Part of the furniture

Photo taken by me – my book shelves
Preston, England
One of the oddest expressions I know is that in which a person is described as being part of the furniture – though it is often a status I feel I used to have in my old family home. It can get very easy to take someone for granted and forget they are present. Important family news or changes may not be shared with them. I learned of my Mum’s plans to remarry, and my sister’s plans to move out of our house after her first wedding (of three) when overhearing it mentioned to others – no one approached me directly to tell me about such matters. I’m not sure which part of the furniture I am or which part I’d want to be. Carpet – always under everyone’s feet. Bed – a source of everyone else’s rest and pleasure. Bathtub – Receptacle for everyone else’s muck. TV set – changed at another person’s whim, and stared at constantly. Everyone thinks everything on me is rubbish and threatens to change me for a replacement model – Oh God, I am a family TV set! Now I have my own place and my own furniture. I like to think I am a book shelf, carrying wisdom and entertainment for all. What piece of furniture would you like to be? Arthur Chappell
part of me feels like the toilet since I feel that certain people have, well, pooped on me. But part of me feels like a old teddy bear, loved and cuddled now and then, but not as needed as I once was.
@Jessicalynnt I think most of us feel we are pooped on a least once by someone. I used to say that many of the jobs that I had I was treated like dirt or poop on their shoe.
@Susan2015 indeed, I left a job like that, though turns out more people appreciated me than I realized
@Jessicalynnt That's good to realize that.
We also have this expression and sometimes I feel like a doormat, not for my husband, he is my real only family.
A sofa as my dog always has to sit on my lap. Hope you are enjoying having your own place.
@responsiveme (14290)
I loved this post. Please, I want to be a bookshelf too.....after all I am the bookworm. I love your bookshelves.....put a close up so that I can read the titles, please.
What an entertaining idea, I'll have to think about that. Sorry that you were treated so badly in your family home.
Like you, if I were part of the furniture, I would love to be a beautiful wooden bookcase!
There is nothing better you can be. I think I'd like to be a fly on the wall. Lol!
I would be a chase lounge. A person giving comfort to others.
The CD rack, naturally!
@shshiju (9774)
• Cochin, India
Little Emotional one. I think it is also part of the life. At least they have benefits from you. Expecting return will makes desperation.
@mom210 (6132)
• Atlanta, Georgia
I might be a bathtub. Love this write up, way to cute and correct!
It has changed over time. I would have wanted to be my book shelf for most of my life. But now, with the arrival od laptopand smart TV with Netflix to my life, I might prefer to be the joy of the house and the place to play.
@AkoPinay (11095)
I want to be the dining table. I always think of food food food.
@sol_cee (13959)
• Japan
Lol this is funny.
@LoriAMoore (4926)
Interesting; I'd never heard that expression before.
@1creekgirl (9527)
I guess I would be the cook stove since I do all the cooking. But that's a big way I show my love for my family. You have written a great post!
@ms1864 (6949)
• Bangalore, India
Interesting...something to think on.