Learning English is enough?

@ivansin (617)
Hong Kong
In Hong Kong, students have learned English since three years old. So, almost everybody can communicate with others in English. However, when I go to other countries, I used to learn some simple grammars and vocabularies of the countries. For example, I will try my best to use their language to say "I buy this, please.", "Hello", "Thank you", "Sorry", "1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10" and not to use English. If they do not understand what I means, I will use their language to say "English, can you?" . However, my sister said that learning English is enough and we no need to learn Japanese for going to Japan, no need to learn Korean for going to Korea. My experiences told me that in some countries, many people cannot communicate in English very well. So, I still think that learning some simple grammar and vocabularies of other language is need. Do you think that learning English is enough? Any sharing?
@hora_fugit (5437)
If I am going to a non-English speaking country, knowing English is not enough. Would try to know their daily phrases, to say the least.
Sorry, but I don't understand what you're saying here. You had to travel to other countries to learn to say Hello, Thank you and Sorry? You didn't learn to count from 1 to 10 in your school? If so, what do you learn in your schools in Hong Kong from the age of 3?
@ivansin (617)
I means if I go to Japan, I will learn some simple grammar and vocabularies of Japanese. For example, "Hello" and "Thank you" etc in Japanese.
@ivansin (617)
@MALUSE Thank you for telling me you do not understand what I mean. I have edited my message and hope it is easier to be understood. Thanks.
@ivansin Yes, now I get what you mean. I think you should know English well as it is world language No 1. But it's polite and it pleases people if you know something in their language. If you can say 'Good morning/evening/night', 'please/thank you', 'Sorry' etc., people will like that.