Do you have beggars where you live? Do you give them money?

Walnut Creek, California
I did it again the other day. I was driving to work and encountered one of those beggars at the stoplight with a sign. I rarely give them money, but I offer them Altoids, with are little mints I always suck on when I drive. I always put one in my mouth as I offer them a handful. I try to be cheery, and say, "I have no cash (a lie) but I have these. You want a few to pass the time?" Nobody has ever been resentful or mean. All accept them with a thanks. The guy the other day did the same. Do you have beggars where you live? Standing at stoplights, especially near freeways, seems to be all the rage here. Do you try to give them something now and then? I don't always do the Altoid thing--only when I sense I won't be holding up traffic and have a relatively new box of them.
• Uzbekistan
I occasionally offer to buy them a cup of coffee or a sandwich which has been gladly accepted. I don't like to give money because in Germany most beggars are organised and the money goes to the leader of the gang.
• Walnut Creek, California
They say there are organized "rings" here too.
• Uzbekistan
@TheHorse In Germany, they usually come from Eastern Europe and the Balkans. The beggars are 'poor pigs' as we say. Their bosses earn the money. The beggars are taken by car to the city centres in the morning and collected again in the evening. It's a horrible life.
@vandana7 (69044)
@MALUSE I thought it happens only in India.
@vandana7 (69044)
Honestly pony, it is always a dilemma. Most of them are in those traps for ages. If you give, their gang leader gets, if you don't they lose limb or eyes to get some pity from us. I give sometimes but I am often confused how god allows this.
• Walnut Creek, California
I wonder about this as well.
@vandana7 (69044)
@TheHorse .. One idea I had...but I ain't sure how it would work. Like feed the beggars at temples or churches. Make begging illegal. Beggars fed at temples or churches be given four pairs of clothes and one set of bed. Any area being used as public urinal or dirty thing..the beggars of that area miss out on one meal that day. Time we used their services.
@Jenning (2022)
• Nigeria
Really? Their gang leaders are that terrible?
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
There are quite a few who sit around the city centre asking for cash. The majority of these people are drawing social security and have their rent paid, but still beg as a form of extra income. Most people are aware of this but still give money, which simply promotes it more. I would gladly help anyone in genuine need, but rarely give to these parasites. Sadly those in genuine need are the ones who suffer because of these people.
• Walnut Creek, California
Ah, the ones who really need it make less because the Social Security parasites collect take what might have gone to them?
@Asylum (48215)
• Manchester, England
@TheHorse Yes, plus less people have because of this.
give them
@EddieHands (37792)
I give them a little money. And then I just tell them to act funny and dance for the cAmera.They earn their 25 cents.
• Walnut Creek, California
Oh dear.
@EddieHands (37792)
@TheHorse well they should at least entertain me. Lol
Depends.Sometime I do.First I try to talk with them.Mike works at the homeless shelter and giving them information on this. I do give them a few dollars.I can tell who is the honest one there
• Walnut Creek, California
I'm not sure how easy to tell who is real and who isn't. I think I'm good at it, but I may be deluding myself.
@TheHorse yes,I am sure that you can tell.Have you ever try to talk to them.
@hora_fugit (5430)
Lot of beggars here. I don't give money (or anything) though, as sometimes that leads to untoward results! Just yesterday a child was literally challenging a youth to do something controversial by constantly pestering him. Stalk, overtake, thrust your begging bowl... all those things.
• Walnut Creek, California
Trying to bait the youth to do something bad to him?
@TheHorse A slap at least.
@crossbones27 (22360)
• Redlands, California
I have nothing to give them. Used to have a lot but store owners chased them away. I really wish they would fix this problem right. The problem is we teach now that we all need to beg for money. Businesses have to beg for money. Politicians, schools, hell everything. We need to fix it right and stop this madness.
• Walnut Creek, California
The public schools in the wealthier areas have "fund drives" and are successful in raising money for that new gym, or whatever it is.
• Redlands, California
@TheHorse Granted doing a service, but seen homeless people try that also only to get beat up. See where I am going with this. Kind of funny, but not really funny.
