Renaissance Festivals 2016

@FayeHazel (17093)
I was fortunate enough to attend 2 Renaissance festivals this year. For those who don't know they are quite the big thing in the US. Some run only one weekend, other, bigger ones run a month of weekends. The first one I went to is like the latter, it runs a month of weekends and is in my home state. So what happens at such a festival you ask. There is normally an admission fee and the whole thing is set up to look like something out of the Renaissance period. Some people take the time frame very seriously and try to be as historically accurate as possible. Other people, like me, just have fun with getting close and can't even tell you what period of years the time frame known as the Renaissance ran. There are many shops and vendors and the focus, again, is on arts and goods that were available at the time. Pottery, metal work, period clothing, jewelry, stained glass - all of those are quite common to be seen. Of course there are food vendors. There are things like pot pies that may be closer to accurate - however there is plenty of modern junk food too like corn dogs and pepsi. The vendors are encouraged to talk, dress and act like olden times. Also there are a lot of people employed to be characters, they will come up to you, tell jokes, make conversation, etc. There are wenches, pirates, washer women and men, royalty, knights fairies, belly dancers and even mermaids. This year between the 2 festivals I went to I got to pet an owl, danced, hung out with pirates, saw jousting and "battle", got some nice pottery and spent the days with friends. It is a lot of fun and I find myself already looking ahead to next year's fests. Photo: Mine
• Preston, England
I took part in many historic re-enactment shows last decade - loved them
@FayeHazel (17093)
I think that is awesome! I hope you get a chance to do it again
• Preston, England
@FayeHazel me too, it is only lack of money that keeps me from rejoining
@FayeHazel (17093)
@arthurchappell - that is so difficult...
@CoolPeace (1593)
• Miami, Florida
I went to a festival once and it was nice and good food.
It is a big thing in Colorado during the summer. It's fun. I've been twice.
@FayeHazel (17093)
That's awesome :-) I love these things and try to go every year
@FayeHazel - I wonder if it's the same one. Do they have Puke and Snot?
I have heard of them, but never actually been to one. It sounds like great fun.
@FayeHazel (17093)
I hope you get to go. I love going to them :-)
You really did have a good time!! When I taught, our 5th grade classes would always attend a Renaissance festival. We all had such fun!
@FayeHazel (17093)
That's a great idea for kids
@Plethos (10262)
ive gone to a few renfens in the past. as a guy, i like to admire the period dressings of the females.