Kindle vs Paperback

@nomus24g (24363)
The other day, I ran into a debate with a colleague of mine, who taunted my preference of Paperback over Kindle. The point he was trying to make is that, by using Kindle, he is contributing to the society & saving a lot of trees. But then I asked him to think through properly & then comment - he still insisted, that how eco-friendly he is and how I am NOT. Then I finally had to explain him, how he is equally causing damage to the environment (if not more) by using a Kindle, my pointers were as below : 1) Kindle runs on either battery or electricity - a battery cannot be discarded in nature, as it emits radiation & hence is harmful. The electricity which runs the Kindle also consumes huge amount of natural resources, either coming in from a hydro power plant or from Coal fired power plant. In case of hydro, one needs to build a dam which obviously distorts the balance of a river stream etc. 2) Kindle also causes harm to health, constant exposure will dry up the eyes & will have ill-effect on vision. So, what's your logic
@Teep11 (7123)
Paperback is still the favorite. A good paperback book. Oh what a joy! Some do enjoy their Kindles. What a great day. Hope you're having a wonderful day. Enjoy the reads either way.
@pgntwo (21924)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
Kindle Basic uses reflected light (knocking your #2 out), and can survive weeks on a single charge... Paper is on the way out, I fear.
@nomus24g (24363)
but it needs charge...isnt it??? staring at screens dry up your eyes, not much due to light but lack of eyelid activation..it also increase the radius of pupil
@pgntwo (21924)
• Derry, Northern Ireland
@nomus24g Staring at a dusty, yellowing book can make the eyes itchy too... And yes, the Kindle needs power.
@nomus24g (24363)
@pgntwo Research says...people staring at computer/eReader etc tends to have adverse effect on eyes than normal book readers...m sure they have done due deligence before releasing report
@responsiveme (16835)
No logic,,,only emotion...I love paperbacks....old or new.