No more free stuff for Amazon reviews!

@Bella128 (2484)
Want to know a secret? I'm a top reviewer on Amazon. Okay, so that's not the BIGGEST secret in the world BUT I must say because I'm a top reviewer over the years I've received free items from companies so that I could test them out and then leave them a review on Amazon. Well guess what...Amazon has now banned this type of activity. Were you aware that many of the reviews on Amazon were by people who were given the product for free in exchange for a review? I've always enclosed a disclaimer in my review stating that I was getting the item for free but now Amazon is not even allowing that. Do you use Amazon? Do you ever read the reviews? Have you ever written a review yourself?
@akalinus (12550)
I have reviewed books I bought on Amazon. I have never gotten anything for it. How come some people do?
@Bella128 (2484)
Basically you have to be a "top reviewer" and have your email posted on your profile. That's how I was getting everything. I'm in the top 3,000 right now but I was in the top 2,000 for about 6 months or so. I was getting 5-10 emails a day from companies asking if I wanted to review their products for free. The last couple of days I didn't receive one email which I thought was weird then I saw an article online about how Amazon changed their policies. . . I do have to say though, Amazon has their own review program called Amazon Vine. That, however, is an invitation-only program though so that's the only way people leaving reviews on Amazon will be getting free products anymore. They won't be able to do what I was doing which was getting the products directly from the sellers.
@akalinus (12550)
@Bellatricks I just read something online about Amazon Vine. Apparently, people were putting down a book that they did not read. It was not published yet. Amazon kept inviting me to post book reviews. I did but stopped because it seemed a waste of time to do it when I had so much other stuff to do. I never got anything for the reviews.
@Bella128 (2484)
@akalinus Amazon Vine does give products to people before it's even released so that's not unheard of. I do think a lot of people just give a quick 5 star review and not even full read the book or test the product etc. You're right about the "waste of time" because I had to take breaks from doing the reviews every now and then because it was really time consuming writing a good review! And what I mean by "good review" is that I would take the time to really test a product, take pictures of it, and then write a semi-long review talking about the product in detail. That's why my ranking is so high, because I do actually take the time to write a review that's helpful, but yeah it is time consuming, almost like a second job!
@carebear29 (27465)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
You still can get free stuff but just can't do product reviews anymore. I still do
@Bella128 (2484)
Yes, but companies aren't going to be sending out free items anymore if they can't get reviews for them. It wouldn't benefit them at all to be doing that.
@carebear29 (27465)
• Wausau, Wisconsin
@Bellatricks I am still doing it until they shut down lol
Are you talking about Amazon Vine or do you use another program? I review a lot of the items that I buy on Amazon but thats it. Sorry ti hear they are banning the free things though.
@Bella128 (2484)
It's not a program at all. People would post their emails on their Amazon profile and then companies/sellers would email them directly asking if they wanted to review their product. In most cases they would then just give you a code for you to use in checkout to get the item for free. That's how the reviews say "verified purchase" even if the buyer got it for free. Amazon Vine is still up and running and appears to be the only thing allowed now in regards to getting free items for review purposes.
I have used Amazon and left reviews but never for something free. That would have been awesome! Sorry they banned it now.
@Bella128 (2484)
Amazon still has their "free product" review thingy.. it's called Amazon Vine and I'm hoping that I might get selected for that. That's where the good stuff is! lol! I would get contacted from companies directly to get free items for review but it was all off branded and generic stuff so I'm not too upset about it all coming to an end.
Yes! And our posts will be removed but we won't be banned. I always enclosed a disclaimer too! And, even the ones I paid a discount will be eventually removed to per the email!
They are going through every one - wow - that's time comsuming.
@AbbyGreenhill The email said some of my reviews will be removed. I just checked my profile and none of mine has been removed. My rating still remains the same. Top Reviewer Ranking: 87,097 Helpful Votes: 72 This is the email: Hello, Based on a policy change to our Community Guidelines, some of your reviews will be removed. We recently updated this policy to prohibit incentivized reviews, which includes those posted in exchange for free or discounted products. Incentivized reviews posted prior to this policy change are being retroactively removed if they are excessive or do not comply with the previous policy. Your reviewing privileges will not be affected by this action, but you will not be able to resubmit the reviews that were removed. To learn about our review policies, please see our Customer Review Creation Guidelines (
http://www.amazon.com/review-guidelines).
@Bella128 (2484)
@infatuatedbby Yes, I got that same email yesterday! My stats are: Helpful votes 1,225 Reviewer ranking #3,124 They appear to be the same as they were yesterday. :)
really? how sad!
• New Delhi, India
I always look for product reviews when shopping online... But did not know the reviewers were given the products for free...
• Portland, Connecticut
I have bought things I actually bought but never got any free.
@RitzzView (2782)
So good to know this! Pure business strategy, getting review for the free products. ;)
@ms1864 (6949)
• Bangalore, India
They are probably banning it because we as customers do not take the reviews seriously if we know that the person giving the review got the product for free. It is a trust issue. I read reviews all the time....but in India i don't think companies can afford giving anything for free...especially for reviews....some sites only allow genuine buyers to review the product...and there is where i go.
• Denmark
Yes, yes and yes. :-)