how important are siblings

New Delhi, India
Are brothers and sisters very important for a child... Today I went to parents teachers meeting at my 2year old kid's playgroup... And there the teacher told me that he does not share his things with his friends.... The next question she asked was doesn't he have brothers and sisters.... He is my only son and I was shocked ... Are only brothers and sisters can teach us to share... Can't we as a parent inculcate this in him.. What do you think? Every child who is single does not develop sharing and caring...
@ilocosboy (34344)
in times of troubles and problems including when you need money or comfort, siblings are always there.
They can help us in times of difficulties. Blood is thinker than water
True siblings are important, they are your true friends for life.
• New Delhi, India
But in today's scenario what if I don't want a second child then will my kid never learn to share
@amitkokiladitya Well he could still learn to share from you.
@swetashi (38)
• Patna, India
Well most parents prefer to have a single child these days. I agree that siblings are important . in a child and his parents there is always a hesitation for the child to speak up. But you shouldn't stop trying. Involve yourself in fun activities with your son. Ask your husband to help too. Your son can tend to be more comfortable with his father.. Just don't lose hope and don't stop trying.. He will come around good . all the best!
• New Delhi, India
Thanks a ton
@ms1864 (6995)
• Bangalore, India
Sharing has nothing to do with having a sibling....that is taught by the parent...though on other matters...having a sibling is nice.....i am the younger one so i always was a brat for my brother....obviously now things have changed. But i love having a elder brother.
@crafty01 (335)
• Jamshedpur, India
Essence of giving and sharing comes from the bottom of the heart. Brothers and sisters might me useful in inducing sharing and caring but at the end of the day its the parents who have to nurture such wisdom in their kids.
My siblings are so important to my life. We joint force to aim the highest goal for the family
When my oldest daughter was younger she was the only child for 2 years and I did teach her to share by sharing with me and her cousins who she spent time with. It is something that can be taught with only children as well if your consistent.
It's difficult for me to say something on the topic. I am an only child.
Our daughter is an only child , but she's happy . That's because she found the love of brothers and sisters in her cousins . In fact , one of them , a gay and is now a teacher , always send her extra money other than the monthly allowance we give her .
@sishy7 (27666)
Naturally an only child would not have anyone to share anything with most of the time so he/she would need to be given extra efforts to teach them the concept of sharing...