How the Contra Costa Sheriff's office disappointed me yesterday.

Pleasant Hill, California
So I got another call yesterday, my second of the day, telling me that IRS I (Internal Revenue Services? I thought it was called Internal Revenue Service) was suing me. Scams bother me, so I decided to call the local Sheriff, which has jurisdiction here, since I live in unincorporated Pleasant Hill. I copied down the phone number that "IRS" had given me, and was going to pass it on to them. A real person answered, and asked me if it was an emergency. I said it was not. They said they'd put me through to a dispatcher. I heard little beeps every ten seconds or so, but no bad music. I was thankful for that. But nobody picked up. After five minutes, I hung up. If police departments are trying to establish better relationships with the communities they serve, how can they simply "not pick up" in the middle of the day? I could have been an honest black citizen wanting to pass on information about suspicious activity at a house across the street. I would have hung up thinking that the police don't care about people in my community. Is there any way to "bust" these scam artists anyway? For anyone bolder than me (who wants to "mess" with them), the number they left was 512-813-7287. I'd love to pretend to be an idiot, arrange to meet them in a safe location with my $1000 check, or whatever they're going to ask for, and have the police there with me. But they're probably just pfishing for social security numbers or something. I digress. Have the police ever simply not been there for you?
It seems that in our Chicago suburb, the police really do not go out of there way to help in matters of which they feel are not that important.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Are the suburbs really that crime-ridden? Here, naughty people from Oakland and Antioch visit the suburbs now and then. But it's not THAT common.
@TheHorse In DuPage Country, where I live, there is very little crime. However, the wealthier DuPage Country suburbs have an increasing Fentanyl and heroin problem, but those users have plenty of money, so money is not obtained through criminal activity. If a small incident occurs, the police here just forget about it and do not follow through. Guess they have it a bit too easy on a regular basis.
Police takes forever for anything and everything !!
@TheHorse Seriously! Yet on the news you see things like ~ police officers guided a bunch of lost animals /horses, etc. -__-
• Pleasant Hill, California
@infatuatedbby I feel for the police when they have to deal with hard core criminals, though.
@TheHorse yes! But they should have a different line and responsive ones for situations like yours :)
@akalinus (20158)
Maybe you called during the coffee and donut time. I lived in a place once where the police would not come out for stolen property or break-ins. They just sent a police report for the insurance. They only came out for shots fired, physical assaults, and bodies.
• Pleasant Hill, California
In one case in Oakland, I called about shots fired. Nobody hit? They weren't interested.
@akalinus (20158)
@TheHorse Our cops in New York came out for shots fired and not much else.
Oh yeah! I have needed assistance and they did not come!!
• Pleasant Hill, California
When my car got broken into in Oakland years ago, they basically laughed at me. Of course they didn't show up.
@OneOfMany (12416)
I've never really needed the police so I have no idea one way or another. I got this call once, and as I was just getting ready to mail my quarterly taxes out, I figured that was payment enough. :P I know for a fact that the IRS sends lots and lots of letters before they ever take legal action, and even then they never call you personally.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Yeah, it's a pretty weak scam. But some people will still be suckered by it, I assume.
@OneOfMany (12416)
@TheHorse I would love to find their operations center and have a chat...
@msiduri (5743)
@TheHorse What I find most enraging is that the people who fall for these scams are the most vulnerable: the elderly, people with limited English skills, and so on.
I've never had to call for anything other than an emergency. But this is why I don't answer the phone unless I recognize the number.
• Pleasant Hill, California
I get calls from former clients, etc. Sometimes I'm not sure if I recognize the number or not.
@TheHorse - Ah. I understand that.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@teamfreak16 But I usually let it ring until the caller identifies him or herself...unless I recognize the name and it's someone I want to talk to.
@jennyjoy (1966)
• Bangalore, India
The police are there for the rich and famous.I don't fall into either catagory
• Pleasant Hill, California
I think maybe they're just understaffed. In Oakland, minor crimes like people breaking into cars are just laughed at.
@jennyjoy (1966)
• Bangalore, India
@TheHorse Understaffed,true.Thankfully we don't have such a high crime rate.
@msiduri (5743)
The problem for the local police is the most, if not all of these [bad word implying these peoples' parents were never married] are out of the country. One guy who recorded his call and put it on Facebook played with his called who then admitted to being from Pakistan. He said things like "My father was Osama bin Laden" and "We knocked your twin towers down." The local police can do nothing. They might refer you to the FBI or Homeland Security, but guess how long you'll be on hold there? I've been told many of the calls are coming from Russia as well, but who knows?
• Pleasant Hill, California
I sure don't (know). The lady in this message had a decent American accent but her grammar wasn't quite right.
@msiduri (5743)
@TheHorse So many calls we get from, ahem, "Windows" come from people with Indian accents I finally let loose one day screamed at one guy, "Samir? Is that you? You still owe me 3000 rupees, you filthy thief! My cousins and I will stop by your house to collect it!" I don't know how much the person heard. I hung up then. He kept saying I was crazy and his name was not Samir.
@Platespinner (17047)
Thankfully I have not had the need to seek their assistance in a LONG time...the last time I had assistance from a police officer was to break my youngest child out of a locked vehicle (that was a stressful morning!).
• Pleasant Hill, California
I'm glad it wasn't anything beyond that. Were they professional?
@vandana7 (66889)
I was so stupid...I should have applied for this job...I could have slept anytime, or indulged in my hobbies...smh...how stupid of me...
• Pleasant Hill, California
Alas, it's a tape recorded message.
I got a call from them (IRS) a few months back, and called them back and had fun pissing them off...in fact, they hung up on me and wouldn't answer the phone anymore.
• Pleasant Hill, California
You have brass balls. I'd be afraid they'd have my number, try to get my name, etc. What did you say to them? If I called them back I'd probably play along, pretending to be really worried that the IRS was after me. Then, when they started asking me for information, I'd say I do a lot of work with CDCR and eventually tell them to kiss my donkey.
@TheHorse Instead of calling the number I got in the automated message, I called the number the message came from and said I was calling back about the lawsuit. They wanted to know my name, and I said "But you already know my name, you just called this number and said I was in danger of a lawsuit". And I gotta admit, he was slick, the guy tried to get out of it by saying yes, they have my name, but it is sensitive information, so they have to make sure of who it is they are talking to so they don't give the information to unauthorized people. And then I allowed as how yes, my name is sensitive information, and I have to make sure THEY are calling the correct user, and if they would just verify who I was with me, I'd be glad to discuss the case with them...and it quickly degenerated into him losing his temper and hanging up.
• Pleasant Hill, California
@JolietJake Ah, well done! Did it sound like he was in the US?
@DaddyEvil (25818)
• Aurora, Missouri
LMFAO! Uhm... pony? You could do what some of the people on this page did... They called the number back, and announced that they were IRS agents, AFTER asking the person who answered the phone what was their agent number and location! The "agent" hung up! (grinning at you!) Just don't give them any information about yourself and you should be fine...
Please beware of this suspicious number, it was reported to WhyCall.me
• Pleasant Hill, California
Oh, maybe I'll try that.