Large Lap Dog (Animal Story 3)

pointer
Denmark
I love cats and cats love me. I know international cat speak, cat Esperanto so-to-speak. When I see a cat in a foreign country, I call it. More often than not it comes running to me miaowing loudly wanting to be stroked. I don't touch them all, of course, but I always communicate with them for a while. I have nothing against dogs. I'd say I'm indifferent to them. Yet many dogs like me. I have no idea why. Some years ago a German friend of mine invited me and my husband to her wedding in Italy. She married an Italian. There were German, Italian and also some Spanish speaking guests. The reception was in her tiny flat (these were our student days), and soon a lot of noise ensued. She had a pointer which she had found in a garbage bin in Spain. It was a fine looking dog. It served as her guard dog because the Spaniards thought that it was dangerous and kept out of her way. In fact, it was rather stupid. It often hit its head at lampposts when it was looking at female dogs (correct term not allowed here!). Anyways, when the party began, it hopped onto my lap. I wasn't any too pleased. A grown-up pointer is quite heavy. Besides, its head was just in front of mine. We were sitting in a circle and I couldn't see the people opposite me anymore. I could only talk with my immediate neighbours or around the dog's head. I asked my friend if I had to endure this. She said, "Yes, you have." She told me that the dog was nervous what with so many roistering people it didn't know. I should consider it an honour that it had chosen me for protection. Well, what could I say. I occasionally managed to get to the loo, but whenever I came back, the dog hopped onto my lap again. Certainly, a wedding reception worth remembering! ----- photo: fir0002 | flagstaffotos.com.au ----- If you're interested in other animal stories, click on the green box above the title.
@Inlemay (17336)
• South Africa
ha ha ha I can just imagine what that looks like - My Labrador Shilo loved to hop onto the couch and try and sneak onto a lap even when she got to be over 50kg - it was such a struggle to keep her off! Lap dog for sure.
@garymarsh6 (12114)
OH lordy, that would have been quite a weight ot have to endure.
@vandana7 (57494)
This is the second cute post I have come across today.. that is so sweet. @TheHorse, @Daljinder, @hora_fugit, @DaddyEvil...you gotta read this one..
• Denmark
Thanks for the compliment and the recommendation.
@vandana7 (57494)
@MALUSE .. No ..animals and kids know ...whom to trust...
@Daljinder (19876)
@vandana7 And it appears dog trust @MALUSE a lot. I remember she did another post where dog was being affectionate with her and untying her shoe laces.
@Daljinder (19876)
Wow! The dog like the one in the picture wouldn't even fit in my lap. I like dogs at a certain distance and not in my personal space. I wonder what you remember of the reception since the dog's head was in the way!
I guess. You'd think that the hosts would put the animal in another part of the house. Overwhelming dogs and wedding clothes don't always go together well.
• Denmark
It was no house, just a small flat/apartment. No free room to put the dog in.
@MALUSE .....That's too bad.
Why don't you pet the cats that like you?
• Denmark
When I see stray cats in, say, Italy or Turkey, I don't pet them for health reasons.
• Japan
I magically attract animals too.
You are a dog and cat magnet!!! So kind of you to lend your lap to that nervous pup!
@5thHouse (1703)
• Sheffield, England
I'm definitely a cat person. Whenever I go into a house where a cat lives, it will be on my lap the moment I sit down. I think cats just seem to know someone is a cat lover.
@ms1864 (7001)
• Bangalore, India
I guess being a cat person it is unusual for you....I am a dog person...i have always had dogs..so naturally i would LOVE it if this happened to me....i might have even taken it out to play! But that sure would have been a huge dog to have on one's lap!
@thelme55 (11858)
You are dogs friend. Dogs can smell it whom they can trust to.
@SophieY (878)
• South Africa
Big dogs also want a lap to sit on - they don't see themselves as BIG
• Denmark
Do animals see themselves at all as something? I think only apes do.
@SophieY (878)
• South Africa
@MALUSE I think dogs regard us as friends and cats as companions don't you think
@acelawrites (10745)
The dog really liked you; you can be a dog or cat whisperer!
• Denmark
Maybe dogs would listen, but I'm sure you could whisper as much as you like, a cat wouldn't be interested.
@hora_fugit (5435)
The dog must have been feeling on the top of the world!
• Denmark
Flatterer!
That is wonderful. He felt safe with you even though it was not very comfortable for you.
We have something in commons, I love cats, cats love me, but also dogs seem to appreciate my presence. Something similar happened to me in France. We were at a restaurant, I had just ordered and suddenly a small poodle escaped from her owner and jumped on my lap. We had a hard time convincing the dog to go back to her owner.
• Portland, Connecticut
Evidently, you have something in your nature that reassures dogs.
• Denmark
That seems indeed to be the case. I've never had a dog, though.
• Portland, Connecticut
@MALUSE I love dogs but I also like cats, I prefer smaller dogs these days.
This is a great site for picking up on 'naughty' words. I baby-sat a dog once as the people I was staying with had to go out. I was a bit nervous of this dog but all was well until there was a crash of thunder. She was in my lap in a flash and stayed there till the storm passed. I've enjoyed your animal stories. I can't understand how I missed so many of them - but I've caught up now. I hope there are some more in the pipeline.
• Pleasant Hill, California
Did he have the decency to lie down in your lap sometimes so you could converse with the people opposite you?
• Denmark
No. He was straight upright all the time listening intently to our conversations.
I also love cats.