Surf's Up Dude!

@moffittjc (47304)
Gainesville, Florida
I got a call last night around midnight from a girl I used to date who lives up in South Carolina. She was calling to ask me if I wanted to drive up to meet up with her in Charleston to go surfing. Mind you, Hurricane Matthew is battering the South Carolina coast today. Because of the storm surge, there will be huge swells pushing onshore today, and this girl is convinced it would be great surfing weather! I had to remind her that all the roads heading east toward the coast are closed, and that emergency officials are only letting people head west as they evacuate the coastal areas. Being that she lives inland from the coast, she hasn't been fully aware of how bad this hurricane has been as it slices its way up the eastern seaboard. So, no, there won't be any surfing today! She was pretty crazy to suggest it given the situation, but I have to admit there was a small part of me that wanted to grab my surfboard and jump in the truck and head up to South Carolina! Trust me, as the hurricane approached, I had given some thought to whether or not it would be good surfing weather! My broken ribs are still healing, although I'm not in pain anymore, and my follow up doctor appointment is on the 18th, so it's best if I don't do anything crazy before then!
I guess surfers will be surfers and will go wherever the waves are. This seems very foolhardy however. I'm glad you had enough sense to decline her invitation.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
If it would have been anyone else, I would have said she was joking, but I know this girl too well and know that she was being serious! She's dragged me off on many a surfing adventure.
@moffittjc She sounds a lot of fun. Don't forget you're both getting older though. Our news showed someone going for a swim when the storms were on and the comment was 'some people never learn'.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
@JudyEv She is a lot of fun, and that's why we have such a good bond!
I think that the fun ends when you see the danger. Too many people are not rational and they think that everything can be funny. Big mistake! Stay home.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
She'll be coming down to Gainesville in a couple of weeks, if the surfing report is good, we can drive over to St. Augustine and catch up on our surfing!
@moffittjc I would kill my husband if he would plan to do something with one of his "ex".
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
@LadyDuck Well, I'm not married, so I don't have to worry about that at the moment! haha. But I get what you're saying. And if I was married, I wouldn't put myself (or my wife) in a precarious position like that!
@sol_cee (18426)
• Japan
Hormones! lol
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Hormones, or adrenaline? lol
@sol_cee (18426)
• Japan
@moffittjc Raging hormones! lol
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
@sol_cee She wanted me to go surfing due to raging hormones?
I can see why you would be tempted! A wild ride it would be.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
It was very tempting! I do like a sense of adventure, as well as a good challenge. But I'm also old enough to be rational in thought and to weight out the benefits against the risks.
Once I was in P.C. when a tropical storm was headed that way, not there but headed that way. I was walking on the beach above the sucked out sand, in the dry sand, and all of the sudden a wave came up and it, knocked me down! And I wasn`t the only one. I went home that evening, going to P.C. and no beach just sucked.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
There normally isn't big waves in the Gulf, especially around PC, so you know a big storm is coming when you have big waves there!
I hope to God that girl was joking with you - if not, she's insane and please stay away from her LOL.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
She's a real sweetheart, but when it comes to surfing, she's always up for an adventure!
@ms1864 (6974)
• Bangalore, India
Wow...your ex wants to get you killed by the ocean.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Nah, I don't think so. She and I are really good friends.
@sugartoes (43786)
• Greencastle, Indiana
THANK GOD you decided against the idea of heading up there cause they have a LOT of damage up that way & you with BROKEN ribs YEAH you did the right thing in staying put.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Although the thought did appeal to me (I love to surf), I had no plans to leave the comfort of my home to drive off into a hurricane to do something crazy!
Those ribs are what you should have thought about first. I feel sorry that your going through that. I hope your good from here on out. Surf on...
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
I've been feeling really good lately, so the ribs are healing nicely. I have two more weeks before I go back to the doctor to see if I'm in the clear. Trust me, I'm taking it easy until such time as I am fully healed.
@5thHouse (1692)
• Sheffield, England
Quite exciting to get a call from an old flame, even if it wasn't practical to meet up.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Haha, yeah we are still good friends! We tease each other that we're going to marry each other someday. We still like to have fun together every once in a while.
