish outdoors on the grill, to avoid my freaking-out reaction, which is very nice of him. Fish smell in a house is just not something I can tolerate. Yesterday, he cooked bacon in a frying pan, and if I had been quick enough, I would have told him to cook the bacon on the grill outdoors. My first thought was the grease that fills the frying pan due to all that fat on bacon. Of course, my husband places a round, splatter-prevention mesh thing over the frying pan, but that grease does make its way onto the stove top and bits of it end up on the tile backslash despite the protection utensil. So that grease-image made me gag a bit. The smell of the bacon cooking was a bit too much for me to handle too. Again, gag-reflex in action. I am pleased with myself since I did not say one word about the bacon-frying. I did ask him about the cleaning method he was going to use regarding the grease that may have splattered onto surfaces, and he did answer with the correct method of clean-up. Then, I just went shopping to avoid the smell and the grease. I went back home to a house that was bacon-smell free and grease-free. I always have less money in my banking account when I escape the house due to the cooking of meat indoors, but the method is such an enjoyable one. Pixabay Public Domain photo.
@Morleyhunt (19720)
My extended family consists of vegans, those who avoid just red meat, those who don't eat pork, shellfish and assorted other items. Throw in some gluten intolerant, lactose intolerant......potluck are a hoot,
Oh yes, some of the meals I have made for myself are really weird, but filling.
@Corbin5 I think out of the box. I can make dishes meat free and people never know.
@andriaperry even a pork-and-chicken eater like me would be curious about your out-of-the-box meat-free dishes
• Preston, England
it must be tricky when vegetarians and vegans share a house and kitchen with us meat eaters
Well, we do the "prepare-your-own-meals" method. It works. I did cook meat for our son to make sure he grew up strong and healthy, though. A mom will sacrifice for their child.
@Corbin5 i had relative like that. there were so many foods she couldn't eat, but she still prepared all the family meals daily for her husband and children and just relied on her sense of smell to make sure they taste okay.
• Dundee, Scotland
It must be.
wow. The smell of bacon dissipated that quickly? I find that it lingers in my house for a few hours at least.
I went to Hobby Lobby and Target, and that took time since there was so much to look at. I also put new wax melts in the warmer units before I left, so that did the trick.
@XinfulThotz (4187)
• Singapore, Singapore
i have been a vegetarian all my life... i hate the smell of fish and certain meat... my hubby is an omnivore. but at home, we cook only vegetarian...he can still have his meat and all but probably have to eat out or takeaway
He is a omnivore?Are there any human Carnivores??
• Singapore, Singapore
@MediciMoor there are. I have friends who don't eat any vege or fruits at all.
• Sydney, Australia
I admire the compromise! The smell of fish cooking is absolutely horrid.
It is good that you have reached a compromise or a way of dealing with the situation so you both can enjoy your meals.
like your once-a-week setup with vince.
@hereandthere Exactly - but now he has a bad shoulder and can't play golf for a while. I offered to cook tonight as I would normally do but he has something planned already. Imagine enjoying cooking!
@JudyEv he'll do it even with his shoulder hurting, a true blue food lover.
@1hopefulman (27220)
While I at times have fish or meat, I have not used my stove for years. I only eat meat or fish on occasion at a restaurant or at somebody else's home. You do have a wonderful husband that cleans the home so well. Glad you found a patient way to deal with the difference in eating habits.
does not using the stove for years mean you're on a raw food diet @1hopefulman?
Well, if I had not reminded him that he needed to clean the area, he would have left it for me to do. He is a great guy, though.
@hereandthere I have never used the oven we have in our home. I do not like to cook or bake, so the microwave is the only appliance I use.
@sallypup (26570)
• Moses Lake, Washington
I'm not eating meat at this point due to craving better health but if I could smell bacon it would just make me hungry. Our local butcher has bacon that is not as greasy as you describe. I continue to persist on not running over to him to nab some home done sausages etc. Sorry about your bad morning.
@sallypup (26570)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 This brings me back to my not eating sugar anymore. My husband is nice. He no longer eats sugar now, either. I guess I could handle it if he sat down to a big bowl of ice cream and I didn't.
@sallypup I do not eat much sugar either or snack foods that are fatty. I love sugary foods, but they just are so dangerous to health. I do buy cookies for my elderly dad, because at age 95, if he wants a cookie, he can have a cookie! My husband hides them in his office or I would get into them. When it is time to see Dad, my husband hands them over.
@sallypup (26570)
• Moses Lake, Washington
@Corbin5 I hope your dad is doing well. Last year my 94 yr old Mom was worrying about her diet. I tried to tell her that at her age a little fatty salmon skin was okay to eat.
