Bob Dylan won the Nobel prize for Literature this year.

Chile
I am SO happy! Bob Dylan is the first musician and song writer that wins a Nobel prize in Literature. For me he was part of my youth and I still sing his songs, full of meaning, off tune while in the shower. Many of us will remember his songs and they are part of our memories much more than any book. Blowing in the wind and Like a rolling stone are two of his many songs. They are songs to be thought about, not just sung. And he has also written . For me this is a moment of joy!
• Bournemouth, England
He is regarded as a poet so I can well understand the award.
He is a poet, and a good one. And he was aninspiration for a whole generation.
• Bournemouth, England
@marguicha Have you ever seen him in concert?
@asfarasiknow No. But now I can listen to his songs thanks to Youtube and internet.
I have to respectfully disagree. If you give the prize to Dylan, then you open the door to other musicians and writers of TV shows and movies. You said song, not book. Literature and music are two separate entities.
As a general idea, I agree with you. But in this case, the lyrics are poems and good ones. And the words (not the music) helped change the world in a whole generation. It has nothing to do with TV shoman or even movie scripts.
Bob Dylan : good for him.
@msiduri (5777)
My inner Marxist is telling me that this is how the rebel, the subversive is co-opted, how the radical becomes part of the establishment. I hope he donates the money to some worthy cause.
I wonder what Marxists (inner or not) do things in the US. The coming president election in your country is a sign that they are mute.
@msiduri (5777)
@marguicha I think they've been co-opted into system. Just my humble opinion.
@msiduri I will not get into another country´s politics. But I am truly glad that a wonderful poet who meant so much for an entire generation has recieved this prize. As for Marxists who did not donate their prizes, I can name a few, including our national poet, comunist Pablo Neruda. The only person I remember that did not accept the prize was Jean Paul Sartre.
That is cool.
This is the forst time that a poet-musician ears the prize.
@zebra2222 (4938)
He richly deserves the honor. Very talented song writer with messages that still are meaningful today.
think so too. The lyrics of his songs go far beyond to time when he wrote them.I
Well, that is a very well-deserved award. My husband is a big fan of Bob Dylan.
So am I.
@franxav (4062)
I am glad for Bob Dylan for I too write songs. I may never win a Nobel but I am proud that a songwriter has won the prize for literature.
The most important thing about Dylan is not this prize. his accomplishments through his life are far beyond a Nobel prize. Still, I´m very glad, specially since this is the first time that someone like him his given this award.
That's great!