Yeah totally does not sound like a good idea Especially since you're still recovery from your broken ribs!
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, everyone keeps reminding me of my broken ribs. You guys are taking all the fun out of my adventurous life! lol
@moffittjc Too adventurous I have never broken anything
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
@infatuatedbby I can help you with that! It's fun breaking bones and whatnot! lol
moffittjc I agree it's best that you don't go or you will be dealing with a lot more than broken ribs!
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Last time the two of us went surfing, I did get banged up pretty bad on some coquina rocks! Plus, sharks were following me around the whole time! They never messed with her, they were just swimming around me! lol
@moffittjc Since she doesn't sound too smart wanting to go surfing in a hurricane maybe the sharks were afraid they might eat her and lose their smarts lol! They wanted you because you are smart! But on a serious note, i have read that sharks don't usually bother with people unless the human is agitating them like trying to feel what a shark feels like and that gets the shark mad. I would assume you two were disturbing their water. They don't hurt people who ignore them!
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Marty1 They often attack surfers, because from underwater, a human paddling on a surfboard looks like a fish or seal to them, and so they mistake us for food. Believe it or not, sharks don't like the taste of people, and would prefer not to bite us! It's usually a case of mistaken identity when they bite us!
Did she get hit in the head with a surfboard? That has to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard, call me crazy but no wait call her crazy!! lol I think your kids might miss you if you were killed by a hurricane size wave!!
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
She's just an adventurous girl! When you're a die-hard surfer, you take every chance you can get to catch the big waves!
I hope your ribs are doing much better now.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, they are healing nicely! I haven't been feeling any pain lately. Can't wait to be able to do active things again soon! I'm ready to go surfing! Or skydiving! lol
@LoriAMoore (4693)
Glad you passed on the chance this time. Maybe soon.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, she'll be coming down to Gainesville in a couple of weeks when South Carolina plays the Gators in football. If the surf report is good, we may head over to St. Augustine and do a little surfing.
I was wondering if you were okay. Only a crazy person would go to the coast with a hurricane coming in. I didn't think that would be you. Glad to hear you're fine, sorta.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yes, I'm doing well Elizabeth! I was the lead on an emergency response team yesterday assisting with search and rescue efforts in Flagler Beach, Florida. Our task force of 12 responders went from house to house checking on everything. It was a long and busy day (we work 12 hour shifts), but thankfully we did not find any serious injuries or fatalities in our search grid. Thankfully, most people along the coast heeded the warnings and evacuated.
@moffittjc Great. I'm sure the authorities using phrases like, "It will kill you," helped.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
@ElizabethWallace I think phrases like that definitely did help this time. This is the first time I have ever seen authorities use phrases like that! Not even when Andrew and Katrina were approaching did they use such matter-of-fact language. I think it made people realize "hey, this sh*t's for real this time!"
@Jannifer (41)
That is not too cool. Remember she was a girl you use to date....humm
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
I am still friends with lots of girls I used to date. Life is too short to hate. I'm even best friends with my ex-wife.
@moffittjc I have to say I am friends also with my ex and I was just joking on other comment
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
@Jannifer Don't worry, I get teased about it quite often!
@RitzzView (2758)
Is it that you can't go out with her later?
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Yeah, we could go surfing any time, but she wanted to go while the waves were really big due to the hurricane.
@RitzzView (2758)
@moffittjc hope she would call you agai . . when waves are peaceful..:)
And they got battered by the storm! Wise decision on your part!
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
I saw what the hurricane did to the coastal cities of north Florida, so I could only imagine it was just as bad in South and Norther Carolina! I didn't want to have any part of that!
@moffittjc The Carolinas really got blasted. We were very, very fortunate. This time. Ugh!
@silvermist (20096)
@moffittjc I am all for adventure.But what about your healing ribs?Do not be a bad boy.Have patience.
@moffittjc (47304)
• Gainesville, Florida
Don't worry, I was a good boy! No surfing for me during the hurricane1
@silvermist (20096)
@moffittjc Okay ,that is a relief.Take care.