Beginnings

@xFiacre (8021)
Ireland
I enjoy savouring the opening sentences of some books as I settle to read them once again, narrow doorways that lead into wide open pastures of loveliness or adventure, tasters of delicacies yet to be enjoyed. Among my favourites are the following. Giono's Que ma hour demeure - "It was an extraordinary night". Kazantzakis' Zorba the Greek - "I first met him in Piraeus". The Bible - "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth". Manchette's La position du tireur couché - "It was winter and it was dark". Dostoyevsky's Crime and Punishment - "On a very hot evening at the beginning of July a young man left his room at the top of a house in Carpenter Lane, went out into the street, and, as though unable to make up his mind, walked slowly in the direction of Kokushkin Bridge." Only once the opening sentence has been savoured and the fancies of what is to follow have been allowed to fire up my imagination can I proceed to read any further.
• Olney, Illinois
Well, yeah, okay, but your title made me just have to go pull out my Chicago Transit Authority album... I really need to read 'Crime and Punishment' someday...
@xFiacre (8021)
@jolioetjake Today might just be that day, but you might not have enough whiskey in the house for that adventure right now.
This is one of my favourite: "Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again." The opening line to Daphne du Maurier’s most famous novel, "Rebecca".
@xFiacre (8021)
@ladyduck An impressive, tantalizing opening indeed.
I hope you have fun reading the books that you enjoy.