Independent Bookstores

@Fishmomma (11467)
I love books and try to visit the independent bookstores, as there are less of them in my area now. I'll admit miss Borders and Barnes and Noble is a long drive for me. My area has some interesting bookstores, as one of them is called Bart's Books. Imagine walking along a sidewalk with shelves of books and selling books on the honor system, as you drop your cash in a coffee tin on the bookshelves. You can even bring in your book collections and trade for books. Mrs Figs Bookworm has a porch inside the store and opened in 1973. This store even offers coupons to save money during the holidays. I think books are a great gift. The Calico Cat Bookshop was named for a cat that use to sleep in the window near the sign that said "quiet daysleeper on premises". This store has lots of cookbooks. The Book Cellar is located under a library and is only open on Saturdays. I think its great, as it helps the library have more books and have more programs. I would enjoy hearing about some unusual bookstores in your area. I'm located in Southern California and this is just a few of our stores.
There is Book Soup in West Hollywood. Vroman's in Pasadena. Those are the biggest indie bookstores I can think of in SoCal.
@Fishmomma (11467)
I will have to check out Book Soup, as haven't been in that one yet. Thanks I'm looking forward to getting more books. I'll admit my house looks like a library, as I have book shelves from Borders. Its the greatest items that I have every bought at a closing sale. Thanks for posting.
@AliCanary (1851)
Wow you actually have a lot of indies in your area! We only have one that I can think of, a very cool place downtown that has readings and other activities. I miss Borders, too, and Waldenbooks.
@Fishmomma (11467)
Thanks for posting and yes there are many bookstores in this area. My daughter worked at Borders, so I would hear about new books right away. It was so great, as there were coupons available to reduce the price. Its the store I miss the most.
There are very few independent bookstores left in this area of the world. The renting space is too expensive, we find books only in the malls.
@Fishmomma (11467)
We have a few book stores in the malls; however, lost many of them with the high cost of renting space. Waldenbooks was in our malls and sure miss the store. Thanks for posting.
@Fishmomma My husband loved to visit the Waldenbooks when we came to the United States, we also lost a great book store here, it's a shame.
@Morleyhunt (20281)
I borrow most of my books from the library. If our local library doesn't have the book that I am looking for, I can inter-library loan from anywhere in the province.....great to have family working at the local library.
@Fishmomma (11467)
A lot of people do get books that way and I do when its a book that I'm only reading one time. My Mystery and Cookbook Authors I tend to read or look at recipes more than once. Thanks for posting.