Sneaky Supermarket Tricks...

@amandajay (17827)
Sri Lanka
Do you ever wander through the grocery store and end up spending more than you were budgeting for? Don't blame your self for that, Supermarkets actually have several different strategies to trick customers into blowing bucks. Be on the alert and watch out for the sneaky psychology tactics these stores will try to use on you. Here are some of the tricks they use..... Have you noticed ever??? 1) 10 for $10 - Sounds like a great deal, but you still get the same saving if you buy only one.... 2) Growing Carts - The larger the cart, you'll end up spending more. use hand baskets... 3) Precut vegetables and Fruits- this seems less work, but more expensive than whole items..... 4) Items at the Checkout counter - to get you to succumb to last-minute purchases while you're waiting in line...... 5) Eye level trick - Items that are placed at eye level on the shelves tend to be pricier name-brand goods at high cost...Check out the lower shelves for the similar items that have lower prices and fewer markups... 6) Fragrant Items in the Front - Flowers and other pleasant-smelling items like baked goods are often put in the front of the supermarket, so you'll be sniffing sweet scents when you first walk in.... 7) Essentials at the Back - Many of the essentials are in the back of the store or in the middle somewhere, and not in the front. That's because supermarkets want you to walk through the store to reach them and hopefully pop some items into your cart along the way...... 8) Colorful Produce - Being hit with splashes of color in the produce aisle right when you walk in the store will put you in a good mood and will make you want to buy more...... 9) Club Cards - Sure, you are a proud card-carrying member of your local supermarket chain, but it's one strategy grocery stores use to build customer loyalty. It influences you into buying all of your groceries from the supermarket that you're a member of..... 10) 99 Cents Psychological Pricing - Tagging a product with 99 cents can make consumers automatically round down. If you price an item for $1.99 vs. $2, the theory is consumers will associate the product with $1 rather than $2..... (resource -
• Denmark
Yes, I know all this. It's fascinating that all these tricks work, isn't it? If you don't want to fall for them, make a list of the things you want to buy and stick to it and don't go shopping when you're hungry.
@amandajay (17827)
• Sri Lanka
yes... you are absolutely correct... better to bring a list
• Denmark
@amandajay I always write a list. I write down the things as they're placed on the shelves so that I don't have to wander back and forth through the supermarket and lose time.
@amandajay (17827)
• Sri Lanka
@MALUSE mmm good idea, I should write down a list next time.
have a budget and no matter what I am sticking to it. I will often leave my extra money at home.
• Denmark
That's a good idea. I bet you don't go shopping with a credit card! This is an invention of the devil. :-)
@amandajay (17827)
• Sri Lanka
@sharon6345 wow.. thats a great idea. @MALUSE ohh credit cards.... truly, its the invention of devil
• Denmark
@amandajay Btw, do you know that your photo is sideways?
@akalinus (12424)
Our Walmart just changed everything around. Now, I can wander through the aisles looking for stuff and often not finding it. It is extremely frustrating.
@amandajay (17827)
• Sri Lanka
that is also a trick of them
@akalinus (12424)
@amandajay There are better places to shop in but they are so much more expensive than Walmart Supercenter. I was really upset looking for things the other day.
If you have a budget no matter what tactic or trick to spend more should NOT entice you to exceed it. I think the key here is willpower and the ability to think better . . .
@amandajay (17827)
• Sri Lanka
well said
@rina110383 (21957)
No, because I always bring a list with me and just enough money to cover those items on my list. Also, I walk fast. I'm a very impatient person. I don't want spending unproductive hours looking at items displayed in the store.
@amandajay (17827)
• Sri Lanka
a brave kitty... yes what you are doing is pefect