Special child or just slightly delayed?

The other day me and my friend were talking and she brought up how she thinks my son might be slightly autistic because he is slightly delayed in his speech and throws the biggest and longest tantrums when he doesn't get his way. As a mother, of course I want my child to grow up as normal as possible without anything wrong with him. Maybe I am in denial or what not, but I do not think he is. So, I decided to get a 2nd opinion and ask my mother (dumb move on my part.) She basically compared him to my younger brother who is very autistic and has a learning disability with added bipolar and anger issues. Mind you my son is only 2 1/2 and my brother is 19. My brother was also not even diagnosed until much later in his life. I also asked my friend/babysitter who has worked with special needs kids and she doesn't think he is at all. On my son's last doctor visit we brought up his speech delay and some minor other issues and if he might be autistic and he also disagrees. I know doctors can mis-diagnose all the time so that's the only reason it is still on my mind. I wish it didn't bother me so much that 2 people out of every one else thinks there might be something wrong with my kid. I mean if he is then he is. We would deal with it. But other than his speech delay and the tantrums, he shows no other signs. He is usually very happy and social. He is also very smart and can do a lot of things after been shown only once. His speech is coming along, but like I said it's not as much as it probably should be. Until I get a very real diagnosis from his pediatrician or a different doctor, I am just going to chalk it up to him just being a rambunctious little boy. My father-in-law tells me all the time he acts just like my husband when he was little and my husband is not autistic at all. PS: I have NOTHING against autistic or special needs children at all. Every kid is different and unique.
The only way you will know for sure is to have him tested. I am sure he is just fine but it is bothering you so I think you should make an appointment and then you can have some peace of mind.
Yeah I have thought of doing so. I just feel he is still too young to know for sure.
@DanieGirl80587 My boss's son was the age when he was diagnosed.
@Happy2BeMe Well he has another appointment in Dec. If he doesn't show improvement by then we will bring it up again. There are many spectrums of autism, so I won't know for sure until I get him tested.
@yukimori (9072)
If your pediatrician isn't concerned, I wouldn't be at this point. Toddlers throw tantrums when they don't get their way. It's their way of communicating the huge emotions they're experiencing, and it's really not uncommon for the ones who can't use their words to say "I'm really sad/angry/frustrated!" to have such strong reactions.
Thank you for that. I know he is frustrated a lot because he can't tell me what's wrong or what he wants yet. I do hope in time it'll get better and he will be able to communicate with me more.
Boys develop slower than girls do and they talk at an older age than girls do.
That's what people tell me as well. :-)
The answer would have to come from a pediatrician and perhaps a child psychiatrist. Those who are not in those professions really cannot diagnose any child properly.
Yes. Family, nor friends are doctors.
You could be right but you could also be wrong. I would not worry right away of course but if anything I do know the sooner you find out the better. In the meantime check out this link. Perhaps it can help you.
Learn how to spot the early warning signs of autism and what you can do to help your child.
Thank you. I have actually read up on it and ever did a paper on it for speech in college. That is why I don't think he is. I might still get him tested though.