I was floored by trusting the wrong employee . . .

Well I have been working for the same wonderful catering/staffing firm for almost 19 years and have come across many employees who had their own strange personalities and behavior. I am usually a pretty good judge of character and find most assistants I work with personable; however I was quite wrong with one. Three weeks ago a young lady and I were working with a guy who has been part of our company for about a decade and usually his work is okay and he gets good tips and makes nice with the clients; however this person is not to be trusted as I thought and he cost me and this young lady our gratuity and almost our job. He stole liquor from the clients cabinet, smoked weed on the job and got lippy with me and other gal. Turns out he is a convicted criminal with a list of felonies and not only was I shocked and disappointed, so is my boss who has now fired him due to me and some other clients intervention procedures. In the mean time, we meaning me and this other lady are not sure we will ever see our gratuity (as much as $100 for the three days work) or if we will ever be called back to that clients needs or events. It is frustrating and sad that someone always professing that Jesus loves him and that he is eternally blessed can be so darn two-faced. Has this ever happened to you, trusting the wrong person and what would you do in this situation ?
• Eugene, Oregon
In my experience, the more sanctimonious the person is, the less I trust them.
James, thanks for writing this, I wanted to say the same, but I did not dare.
James I am hugging you through this platform, you are absolutely correct but I wish I would of heeded my own gut feeling about him BEFORE accepting to work with him on a job. Thank goodness he is no longer part of our team as I got word yesterday that on Monday night he was in fact, FIRED ! serves him right and have a beautiful day @JamesHxstatic
• Eugene, Oregon
@enlightenedpsych2 It truly does serve him right.
I think that it happened at least once in the life of everyone to trust someone and find later that we did something wrong. I cannot say that this happened to me, I have a sixth sense for those people and it's a shame that my husband did not listen. He lost a lot of money due to a cheater.
He ruined himself in the process and until I get my gratuity on that job, I shall keep my fingers crossed for it (hope you will too) but knowing I was wrong about someone, kind of floored me as I said. Thanks Anna for commenting and so sorry your hubby did not heed your sixth sense warning
@enlightenedpsych2 I think that people need to build personal experience, my husband did not listen, but from that day on he never did something if I suggested to stay away from a proposal. It was a lesson learned.
@LadyDuck and a darned good one too ! Isn't it wonderful when our mates take us seriously ??
@thelme55 (14571)
Yes, it happened to me though in other way. Since then I don't trust that person anymore.
I suppose we live and learn with everything in life but I was sure he was one of the good guys . . . Thank goodness he is no longer part of the team as he was definitely fired Monday evening @thelme55 have a beautiful day my dear friend
@hereandthere (31018)
if only what he did only affected him, right? it stings even more when it affects your job, too, or the company as a whole because then everybody loses.
He is no longer part of the company as of Monday evening . . . thanks for visiting @hereandthere
@enlightenedpsych2 i hope the client has been informed he's been sacked and call you both back
@hereandthere I believe she has and I saw my boss today who was in near tears for her denial and since she does NOT perform back ground checks, she is certain we will loose many clients. I assured we will not and told her we all make mistakes and that we will learn from this move on and be back in business in no time ! thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend coming up
I think it got you thinking that he is good because he shows so much goodness when in front of people . But on the backseat he does those bad things . We do can be deceived sometimes by some pretentious people , and that is just but natural , my friend . But at least we learn our lesson .
Yes I certainly learned a lesson about 'sanctimonious persons' @SIMPLYD !
I have come across employees who were dishonest, I had to fire them but it is always disturbing when we get hoodwinked by someone, it makes us question our ability to find quality people.
Yes hoodwinked is a great word for what I felt, thanks @BelleStarr
Some people are real con artists - good at pulling the wool over others' eyes.
Yep that sanctimonious rat has been doing so for too long and finally met his match and it was NOT pretty ! Thanks for visiting @JudyEv
@UncleJoe (9942)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
Yes, it's happened to me. I trusted the wrong person enough to marry her. Love is blind.
Oh wow now that is a heart break, so sorry to hear non-compatibility did NOT offer you some insight @UncleJoe and I am hoping that is behind you and you are divorced from that person ?
@UncleJoe (9942)
• Virginia Beach, Virginia
@enlightenedpsych2 Oh, yes. That was nearly 50 years ago.
@UncleJoe and you have healed realizing it was her misconception of you and better left than sticking around to give her more power, good to hear !
@artemeis (4017)
Sorry to hear about this. This is the reason why I am very cautious with people around me and this is one of the reasons why I will always keep my guard on with people since we won't be able to really know just when they will suddenly turn to be the worse of themselves.
It is like the Jekyll and Mr. Hyde syndrome-- every individual has the two sides, knowing which one to use more often seems to be the confusing dilemma @artemeis and thanks for visiting
@artemeis (4017)
@enlightenedpsych2 Thank you for your post too. I really find this quite relevant and I just want to add that there are even betrayals among the best of friends and what more is this staff that has been working together for years. Just be on your toes and always expect the worse so that you won't fall so badly like this time. Take care.
@artemeis aw thank you kindly for the encouragement-- yes indeed the shields are up and mainly with fellow employees who are 'new' to me but 'old' to the company will certainly not be trusted till it is truly earned. I shall be on my best observance
@CoolPeace (1593)
• Miami, Florida
What I have done is stop associating with the person that prove to be two faced.