Six Weeks Paid Vacation!

@Morleyhunt (17107)
Are you envious of the six weeks paid vacation I received, every year while my children were growing up. Friends, relatives and even strangers would tell me how fortunate I was to have so much time off work every year. My answer was, the job works for me, in my situation, but you (friends, family,and strangers) actually have much more time off work than I do. This was always greeted with disbelief. Then I would explain. Some would still have trouble with the concept that I worked more days than they did. Let's begin by explaining my job. I managed two poultry growing barns. The job required me to go to the barn 7 days a week.....winter, summer.....every day. If there were chickens in the barn I went to work. My barn was empty twice a year for three weeks, between flocks. The average person gets two days a week off work (weekend or equivalent) that equals, 104 day a year. This same person also gets at least 10 statutory holidays per year, plus their. Two weeks paid vacation (10 days). This totals 124 days off work each year. My total time off work each year was a mere 42 days. Do you still want to trade?
I think that is great that you got to have that much time off with your children. It is nice to have more then a few days off at a time so you can do fun things together. I don't envy you though because I could never do the job that you did.
@Morleyhunt (17107)
The children knew an awful lot about chickens. I raised broiler breeders. They came into my barn as day old chicks and after twenty weeks were moved to a laying barn....there were two things I did not do..I did not shovel manure and I didn't pick eggs.
@Morleyhunt oh ok. I wouldn't mind picking eggs but I don't think I would like to shovel manure.
@Morleyhunt (17107)
@Happy2BeMe picking eggs can be backbreaking work. My husband, son and son inlaw helped out in the laying barns on weekends for bonus pay.
I think that's what grandpa did, he was always raising chicks then he'd barter with his neighbors once they were old enough and either the hens could lay or the roosters were large enough to eat. I can only imagine that it was a lot of work.
@Morleyhunt (17107)
Managing the poultry barns worked for me because when I started the job I brought my not quite two year old daughter to work with me. This way I didn't need to pay for child care. By the time she was three years old see could talk intelligently about chicken ailments. Imagine hearing a three year old say coccidiosis, or synovitus. She knew about feed chains and augers and loved helping me spread grit once a week. It wasn't a bad job, and I was well paid for the work I did.
Sounds like the kind of job I'd always dreamed of @Morleyhunt but now I don't want a job I like what I'm doing
@Morleyhunt (17107)
@rebelann in just under three weeks my nest will be empty again. I'll go on a weeks vacation and then come home to a new normal.
@Platespinner (19022)
I don't get any paid vacation...but wouldn't trade my job for anything.
Not in this lifetime.
@Morleyhunt (17107)
It paid the bills, it was honest and suited our families needs at that time.
Although I'm retired, I wouldn't have wanted to trade my career as a teacher for any other. I always had the entire summer off, winter and spring vacations, and a multitude of holidays off as well. All paid. Well, in a contract. Retirement to me is one huge paid vacation! Lol!
You are one very hard-working woman!!! I would not have traded.
@Morleyhunt (17107)
There were a lot of days that I only had to work three hours a day.....the downside....if something went wrong, I might be putting in a 20 hour day.
@Morleyhunt 20 hours would have killed me!!!
@Morleyhunt (17107)
@Corbin5 after the 20 hour stretch, I took a sleeping bag to the north side of our house, tossed it in the grass and told my children....unless the house is on fire, or someone is dying...DONT WAKE ME, I have awesome children. They would have been about 8-18 at that time.
@cindiowens (3916)
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
No thanks. That doesn't sound very appealing once you break it down.
@Morleyhunt (17107)
So many people only see the six weeks of paid vacation. It was a salaried position. On days when everything went well I would joke about earning $1.00 a minute...when things went wrong....not enough.
• North Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
@Morleyhunt Salaried positions sounds good, but with all of the overtime hours spent, they are really not all that great. I held a salaried position at a nursing home. When things went as planned it was pretty good. When a snow storm came, not so good, as I slept there and worked.
@Morleyhunt (17107)
@cindiowens it averaged out to be a more than fair wage. In the 12 years I worked for them...one 20 week stretch didn't balance out....we had one problem after the other. The next year, one of the other farm managers had a heart attack and I was asked to fill in for a month (my vacation time). I was paid double for four weeks. They also paid generously into a retirement account.
I saw that coming figuring it was found in the weekends. Right now in my life, I'm on permanent paid vacation - it's called retirement. Now would you like to trade? I love retirement. My time is completely my own.
@Morleyhunt (17107)
I could write a book about my retirement. My life is not my own.
@Morleyhunt Sounds like a great title.
@Dextoi (1958)
I think that job is something that I really like to do. I love to work in a farm like my father. He works in a farm everyday. It is hard work but is very rewarding. But I still have to go to work in a university so I can barely help him tend the poultry and plants.
@Morleyhunt (17107)
Some people make great farmers...others, no keep them away from the farm.
@Dextoi (1958)
@Morleyhunt hahaha... I wonder who those people are. My father was bad at the farm, at first. But he was able to learn a lot and loved what he is doing so far...
Wow! That is a tough job
@Morleyhunt (17107)
The work itself ws really not that difficult. I often on "worked" for about three hours a day......most of that consist d of walking.
Well when you put it that way it doesn't sound as enticing as your title
@Morleyhunt (17107)
That's why you need to read more than the title.
@shivamani10 (11161)
• Hyderabad, India
No...Never..
@Morleyhunt (17107)
gigglin' :) i used to put'n 10-12 hour days with cattle, horses 'n tendin' the place here. folks used to tell me how they envied me bein' able to 'drop' what i t'was doin' when a need arose. ya know, those folks with their cushy jobs complete with paid time off'n benefits? lol.
@annierose (17419)
That is good to hear! I am a public school teacher and I can go abroad while I am on a vacation and those days are still paid. I feel happy about it. I hope every employee enjoys the same thing. Everybody deserves a paid vacation.
I know what hard work that is. We have chicken farms all around us here in Mississippi. My son did some work on one when he was younger. You deserved your long vacation.
@LoriAMoore (9795)
I had that same argument with people all of the time. I was salaried management working 60-75 hours/week. I had to travel a lot. Someone on my staff would say, "It sure must be nice to be the boss, I'd like your job." I'd say, "Please, please take my job. Because if you add up all of the hours I work, travel time, time away from home, being on call . . . I probably only make $2.00/hr, so you're welcome to my job."
@MarymargII (8435)
• Toronto, Ontario
It is in the amount of days of course!