Good for you that your husband cleans up the splatter . If it will be my husband who cooks , he requires me to do the cleaning .
• Sydney, Australia
I agree! Although I'm not cooking I am still left to do all the cleaning! :(
Well, I have to remind him, but he does follow through with the cleaning after the reminder.
That would be akin to a smoker and a non-smoker. I am a meat/chicken eater and would never consider marrying someone who wasn't. Just as when I smoked I only married a man who did the same.
Well, I became a vegetarian about 25 years ago, and we have been married 44 years, so can't toss the guy out now. I really do like him al lot!
@Corbin5 LOL. Mine still smokes and I quit.
I still have problems cooking red meat, I am a veg head but I will et fish and sometimes chicken.
Yes, the red meat is a danger to humans since humans do not digest it well or expel it as quickly as true carnivores. The meat just rots in the too-long human intestine, and I would imagine that is not a good situation. Humans also have weaker stomach acid than true carnivores which makes breakdown of meat too slow for health purposes.
I am also a carnivore. I don't think I could live with out meat.
Some folks love it. I am the only vegetarian in my family, and I do love all the carnivores I know. You too!!
@FayeHazel (17093)
That is difficult when smells bother you I can only imagine. Funny, I was just going to write about a vegetarian product that I love.
I am so pleased there are so many tasty vegetarian products out there. In the old days, poor vegetarians probably had to eat a lot of lousy food.
We're both carnivores here and love our bacon! I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to have to share with someone that is vegan. I am a former smoker, and my husband still smokes, and the smell of that is difficult for me-it must be similar.
• Sydney, Australia
A big congratulation greeting from me to you for quitting! I admire the willpower. I don't have it yet, but I have been planning to build up the courage to do it for several years now, but I seem to fail miserably every time. My partner has stopped smoking recently as says he now realises how terrible it really does smell.
Oh yes, I can imagine the smoke is a hard odor to tolerate. We just cook separate meals. Works out pretty well.
@Corbin5 Smell is smell, food or smoke, I would imagine that they are equally difficult.
@veganbliss (3903)
• Adelaide, Australia
I know how you feel. I'm fruitarian & my wife is vegan
this is the first time i've heard of fruitarian. do you grow your own fruits?
• Adelaide, Australia
@hereandthere sometimes. It's only certified organic from local farmers for the rest. There are plenty of us; many are hiding, the rest are converting to breathaireans
So glad you understand! Sometimes I get the feeling I am the only one.
That is definitely a tough situation. Good for you though - I've heard shopping described as "retail therapy." It does work!
• Sydney, Australia
It certainly does!! And boy, doesn't it hurt sometimes too :P
Yes, the retail therapy is a therapy that is quite enjoyable.
• Portland, Connecticut
At this time we only have one vegetarian, our granddaughter and one gluten intolerant, my daughter in law, the rest of us are all carnivores. My husband gags on most veggies so I guess that is what makes the world go round.
Oh yes, humans are a varied lot. That is a good thing, in my opinion.
• Portland, Connecticut
@Corbin5 It is but it can make cooking quite exciting lol
@divalounger (2252)
I too am a vegetarian--and it is the meat smell more than anything else that gets me--I will sometimes buy a pre-cooked chicken for my husband though--it is better than when he cooks meat
I make my husband take the crock pot in the basement when he cooks chicken in that thing. Chicken is the worst smell to me.
@Corbin5 Oh I agree--it was cooking chicken that finally did it for me--I couldn't stand to even touch it
@garymarsh6 (13390)
OH lordy. I love the smell of bacon cooking! It is one sure way of getting the household up early in the morning! Who can resist apart from you of course
• Sydney, Australia
I definitely agree! And lucky me, it's only 5 hours until it's a reasonable time to have breakfast here, and it's definitely going to be bacon.
A lot of vegans and vegetarians has the smell-issue regarding the cooking of meat and fish. We just vacate the premises when possible.
@cindiowens (3842)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Wow, I never thought about that. There is a girl at work who is a non dairy, no sugar vegan. I'll bet my food disgusts her.
• Sydney, Australia
I think anyone that can survive the day without numerous cups of coffee, with way too much sugar, can't really be human can they?
Oh, vegans and vegetarians get used to others eating a variety of foods they avoid.
@skysnap (17819)
Haha. you're vegetarian?
Yes, for a long time. Only family member that happens to be one. I am the odd duck.
@Corbin5 I am going to be the odd duck too, I decided yesterday i have to finish some meat then it is back to being vegetarian I get sick when i eat meat it disgusts me so much. Good post you have a good husband!