@pgntwo (22752)
• Alanya, Turkey
I don't think they are allowed to loiter at traffic lights here, but they do tend to gather or a local hostel, you run the gauntlet if you park in the adjacent parking lot (car park). Must remember to keep a roll of Polos in my pocket, following your Altoids example...
• Walnut Creek, California
Do they "hit you up" as you get out of your car?
@pgntwo (22752)
• Alanya, Turkey
@TheHorse Those that can stop swaying long enough might try that approach... Others know you've to put coins in one of the two machines to pay for the time you plan to leave your car parked there...
Since I don't have freeways or stop lights near me we don't have beggars...they are out by the interstate but we don't see many beggars very often. No, I don't give them money - some of them drive nicer cars then we have LOL.
@alexjessi (1252)
• Vietnam
In Vietnam is hard to believe them, because they just pretend so I will give them if I can know how are they by asking people around there. But I also try to check how are they, if they are bad I will not give them money, if they are good so I will
• Walnut Creek, California
By good and bad, do you mean how "kind" they are to you?
@alexjessi (1252)
• Vietnam
@TheHorse Sorry I don't understand your question, can you make it looks easier??
@ms1864 (6974)
• Bangalore, India
I give them some money if it an old person. Here we come across them every now and then. There aren't very many in my area though.
• Walnut Creek, California
I try and gauge whether they're sincere.
@ms1864 (6974)
• Bangalore, India
@TheHorse i know...i think that too....we don't give money to children or middle aged people since they can find work....but with the old people my heart melts because people would just overlook them.
@LoriAMoore (4697)
Yes we have them; no I don't give them money. So many are fraud nowadays.
• Walnut Creek, California
What do you think they're doing with the money?
We do not have them in any of the Chicago suburbs in our area, but in the city of Chicago, there are many. When my husband worked downtown, I think on occasion he did give a bit of money or bought them a hamburger.
• Denver, Colorado
If they are panhandling, no. I give the occasional obvious homeless person a buck sometimes if they aren't begging.
• Walnut Creek, California
I gave a dollar to one when I saw him in McDonalds. We actually had a bit of a conversation.
@parpande (673)
• Bangalore, India
@TheHorse I give them money but I have found the same beggars across the streets regularly , some might look elderly and I would help them.
• Walnut Creek, California
Here, there are certain people who "work" certain corners. I wonder how they decide who gets which location.
We had no beggars at all, now it happens to see some, they are surely those who pass the border and come here for the day. The police has asked the population to never give money. We can offer food, clothes, blanket, but NOT money.
@Dextoi (2424)
In our third world country, YES... and a lot. I don't really give money to them. I give food and that's it. I really feel that giving them money will just encourage them to beg for more everyday. Some won't accept food, I just leave them. One of the reasons why I don't give money is that, I don't bring extra money when I leave home.
• Walnut Creek, California
Interesting that some won't accept food. Do you suspect they're using the money for something else?
beggers are criminals in the 3rd world
@Dextoi (2424)
@TheHorse for something else, yes.. It's a common sight when street kids go sniffing rubber cement when they can finally afford one.
@PurnaSharma (2175)
I believe that if we stop giving money or anything else, the beggars get vanish itself.
• Walnut Creek, California
You mean they'll starve and die off?
@TheHorse ...when did I say so? They do beg bcoz they have hope for getting something from us. And they stick to this profession as they have expectations of getting. The day when they realise that there is nothing in this profession, , they try to change themselves and go for other. After all we all lives on adjustment.
@RitzzView (2758)
I usually don't give them money. Sometimes, when I make chocolates, I give it to them.
• Walnut Creek, California
That sounds nice! Could elevate their mood a bit.
@RitzzView (2758)
@TheHorse But its not most of the times that I've given it.
@shshiju (10550)
• Cochin, India
Begging is prohibited in some areas but beggars are all over in India. Some time I give money to them .Some persons are so old and hurt by disease that they can't able to work anymore to earn for life. There are re habitation centers but they don't like to stay there.